(Archived) Aargh! Wanted "Restore Selected" but got "Restore All"!

tshields

Idea

I just spent several hours deleting duplicate notes and generally cleaning up, and had over 1400 notes in my trash. I accidentally deleted a couple important ones, so I went into trash, multi-selected them, and looked for "Restore Selected". Spotted "Restore All" and just assumed (my bad) that it would only restore selected. All 1400 were put back! Aargh! Who ever wants to restore everything that was deleted? Please, please, get rid of that button and replace it with Restore Selected - they can always select everything if they really want to restore all.

Severely bummed. Evernote is usually so good, when it fails me it's that much more painful.

-ts-

7 replies to this idea

Who ever wants to restore everything that was deleted?

For starters, this guy.

Please, please, get rid of that button and replace it with Restore Selected - they can always select everything if they really want to restore all.

The current options seem reasonable to me. The best UI in the world doesn't help, if the user elects to not read.

I've done many stupider things than misread "Restore All" for "Restore Selected", but I still think it's a preventable mistake. I design software for a living, and in this case I would argue:

1) "Restore selected" does not exist as functionality that I can find in the latest Mac Evernote. If you select several notes, the right click menu does not have a "Restore". Restoring several notes is probably a relatively common use case - in my case, I was trying to hit "Merge Notes" in the right-click menu, and went one too far down to "Delete Notes".

2) "Restore All" is likely not a common use case, and in fact is much more likely to be a disaster than an desired functionality.

3) If you had "Restore Selected", then "Restore All" would be as simple as Select All and Restore Selected. This seems to me to be both intuitive and not too onerous, if Restore All is really what you want.

I rest my case. :-)

-ts-

• Level 5

Sorry, I had assumed that the Mac version had the same capability as the Windows version

Individual trashed notes can be restored in Windows.

I cannot explain why Evernote would not allow the same capability in the Mac.

Archived