(Archived) Feature Requests: Checkbox++, Screenshot & Delete

I'm a new user of Evernote, and expect to be upgrading to premium given my experiences so far (already installed on 2 PCs, a Mac, iPhone and iPad - I've *never* seen an app with such high quality clients on so many platforms at once!)

There's a few minor items I'd like to see added (to the desktop clients) - I'm hoping this is a good venue to get it into the product consideration backlog:

1. Multiline selection/Checkboxifier: Evernote already lets you bullet or number a multi-line selection to create quick lists. I would like to see the checkbox control (present on Windows client, at least) also behave this way. Currently, it replaces your selection with a single checkbox. It would be great if Evernote noticed that you had a multiline selection, and just placed a checkbox in front of each line of your selection (as defined by a trailing CR). Autoformatting into a list-intented format would be nice, but not as necessary.

2. Clip Screenshot->Active Note: Currently, when you do a "Clip Screenshot" (e.g. Win+PrintScrn), the bitmap is automatically saved as a new note in you active notebook titled "Screen Clip". This is pretty nice, however if you have one or more notes currently open for editing (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-N), I find that my intent is usually to insert the bitmap into a note at the current cursor position (specifically, the last note that had focus). I would like to request that the target of the clip screen be configurable to one of:

• [*:3scmb87r]New note (current behavior)
    [*:3scmb87r]Copy to clipboard - saves only to clipboard, to allow you to paste into a note (or wherever)
    [*:3scmb87r]Insert into active note - auto-inserts at the cursor in the note that last had focus (if no note, default could be either of the above)

3. Quick Delete for open Note: Sometimes I either create a transient note, or edit an existing note in it's own window, and decide to delete the note (e.g. organizing content, completing short task list). The note window (on the windows client, at least) has no way to do this. You have to close the note and then delete it from the note tray. I request having a trashcan or delete glyph (the slanted 'X') on the title bar, probably just to the right of the notebook selector, that would allow you to trash the note. A hotkey that did this would be useful as well (Shift-Del on windows would be one option)

Thanks for a great product, Evernote team!

(Ironically, I cut and pasted the last portion of this post from Evernote, as it appears there's a forum posting (phpBB) bug in the scrollbar behavior on IE that makes the scrollbar jump back up when you try to type after previewing, obscuring your text. Thanks for *not* having bugs like this one in your product :) )

I would like to request that the target of the clip screen be configurable to one of:

• [*:10kxvldt]New note (current behavior)
    [*:10kxvldt]Copy to clipboard - saves only to clipboard, to allow you to paste into a note (or wherever)
    [*:10kxvldt]Insert into active note - auto-inserts at the cursor in the note that last had focus (if no note, default could be either of the above)

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20168#p84129

Thanks! Item #2 was my RTFM moment (or in this case, RTFUI) - sweet! Clearly, I should have looked at this feature more closely before requesting this.

A tweak to auto-paste at the cursor into your last open note window might be a nice feature/alternate destination, but that's definitely low priority now that I know about the clipboard/desktop ctrl/shift overrides.

I think the "checkboxified" list and 'delete for open note' would both still be good enhancements.

I think the "checkboxified" list and 'delete for open note' would both still be good enhancements.

Possibly. But the EN team has a lot of different requests from other users who think their suggestions are good enhancements as well. The EN team has to balance time & engineer hours against the features that are feasible (IE work well across all platforms), will benefit the most people & align with their focus. IE, since EN's focus does not include being a to do/task list, the check box thing may either not be on their list of things to do or else may be very low on the priority scale.

Archived