(Archived) How to reference one note

prestongrant

Idea

I have made 2,000 notes in my research using EverNote. I am writing in another program (Word, Scrivener) referencing an EverNote note, say note #237. How can I reference a particular note?

I see the endless requests for hyperlinking, and understand the complexity of implementing. I would be happy with something simpler.. I want ANY way to reference a single note, a simple ID I can cut and paste in text would be more than sufficient.

Help? Or is Evernote the creator of a big pile of stuff with no thought on how to get it back out???

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5
Metrodon: valid point, but I'd rather not have to generate and track the creation of 2,000 unique IDs, and then paste them in one at time.

You said in the original post you have 2,000 notes. You don't need a separate and unique ID for each note. I use the unique ID to track major multi-step projects and might have a total of 25 max. One unique ID can track many notes in a project.

Or perhaps I misunderstood your comment. There really is no need to generate the unique ID's in advance. I use a 6 character alpha-numeric generated by RoboForm on my task bar and it is unlikely I will ever have 2 of the same.

Here is a link with some additional detail.

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22223&p=95580

Keep up the good work metrodon! And listen to jefito's wise words.

This community exists because people like you "share the love" for Evernote to others. I've been mostly on the receiving end until very recently, and now that I feel like I can contribute with something slightly meaningful, I simply do it, hoping to be useful to at least one person.

There will always be people who will critique what you do, and that happens for many different reasons. But I don't want to focus on that. Rest assured that your contribution to the forum is very much appreciated.

Ciao, Luca

Milan, Italy

• Level 5*
To be quite honest with you, it's posts like this that make me want to forget this forum exists and stop offering what little help I can offer to newer users.

But sometimes you do help someone, the light comes on, and all is well. I'd say "stick with it". Some folks just don't really want help, or don't want to hear the answers you give them. But sometimes they do, and that can make an impression on a potential user.

• Level 5*
Metrodon: valid point, but I'd rather not have to generate and track the creation of 2,000 unique IDs, and then paste them in one at time. That is what computers are for, the mindless stuff!

I guess not NeverNote. :(

Shame such a simple request gets ignored. I work in tech, and I'm sure their engineers think this has to be implemented with 97 levels of functionality, rather than just offering a simple workaround for now.

To be quite honest with you, it's posts like this that make me want to forget this forum exists and stop offering what little help I can offer to newer users.

You are rude, ignorant and working in 'tech' I'm sure does not give you great insight into what it's like to produce software that works over as many platforms as Evernote does.

As I've suggested before, if Evernote doesn't do what you want it to do - why not just go and find another application that does? Maybe, seeing as you work in 'tech' you could knock one up yourself over the weekend?

• Level 5*
Shame such a simple request gets ignored. I work in tech, and I'm sure their engineers think this has to be implemented with 97 levels of functionality, rather than just offering a simple workaround for now.

I don't think you've been around for long enough to make that judgment, or maybe you have just accepted the received wisdom that all developers like to put 97 ***** on everything (they don't). My experience is that Evernote rather tends to aim for more simplicity rather than complexity. I think that when they finally implement hyperlinks -- generally acknowledged to be an important feature -- it'll be a lot closer to what you seem to want (at least I hope it is); for now you have to workaround if you want that kind of functionality, which is by definition less than optimal.

Metrodon: valid point, but I'd rather not have to generate and track the creation of 2,000 unique IDs, and then paste them in one at time. That is what computers are for, the mindless stuff!

I guess not NeverNote. :D

• Level 5*
Why not just give each note your own unique ID? Then you'll be able to search for it easily and include it in what I'm sure is your wonderful document.

If you can't manage that and you understand that Evernote are not going to provide note linking in the very near future (if ever), then you have decide whether Evernote's features are sufficient to keep you happy. If not, then good luck with your search for a new application.

• Level 5*
Note to self: don't feed the trolls.

Sorry. No points for making snarky, passive-aggressive comments about folks here in the forum, particularly the developers and those who have helped a many other users in these forums. Not such a great approach when you're asking for help. Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand.

Still looking for whether the web-generated identifier is viewable in the desktop client.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to view this ID in the desktop' It doesn't appear in exported .enex file text, unless I missed it; neither is it in the text of a note exported as HTML. However, generating unique IDs for your own use shouldn't be that difficult; in Windows we have a baked-in program called GUIDGen that can do it; I'm guessing that there must be something analogous for the Mac. You might start with this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_Unique_Identifier. After that, it's all copy and paste...

Burgers: its nice to see in that thread you are bitchy to other people too. I wondered if it was just me. Hope that's working out for you. I'll remember not to take your inevitable next jabs personally.

Sorry, but there's nothing bitchy about my post. Just trying to figure out what you're trying to do in order to help. It can be difficult when the OP is posting statements that contradict each other and vague or incorrect terminology. If you see that as "bitchy", then so be it.

Burgers: its nice to see in that thread you are bitchy to other people too. I wondered if it was just me. Hope that's working out for you. I'll remember not to take your inevitable next jabs personally.

On technical matters...

My goal is to "footnote" my EverNote research in another document. That isn't a link to me, as I don't need the hyperlink functionality, but whatever nomenclature works. Unique ID seems the most descriptive term.

So the synchronized notes generates a unique query string in the URL for each synchronized note. Any way to view that unique string in the desktop client, or is this form of referencing only available through the web?

• Level 5*

Why not just give each note your own unique ID? Then you'll be able to search for it easily and include it in what I'm sure is your wonderful document.

If you can't manage that and you understand that Evernote are not going to provide note linking in the very near future (if ever), then you have decide whether Evernote's features are sufficient to keep you happy. If not, then good luck with your search for a new application.

It relates because a pile of 2,000 objects is not very useful if there is no way to reference one object in the pile.
My point is I don't need a hyperlink, and I see most requests are for more complex functionality. I just need a way to reference items in the storehouse I've created.

It seems you're confusing "reference" with "retrieve". But I'm not sure. You seem to be posting conflicting statements.

Anyway, I have a pile of (well over 2,000) notes that is very useful, even without "referencing" the notes. They are quickly & easily retrieved by using accurate notebooks, titles, tags & keywords & a good working knowledge of the Evernote search engine.

Kinda pathetic, and severely crippling.

I see nothing relating to Evernote that is "pathetic" here or even "severely crippling."

In case you're wanting links to notes:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12465&hilit=link&start=25#p68244

It relates because a pile of 2,000 objects is not very useful if there is no way to reference one object in the pile. I realize you may never need to specifically reference something in your pile, but I do.

My point is I don't need a hyperlink, and I see most requests are for more complex functionality. I just need a way to reference items in the storehouse I've created.

Generating a unique ID for each item in my database cannot be a difficult task, as sequential would be fine. Even Excel spreadsheets have row numbers. How sad this basic database functionality is not available in such a sophisticated program.

Kinda pathetic, and severely crippling.

How can I reference a particular note?

I see the endless requests for hyperlinking, and understand the complexity of implementing. I would be happy with something simpler.. I want ANY way to reference a single note, a simple ID I can cut and paste in text would be more than sufficient.

As you have learned from the "endless requests", there is currently no way to reference a note.

Or is Evernote the creator of a big pile of stuff with no thought on how to get it back out???

I'm not sure how that comment relates to linking to a note, but hey. If you want to get your data out, you can export to html, which is a very common file type and retains your notes as accurately as possible.

Archived