(Archived) Metrodon's FAQ!!

• Level 5*

A place for me to provide answers to some of the most repeated questions on here (because I'm bored of the same questions filling up the space that could be used more effectively for spam):

Q. Can I link my notes?

A. Evernote does not currently provide this functionality - some users have come up with their own methods and a search of the forum will give you some ideas.

Q. Can I password protect the Evernote application on my Mac/PC/phone?

A. No, use your platform's built in security to protect your data? Evernote allows you to encrypt individual notes, not the application itself.

Q. Can I pasword protect a notebook?

A. No, but you can encrypt the notes within it.

Actually I was wrong - per Jefito: You can't actually encrypt a note, but you can encrypt a note's content (sort of the difference between right-clicking on a note and selecting "Encrypt Selected Note", and making a selection in a note, right-clicking and selection "Encrypt Selected Text").

Q. Is my data safe in Evernote?

A. Evernote takes advantage of pretty standard security and encryption tools - basically, if you'd put it in Dropbox or Amazon S3 or email it, then Evernote is secure enough for you.

Q. Can I have multiple Evernote accounts open on the same computer?

A. You can only have one account logged in via the client application. You can login to the web to access any other accounts.

Q. If I put my data into Evernote, is it stuck there forever in some horrible proprietary format that means I am forever forced to pay $45 a year to subsidise Phil's taste for exotic sushi?

A. No, you can export all your data and notes into HTML (the world's most portable data format apparently). No, there isn't a way to export directly to Word/OneNote, OmniFocus or any other proprietary app.

Q. I want Evernote to be my calendar, reminder app, GTD and To Do list.

A. Well it isn't any of these things - Evernote does have some features that will help you achieve all these tasks (and there are lots of clues on the forum on how to do it).

Q. I'd like Evernote to be just like a word processor and a spreadsheet and a presentation tool, then I won't need any of those things. Can I throw away my MS Office license?

A. No, but you can (if you are a Premium user) store all of the files you create in Evernote and quickly and easily find them across multiple platforms wherever you are. You can even edit the files if you have the application installed on the computer you are using - brilliant eh!!

Q. If I threaten to not renew my Premium account or not to buy a Premium account or not to be able to use Evernote in my huge organization because one key piece of functionality (key to me of course) is not there, will this force the Evernote development team to have a good hard look at themselves before jumping straight onto it?

A. Erm, no, no it won't.

More to come I'm sure...

• Level 5
I would add this:

Yes, the feature you want is very easy to implement (you know this b/c you are a developer - like pretty much everyone else on the board) and EN should be chastised for not adding it yesterday.

Kind of painting with a broad brush?

• Level 5*

One minor, picky correction:

You can't actually encrypt a note, but you can encrypt a note's content (sort of the difference between right-clicking on a note and selecting "Encrypt Selected Note", and making a selection in a note, right-clicking and selection "Encrypt Selected Text").

• Level 5*
You can't actually encrypt a note, but you can encrypt a note's content (sort of the difference between right-clicking on a note and selecting "Encrypt Selected Note", and making a selection in a note, right-clicking and selection "Encrypt Selected Text").

Now, Jeff, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story....

• Level 5*
One minor, picky correction:

I stand humbly corrected....

Archived