Editing tags on multiple notes

mattrazzo

Idea

I can't seem to find any reference to this on this site or anywhere else. I can easily ADD tags to multiple notes. However, I can't seem to find a way to edit tags on multiple notes. I realize there are a few use cases under this request, but I need to find a way to remove a tag from a bunch of notes.

My notes carry multiple tags, so any given note may have a mix of tags in them. I'd like to be able to select a number of notes, then (for my current problem) delete a tag from them. Since we have a way to easily add tags to multiple notes (drag and drop), we'd just need a method for removing a tag.

If something exists, any help would be appreciated. If this is actually a feature request, may I suggest presenting a list of all the tags in those notes with an X next to them that I can click to remove. Whatever UI standard Evernote is trying to follow, make it consistent, but I'm thinking showing common tags in regular black text, tags that are not represented in all notes in grey, or something like that. You could also use the checkbox with checkmark or shaded box method (ala Windows installer).

25 replies to this idea

I know this is a really old post but I just discovered it while searching for a way to bulk edit my tags. (Mispellings being the problem.) So thank you, JMichael! :)

Currently, there's no interface to perform batch editing of tags across multiple notes, but thanks for the feedback.

For everyone's info, "batch editing of tags" has been available on the EN Win app since the first public beta in Oct 2010.

In EN Win, it's CTRL+ALT+T which opens a popup window that applies and removes tags from all Notes you selected.

Can't really understand why it is not in EN Mac by now, especially since Evernote has had $20M sitting in the bank for over a year, and now has $50M more.

• Level 5*

I was here when Evernote first introduced the "Assign Tags" [CTRL+ALT+T] feature in the EN Win 4.0 Beta.  All of the Beta testers (it was a public Beta) thought this new tagging feature was brilliant!  We just could not believe how much this improved our tag management/assignment ability, all the while greatly reducing the time it took to assign or remove tags from multiple Notes.

That was in late 2010 / early 2011.  Given how powerful and popular it was, I am astounded that this feature ("Assign Tags") has never made it into the EN Mac client.

Hello EN Mac Team.  It might be useful to talk to your buddies on the EN Win Team from time to time.  Many, many of us use both clients (work/home).

Part of it is that the Windows client was our first client, so it has just been around longer. Mac until very recently had much more PDF functionality. Windows finally caught up to parity (roughly) in the 4.5.3 release.

Mac also got the favorites bar first. It also has fullscreen mode that Windows probably won't get unless the OS supports it. We also recently added the adding of rows & columns to tables to Mac and it got a fancy redesign in the note panel. Windows hasn't gotten any design love there in a while.

There are also little things like in Thumbnail view, Mac has separators for months if you're grouping by Date Updated or Date Created. This is just what comes top of mind. There really isn't any favoring, a lot of the differences are based off of logistics, timing, how hard it is to do something on that platform, the existing code base, the size of the engineering team, the opinions of the different teams (engineers, designers, etc), who happens to be taking vacations, etc etc.

Currently, there's no interface to perform batch editing of tags across multiple notes, but thanks for the feedback.

When I consider this anti-response in context, that is to the degree it makes more evident EN's 'culture' of priorities, standards, hence leadership 'personalities' , a picture emerges of bright, ambitious people surrounding a 'make life better and more fun product' with significant survivability potential who unknowingly and persistantly produce many relatively small individual Failures from this Success we use called Evernote.

I recognize 'illustrious Seer' you probably have no 'connection' with the thoughts I'm trying to convey hence at this moment, you are doing the very best you can: Connections have a way of happening as time passes however.

Best to you

This can now be done. Drag the tag that you want to mass delete to the sidebar. Click on the tag in the sidebar. Now, only notes w/ that Tag will be displayed. Select the notes you want to remove the tag from. Select the tag in the tag window under the notes and hit delete.

For what its worth, you can add multiple tags using Evernote Web. Unfortunately you can't batch edit tags using the web access though...

I guess if you really needed to do this, you could do it with a convoluted process of adding and deleting.  Say you have a tag with 100 notes, and you want to put 40 in a new tag (removing the current one), and leave the other 60 as-is.  You could add the new tag to the first 40, add a 'temp' tag to the remaining 60, delete the original tag entirely, then re-add the original tag to the 60, and delete the temp tag.

You can still add tags to multiple notes at the same time in EN Mac. Depending on which version you’re using, you either (1) select all the notes you want tagged and then left-click+hold and drag the notes to the tag you want to add or (2) select all the notes you want tagged, open a separate EN window, click on tags, left-click+hold the tag you want, and drag the tag to hover over the notes you have selected.

Part of it is that the Windows client was our first client, so it has just been around longer. Mac until very recently had much more PDF functionality. Windows finally caught up to parity (roughly) in the 4.5.3 release.

Mac also got the favorites bar first. It also has fullscreen mode that Windows probably won't get unless the OS supports it. We also recently added the adding of rows & columns to tables to Mac and it got a fancy redesign in the note panel. Windows hasn't gotten any design love there in a while.

There are also little things like in Thumbnail view, Mac has separators for months if you're grouping by Date Updated or Date Created. This is just what comes top of mind. There really isn't any favoring, a lot of the differences are based off of logistics, timing, how hard it is to do something on that platform, the existing code base, the size of the engineering team, the opinions of the different teams (engineers, designers, etc), who happens to be taking vacations, etc etc.

And I thought Evernote is better in Mac than in PCs.

just different. i'd like to reiterate a request (made many times) that evernote provide a breakdown of the features available for each client.

Now I wonder, what advantages does the EN Mac has over the counterpart?

Only that it works on a Mac. :-)

For some reason, this thread reminds me of a moment from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Snape: You have preformed extraordinary magic with this wand, my Lord, in the last hours alone.

Lord Voldemort: No, I am extraordinary, but the wand... it resists me.

And I thought Evernote is better in Mac than in PCs.

just different. i'd like to reiterate a request (made many times) that evernote provide a breakdown of the features available for each client.

Now I wonder, what advantages does the EN Mac has over the counterpart?

I agree, too. Just switched from MS to Mac recently, knowing that I could use evernote to work on all my stuffs on Mac.

As a premium user, I'm also very disappointed with the fact that Evernote hasn't implemented such a simple feature in Mac version yet. Currently I have to manually edit each note to add/remove tags individually.

I'm looking forward to seeing this feature being realized in the next update of EN Mac. Thanks a lot in advance!

• Level 5*

For everyone's info, "batch editing of tags" has been available on the EN Win app since the first public beta in Oct 2010.

In EN Win, it's CTRL+ALT+T which opens a popup window that applies and removes tags from all Notes you selected.

Can't really understand why it is not in EN Mac by now, especially since Evernote has had $20M sitting in the bank for over a year, and now has $50M more.

I would be happy with the addition of "Remove tag from selected notes" when right-clicking on a tag. The existing "Remove tag from all notes" is fine for killing a tag - but doesn't help with the application/removal of tags from selected notes

Archived