(Archived) Does Evernote Desktop App Sync When Closed

dsmorey

Idea

I have almost exclusively used the web version of evernote. But now I started messing with the desktop app and it's really a pretty nice app, so I'll probably use it much more.

My question is about syncing. I usually open Evernote, make my changes or additions and then close it. I almost always forget to sync. Does the desktop app sync in the background when closed? It doesn't seem to be. I just made some changes and closed it and the online version of my note is not changed.

Thanks

10 replies to this idea

Strange, I thought that was the case. As a developer, I can't imagine not at least offering that as an option in the preferences. I can see many times I'm going to open Evernote, make the quick change that is on my mind, and NOT hit sync before I close.

Well, thanks for the reply. Hoping maybe this will be a setting in a future version.

• Level 5*

The WIndows client does have this setting (it's a fairly recent addition). Not sure whether its appropriate for the Mac client, or whether Evernote has plans to make that change.

~Jeff

• Level 5
Strange, I thought that was the case. As a developer, I can't imagine not at least offering that as an option in the preferences. I can see many times I'm going to open Evernote, make the quick change that is on my mind, and NOT hit sync before I close.

Probably not the best design, but when I add something quickly in Windows Evernote, I instinctively hit F9 to force a sync before closing.

I did not see an equivalent function in the Knowledgebase for the Mac

The WIndows client does have this setting (it's a fairly recent addition). Not sure whether its appropriate for the Mac client, or whether Evernote has plans to make that change.

Thanks Jeff, at least that gives us hope for the option to leak into the Mac version. :D

Probably not the best design, but when I add something quickly in Windows Evernote, I instinctively hit F9 to force a sync before closing.

I did not see an equivalent function in the Knowledgebase for the Mac

Yeah, that's what I've been doing also. But I use evernote a lot between work computer and home. Sucks to think that I could forget to do this one time and have to wait until I get into work to update that note. Sucks even more that if I then update that note at home and sync, then sync next day at work, there will probably be a note conflict. :D

Thanks

I have a lot of personal stuff in Evernote, as I'm sure a lot do. I just don't want somebody from the office to sit down to maybe check their email and there is my personal Evernote right on the screen. That's about the only reason I close it down often.

Archived