(Archived) Evernote on the Kindle 3

I love Evernote and really need a way to create notes in the app on my Macbook and sync them to a Kindle 3. Is there any way to do this now? Is an Evernote app for the Kindle in the works? The Kindle is an ideal notes tool for a on-camera host who needs to reference topic/guest info and questions, which is what I need it for. But I can't always count on wifi or 3G connectivity to do this with the Kindle browser. Hence the need to sync my notes to the Kindle. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on a solution.

The search function is your friend:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17504&p=70578&hilit=kindle#p70578

Also, I'm not sure how useful (in general) an EN app would be on a Kindle since the K3 has under 4 gb space & no option to use SD cards. Given that premium EN users can upload a gig a month and free users can upload 60 mb per month, it wouldn't take long before many users' entire database could/would exceed that or at least chew up a lot of it, if notes were to be stored locally on the device, so they were accessible even without an internet connection. So most notes would either need to be accessible only with an internet connection (which, as Dave mentioned in the above link, Amazon pays for) or "favorited" (a temporary work around that was implemented on iPhones) or selectively stored locally by using offline notebooks (available on iDevices & only for premium users.) But given the space limitation, even if the Kindle was dedicated to Evernote (IE not used as an ebook reader), if the user had very many notes (or large notes), they would regularly have to move their notes around to have them stored locally.

Of course, you can always make your notes in a PDF or txt format & either email to your Kindle account or transfer using the cable. (At least you can do this on Windows.)

Great info. Thanks. This space limitation is not a big deal to me since I would only be using 100 megs or less of space at a time on the Kindle, then deleting that before my next use with new material. Mine is not that common of a use -- using it in place of a clipboard as I host a live web video show. I've seen some doing this with an iPad, but I was hoping to consolidate my gear so I can carry the kindle around the book experience, and screen I prefer, instead of carrying to pieces of gear. But I know Evernote wasn't really created, primarily, for the use I have in mind. One more thing. Does anyone know why Evernote notes synced onto an iPad would disappear if I lose my wifi connection? Is a active connection necessary to validate my account or something?

This space limitation is not a big deal to me since I would only be using 100 megs or less of space at a time on the Kindle,

I realize some people may have need for only a small amount of space. But in general, with that limitation (as well as the fact that Amazon is paying for the 3G connection), I'm not sure it makes a Kindle EN app feasible as far as devoting development/engineer time.

Does anyone know why Evernote notes synced onto an iPad would disappear if I lose my wifi connection? Is a active connection necessary to validate my account or something?

Please search the iPhone/iPad section on offline notebooks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm already pretty happy with Evernote, but as someone without one of those fancy phones, I think it would be great the Evernote mobile website worked on the Kindle.

Of course I understand that Kindle does not use the standard web browser, so it's not Evernote fault that it doesn't work. But if Evernote mobile could be tweaked to work on the Kindle that would be all I would need. I think Kindle does have the potential of being a great note taking device. Amazon doesn't even need to know about the tweaks.

That is a good point. Kindle will probably be constantly update since the Kindle is so popular. But the Kindle web browser may update itself to be compatible with Evernote mobile. I went back into Evernote mobile using my Kindle and it almost works now. I can type in my username and password without a problem and I can type in a title for a new note. But for some strange reason I cannot type anything into the body of the note.

• 6 months later...

Even though the post is quite old, perhaps someone still have that issue (like me) that he wants his Evernote notes on the Kindle 3.

I was trying to solve the problem on my Mac via Applescript.

The script is in a very early stage and takes all notes from my Evernote account with a specific tag, converts them to PDF and once the Kindle is connected via USB it's send to the device. This could be also done via email of course (not good me me though)

See the first version of the script here:

http://agileoffice.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... -of-pages/

Perhaps someone can make use of it (or tell me how to make it easier or better) :D

Archived