(Archived) HOWTO: Click to set location

• Level 5
Latitude, longitude, etc.???

As a new user I don't understand this function. Is it so simple I am misssing it? Thanks for your feedback.

It works very nicely if you are entering information with a GPS enabled mobile device, but it can be very frustrating to use on the desktop. And if you add the longitude and latitude manually, you will find the results to be off - in my case by a factor of 6 miles. So, I am letting that portion of Evernote gather some dust.

Eventually, there will be enough demand from all the mobile device users, along with GPS in cameras and google maps everwhere, that Evernote will have to address the desktop client version.

One possible workaround for this is to keep your typical lat/long coordinates (say, for your home or office) as snippets in an application like TextExpander for OS X or Texter for Windows. Admittedly, this is far less elegant than having the application simply *know* where you are and fill the fields in appropriately, but if having lat/long set on your notes is a priority, then this will shave a few seconds off of it.

• 1 year later...

Can we make this a feature request?

I find the lack of a 'Set to my location' button really annoying. I just works on mobile devices, but getting your location with the EN web version or desktop version is a pain.

Thanks!

One possible workaround for this is to keep your typical lat/long coordinates (say, for your home or office) as snippets in an application like TextExpander for OS X or Texter for Windows. Admittedly, this is far less elegant than having the application simply *know* where you are and fill the fields in appropriately, but if having lat/long set on your notes is a priority, then this will shave a few seconds off of it.

Suggestion:

use google maps to find the location, and copy the link of the map with the locator into the "source" field in the note. one click, and you get a map with a place locator.

Alternatively, you can switch on the Google Maps Labs 'LatLng marker' experiment. Then, right-click on the desired location, drop a marker and then copy the generated location.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

Why does Evernote need to complicate such trivial matters? Who on earth using a desktop version would prefer entering co-ordinates rather than entering a location that he knows directly?

Archived