(Archived) Sort Order per Notebook

Lougoose

Idea

I know it's been a long time since I've shown my face here, but I'm back!

I have been thinking that each Notebook should have a way to allow for different sort orders. For instance, one Notebook may be sorted by Title, while another may be sorted by date.

Just an idea, something to think about.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Welcome back.

Did you hear that Evernote increased the number of notebooks to 250?

The concept of personalizing the sort order of each notebook is interesting, as long as it does not adversely affect the speed of the program or the search capabilities.

I'll second that suggestion.

I have some notebooks that I use to keep track of temporary stuff (suff to look at later, stuff to buy, books to read ...). I really want this notebook sorted by date as I rarely take the time to enter a meaningful title, or even bother remembering it.

On the other hand, my other notebooks are well organised, with properly tagged and titled entries. These notebooks I'd prefer to see sorted by title and/or tag.

I find myself constantly swearing because I can't find some note .... just because the notebook is not apropriately sorted.

Keeping a separate sort order per notebook would be a tremendous help ... that would go unnoticed very quiclky as it's very natural to anyone who's ever used a computer with a desktop interface.

• Level 5

I find myself constantly swearing because I can't find some note .... just because the notebook is not apropriately sorted.

Instead of pushing for a re-write of the Evernote code, you could rename the notebook with a hint about the sort order - Sort By Date, Sort By Title

Example:

• Temporary - SBD
    Research - SBT

On the Windows desktop (I would guess the Mac desktop functions similarly but can't swear to it), notebooks are easily & quickly sorted by the various fields such as created date, updated date, title, notebook, etc. They are also easily & quickly sorted in ascending or descending order. If you find yourself constantly swearing b/c you can't find something, it would make sense to make that something you check how the notebook is sorted. This is also "very natural to anyone who's ever used a computer with a desktop interface."

Archived