(Archived) Evernote for Android v. 3.0 Alpha 1

Philip Constantinou

Hey folks -

Big news. We've got the first prerelease of Evernote for Android v. 3.0. As with other alpha's, this version isn't feature complete and still has some bugs but already has some great new additions:

• [*:32wlb0jw] Shared notebooks: Yes! You can access notebooks that others have shared to you from your phone. Shared notebook can even be synced for access offline by premium users.
    [*:32wlb0jw]Highlighting: We've made a bunch of improvements on search highlighting. Search results are highlighted faster, and we even highlight images. So now, if you snap a whiteboard photo on your phone and search for the words later on you'll see the words on the image highlighted!
    [*:32wlb0jw]Improved search context: We've improved the behavior of the search icon on the header. Now, when you search from a notebook, tag, or linked notebook view, we'll remember where you started from so it's easier to drill down after browsing.
    [*:32wlb0jw]Maps: We've started work on the maps view. From the menu on the home screen you can launch the maps view and see the specific notes on the map. This feature still has a way to go, but it gives you a peak at what's to come.

Shared notebooks are configured in one of three modes: (1) Not synced - no data is stored locally on the phone and shared data is inaccessible (2) Synced - the note information are kept in sync and notes are accessible after the initial down sync or (3) Offline notebook - is the same as #2 but also shared information is available offline and always in sync.

Download this version now at:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Hey,

I'm checking out the alpha on my XOOM.

I'm a premium user, and I love the shared notebooks feature. I hated having to go to the web to access that information. (I'm not a huge fan of the web interface).

The map view looks GREAT! I don't have too many geo-tagged notes (I've never really seen the use in it), but now I may go back and start tagging all my previous notes. I would prefer a different graphic for the locations, though. I think the push-pin graphic feels iphone-y. I would much prefer a graphic like this: http://www.mobiletor.com/img/google-places-kit.jpg . It'd look great in a Evernote Green ;)

Great feature introduction, and I look forward to seeing it on the market :)

ANOTHER THING, though. Will y'all be working on a Tablet-optimized layout using the new Fragment API? I'm a student, and I would love to use my new XOOM as my main note taking device. Since you guys followed the Android UI guidelines, the app still looks good on a tablet, and doesn't break; however, it can look better :)

I like this concept of putting an alpha online for testing. Please continue.

Thanks,

Scott MacWatters

I'm checking out the alpha on my XOOM.

I'm a premium user, and I love the shared notebooks feature. I hated having to go to the web to access that information. (I'm not a huge fan of the web interface).

Cool, although it's work taking a look at:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22392

We've got a lot of great stuff going on.

ANOTHER THING, though. Will y'all be working on a Tablet-optimized layout using the new Fragment API? I'm a student, and I would love to use my new XOOM as my main note taking device. Since you guys followed the Android UI guidelines, the app still looks good on a tablet, and doesn't break; however, it can look better ;)

I like this concept of putting an alpha online for testing. Please continue.

Thanks,

Scott MacWatters

We definitely plan to make a version that works well on Honeycomb and we're really excited that Google has talked about making the Fragments API available statically so we can have one binary that will work on devices that don't natively include Fragments.

We've got a bunch of things to finish up on this release before we start working on the tablet specific version but in the long run we think the Android tablet version could be one of the best Evernote clients.

Hey,

As a developer, I'm also very excited about the posibility of a static library being deployed across all platforms.

However, I'd like to point out a work around. If you have the initial Activity check to see if the platform supports fragments, then you can launch a fragment based Activity on platforms that do support the new APIs. Through this method, you can begin deploying the new layout to users who can benefit from it without breaking the app on old platforms.

I agree the that having multiple applications on the market doesn't make much sense, and really defeats the essense of Android developmemt. Hopefully they can roll out those libraries soon.

Thanks,

Scott MacWatters

PS: link on the work around: http://blog.radioactiveyak.com/2011/02/ ... wards.html

(Also, if you're looking for a few extra hands over there, I'm a college student looking for a summer inteinternship :P)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Give us a full honeycomb version! - PLEASE PLEASE A MILLION TIMES PLEASE

I am regretting not buying an IPAD 2 because my xoom doesnt have a honeycomb version. I have been a loyal premium customer for two years and this is a total disappointment.

I am glad you are working on it. Any ETA? Days, Weeks, Months?

• 5 months later...

When I enter an event on the internet client of google calendar, it syncs immediately with my iphone, but takes hours (literally hours, sometimes 6 hours) to show up on my xoom. The same thing when I enter events on my xoom, they take forever to upload to the other clients.

I have not jailbroken or done anything else to my xoom except install an alpha version of evernote for android 3.0.

Is this a common problem or just me? Any advice as to how I can remedy? I bought the xoom over an ipad 2 specifically for google apps so this is obviously very frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a business servicing saltwater aquariums. I bought this Xoom to help me stay on top of my appointments, keep client information current, and most importantly, send invoices on the job. While I've been able to get all these tasks done now (thanks to this forum). I'm hoping to accomplish one final task. I need to keep notes for all the tanks I clean. For example, when I change filters, or when I add fish. I need dates on them so I know when to change them again, etc.

I know I can use a simple notepad through the app store, but I need to find a note system that syncs online. Currently I have a shortcut to my Google Notebook, which is great, the only problem is I cant work on it offline. Any ideas?

• Level 5*
Any ideas?

Posting in this forum suggests you're looking at Evernote anyway - could you use a calendar link to a note for that installation to remind you that something needs attention on a specific date?

Archived