(Archived) Handful of Nitpicks

Just a handful of things that have stood out to me over the last couple months using EN3.

1) Windows Client Toolbar -- This was my first thought when I fired up EN3: This toolbar is huge. Probably (hopefully!) already on the to do list, but options to show larger/smaller images, hide/show the button name/text and option to outright hide the toolbar. (Obviously search would still have to be available in some capacity -- a slim search-only toolbar would work.)

2) In the web version, when you edit a note you are presented immediately with both the note title/name and the note contents. Editing note names in the Windows client, however, is not quite so convenient -- one must enable the note "list" and rename it from there. It seems one should be able to rename a note with or without the notelist shown, but it's missing from the context menu when right clicking on a note (in tape view). A keyboard shortcut for renaming a note (without the note list shown) would be handy.

3) Default note font options -- I'd like a bit more control over new notes fonts. That setting applies only to a new note that I create while new notes captured via the universal clipper ignore this completely. For example, I work primarily with monospaced fonts -- as such, my default font is set to a monospace font. Text I capture, even from my text editor which is itself using the same font I want to use in Evernote, is automatically Verdana -- a far fry from what I intend to use.

I think that the default font should apply not just to new notes but to all incoming notes that don't have explicit (ala web browser) font definitions. Furthermore, I would love the ability to transform the text of a tape, notebook, et cetera. To be able to quickly change the font face and size over a selection (or all) of notes would be very handy.

4.a) Clearly the note editor has the ability to insert horizontal rules, however this functionality is not passed on to the user. It would be nice to have that option; also appreciated would be the ability to insert/import an image into a note. The only way to do it at present seems to be universal clip a screen shot into a new note and merge?

4.B) Any chance at the ability to edit the source of a note body, as in see tags rather than the resulting formatting? I'm guessing no, but worth a shot.

A.

Thanks for the feedback, this is all good stuff.

Re: 4.b ... notes are maintained with a strict XML DTD (with about a pretty large overlap with XHTML 1.1 Transitional), so we don't plan to expose a raw source editor. It would be too easy for someone to destroy their data (e.g. by corrupting an encrypted region), and the DTD validation would screw up anyone who doesn't think like a computer.

Thanks

It seems one should be able to rename a note with or without the notelist shown

You can. The first line of text in any note is the default note title. To change the title, just clear or return the existing first line and write new text in the first line.

also appreciated would be the ability to insert/import an image into a note. The only way to do it at present seems to be universal clip a screen shot into a new note and merge?

I am not sure I understand this. You can copy/paste any image from a web page, with a regular right click, or ctrl+c > paste action from a browser. Any web clip simply copied and pasted from a browser contains the image. Any jpg file or tiff you drag from the file browser (windows explorer) into a note is automatically displayed. Finally, any image file dragged to the auto import folder comes into a note as a displayed image. Please clarify if I am missing it.

I agree with the editor shortcomings and the font issue. I think EN has had their sights on replacing the editor engine for a while, but I think its a tough issue to implement.

It seems one should be able to rename a note with or without the notelist shown

You can. The first line of text in any note is the default note title. To change the title, just clear or return the existing first line and write new text in the first line.

While that does work for notes that are made on the PC and don't have otherwise set titles, it doesn't help with notes that *do* have titles explicitly defined. It's not an app breaker or anything, just an inconsistency.

also appreciated would be the ability to insert/import an image into a note. The only way to do it at present seems to be universal clip a screen shot into a new note and merge?

any image file dragged to the auto import folder comes into a note as a displayed image. Please clarify if I am missing it.

I overlooked the import folder and drag and drop. I had tried to drag and drop and image within a note once, to move it, and it turned out so miserably I guess I discounted that altogether. What I was looking for was the ability to, from within the editor, insert an image to the place of the cursor. The context menu has a picture sub menu to "Save as" and "Edit" -- I expect(ed) an "insert" link there, too.

I agree with the editor shortcomings and the font issue. I think EN has had their sights on replacing the editor engine for a while, but I think its a tough issue to implement.

No doubt . . . on the other hand, one could make the argument that there are few things more important than the editor in such an application, and it might be worth making a bit less quirky :)

Thanks for the advice, Jims.

• 2 years later...

Related to the above posts: I'd like to be able to have the Clipper insert multiple screen shots into the same (or existing) Note, instead of creating a new Note with each clip. Is that currently possible?

I did find the Merge option, allowing multiple notes to be concatenated, but it's an extra step to keep all those notes in the correct order so the merged note is sequential.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

dwt

• Level 5*

(note, these answers pertain to the Windows client, since the client is not specified)

Related to the above posts: I'd like to be able to have the Clipper insert multiple screen shots into the same (or existing) Note, instead of creating a new Note with each clip. Is that currently possible?

Not that I know of currently -- it's one at a time. If you want them to go to the same note, you can open up Evernote, clip to the clipboard, and paste them into your emergent note.

I did find the Merge option, allowing multiple notes to be concatenated, but it's an extra step to keep all those notes in the correct order so the merged note is sequential.

I think that merge honors the order of selection, so you should make your selection accordingly. If you want a different order for your notes than they appear in the list, you'd need to use Ctrl + Click to clink in the order that you want them to appear.

I think that merge honors the order of selection, so you should make your selection accordingly. If you want a different order for your notes than they appear in the list, you'd need to use Ctrl + Click to clink in the order that you want them to appear.

That's been my experience.

• Level 5

You are correct.

(note, these answers pertain to the Windows client, since the client is not specified)

it's one at a time. If you want them to go to the same note, you can open up Evernote, clip to the clipboard, and paste them into your emergent note.

Sorry for the newbie question, but is there a "clip to the clipboard" option within Evernote, or are you talking about using another program to do that?

Thanks in advance.

dwt

• Level 5*

In Windows, the screenshot clipper normally clips into an Evernote, but if the Ctrl key is pressed down when you release the mouse button during lipping, the screenshot will go to the clipboard instead. I find this very handy, and clip to the clipboard more often than I clip to Evernote, frankly.

Archived