*Unofficial* "Scan To Evernote" application

iafanasyev

Hi guys,

I wrote this app in my spare time a while ago and it proved to be very useful since then, so I decided to share it with other Evernoters — hope it will save you much time scanning things into Evernote.

This can be considered a beta version as I didn't have the chance to test it on different devices, but people who had a chance to test it say that it works for them just fine. Please note that this is an unofficial application which our Evernote support team won't be able to help you with, so if you have any questions/commenst/suggestions, just leave them here in this topic.

Scan To Evernote was designed to have a simplest UI possible to feed things into Evernote in a mostly automated way. You set it up once (basically, provide a path to ENScript.exe) and then scan with a simple click of a button. The app will automatically detect when you turn your scanner on, determine the size of the scanned object or sheet of paper, trim the image accordingly, use the optimal resolution to ensure the scanned image will be recognized correctly. To save even more time, it allows you to scan sheets and thick objects with scanner lid open, so that you don't have to open and close the lid after each scan. Just put something on the scanner table, press Enter, wait for the scanning to be completed, then put the next object, press Enter and so on.

Scan To Evernote will automatically place the image into a notebook of your choice (or a default one, if you leave the name blank) and optionally tag it. It keeps the nice visual log of scanned things so that you can tell where you left off and which things were scanned already.

Here's how it looks like:

post-4172-131906071548_thumb.jpg

Requirements: Windows Vista or Windows 7, WIA-compatible scanner/MFU.

Windows XP will not be supported, sorry.

Download Scan To Evernote and unpack it to any separate folder, then run it from there.

I love this idea, but no luck running it.

When I click on the exe, I get a message, "Class not registered, ClassID: {E1C5D730-7E97-4D8A-9E42-BBAE87C2059F}

If I press OK, on that message, the same message appears again, and the interface appears.

If I press OK again, I can clear the message and view the interface, but it says, "No scanner found."

I've tried opening it with my scanner on and off, no difference.

FWIW, I'm using:

Windows XP Pro

HP Scanjet 5550C (has TWAIN, WIA, etc. drivers installed)

If I can offer any testing, etc., I'd be happy to -- I think this is a great idea!

Thanks!

As far as I know, the support for WIA 2.0 API interface was added in Windows XP SP1, but my experiments show that there are still a lot of incompatibilites at the programming level and in XP-compatible drivers.

To sum it up, the application *may* work on Windows XP with Service Pack 1 and later, provided that you use the WIA 2.0 compatible drivers for your scanner (not WIA 1.0).

The fact that you get the "Class not registered" error means exactly that the WIA 2.0-compatible programming interfaces were not found on your system. The only thing to do is to try finding the newer drivers for your scanner.

• Level 5
Sorry -- I didn't see the XP not supported message at the bottom...

Any chance this will change?

Off topic - but you might want to consider getting an upgrade before November when we run out of available IPv4 addresses.

• IPv6 is not enabled by default in Microsoft Windows XP SP2, it has to be explicitly installed and enabled.
http://goo.gl/tdMNS
Windows 7 does a decent job of supporting IPv6. It certainly does much better than the ones that came before, but it still has some quirks.
http://goo.gl/YHPFA

Does a beautiful job on Win7.

Only thing necessary was to change the path to ENsript, and to start as Admin.

Other than that - absolutely perfect! (Well, perfect would be if there was a dropdown choice of available notebooks or tags, but that as well is luxury :-) ).

Thx from Munich, EvB.

(Sorry, ScanDrop, your time is over now ...)

Well, perfect would be if there was a dropdown choice of available notebooks or tags

ENScript supports exporting notebooks, so this is something that can be added (unfortunately, this is not the same for tags — ENScript doesn't support exporting them).

For everybody who is running XP, maybe Irfanview can be an alternative.

I wrote the following batch file which scans the document and opens the image automatically with Irfanview. There you can rotate, crop or manipulate your image otherwise, before you import it in your Evernote account. Usually it only takes a click on the batch file and a Ctrl+S+Enter to perform a complete scan including an import. Shortcuts to rotate your image left and right are "l" and "r". Ctrl+Y crops the selection.

To make it work just install Irfanview in the C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\ directory and paste the following code into a .bat file:

@echo off
rem Try to delete temp file again for safty reasons
del %temp%\irfanview.bmp 2>NUL
echo Scanning document...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /hide=15 /scanhidden /dpi=(150,150) /convert=%temp%\irfanview.bmp
echo Scan completed!
echo Open document
"C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" %temp%\irfanview.bmp
echo Delete temp file
del %temp%\irfanview.bmp 2>NUL

PS:

You have to select your scanner which you want to use in File menu under "Select TWAIN Source"

Also. If you are using a scanner without an autofeeder you might consider going in the Acquire/Batch Scanning Setup too. I don't know if this is really necessary, but if you have problems should select the first option "Single image: ..." and uncheck the checkbox "Close TWAIN dialog".

PPS: I chose 150 x 150 dpi as a scan resolution, which is enough for my purposes. If you want to change this you have to adjust the values in the batch file.

• 1 year later...

This is an really useful application and it works out of the box with my HP Scanjet 8250.

There's just one improvement which I would love to have: When I scan using the automatic document feeder only the last single page is imported into evernote.

I don't know, if this is normal.

Thanks for the app.

• Level 5*

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S300 - the program doesn't detect the scanner, so I am presuming that the type is wrong? However, I have a scan to EN option in my menus for the S300, so not a problem. This program would be a great addition if I needed and could use it!

• 10 months later...

I just tracked this utility down via search after failing miserably other methods to achieve "scan to Evernote". I am using a Brother MFC-J825DW printer and Windows 7 - 64 bit. 

As EVB said (a couple of years ago!)

"Does a beautiful job on Win7. Only thing necessary was to change the path to ENsript, and to start as Admin."

I copied a shortcut to my desktop and I'm ready to go. I actually saved the program in it's own folder under Documents, so it's sure to go with me if I change computers. I changed my default notebook to "INBOX" a while back so that I'm reminded to check there for things to file properly. That makes it an okay place for scans to land.

Thanks for making this available. HUGE help.

• 5 months later...

I am using a Brother ADS 2000 scanner which does not recognize Evernote as a program. However, the Brother scanner has settings that allow  capture in searchable or non-searchable PDFs. Those are easily imported into Evernote. Of course the notebook and tag must be set manually.

I could not get the utility to work because it had problems using the ENscript path. 

Paul

On 12/27/13  I reported that I could not get the Scan to Evernote utility to work with the new Brother ADS 2000 scanner. It must be the season, but suddenly the utility caused Evernote to appear on the list of output options when I clicked on Control Center 4 OCR button which is the software that manages the scanner. I can now scan to directly to Evernote The Brother scanner is much less expensive than the ScanSnap Fujitsu scanners and is Twain based. The advantage of the ScanSnap software is that you can specify a Notebook before you scan.  

Paul  

• 1 year later...

Archived