(Archived) Post your #1 Feature Request Here!!!

gonsalvr

please allow changing background color of

* the note as a whole

* some or all of the text (to highlight important words / sentences)

please allow skinning / using a dark/black/night theme on evernote so we can use it on our tabletPC at night without blinding our night vision eyes

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

* the note as a whole

This is a fairly commonly requested feature. You can find further discussion elsewhere by searching the forum for "highlight' or "background color".

I would like evernote to have like a 'board' which you can take notes and place it on a single page, so i can work on it for projects that require many work and don't need re-searching in evernote all the time. I got this from your competitor (Spring PAD -

). As a paid user i hope this will happen in the near future,

Kuhan

I would like evernote to have like a 'board' which you can take notes and place it on a single page, so i can work on it for projects that require many work and don't need re-searching in evernote all the time. I got this from your competitor (Spring PAD -

Kuhan

Kuhan

While you are waiting on your requested feature, I wonder if this might work for you:

1) Open the Note you wish to use as a "board" into its own window

OR

2) Sort the Note List by Updated Date [descending] so that your "board" Note would always be near the top of the list.

I have a few requests that I may have made before, but here goes:

1. In Windows Version: Be able to autofill email addresses from Google contacts (OR at least Outlook Contacts) when sending an email from EN like you can in the Android version.

2. In Android Version (and Web Client): Be able to preview PDF images just like you can in the Windows Version.

3. Sync EN tasks with Toodledo, so if you create a task in EN it will automatically appear in Toodledo task management. That way you wouldn't have to build your own robust task system into Evernote, but users could still take advantage of Toodledo to set up reminders, due dates, and repeating tasks.

4. Autotagging would be the bomb!

5. True hierarchical tags, so if the main tag is "Real Estate" and the child tag is "Fifth Ave", when you tag with "Fifth Ave" EN also tags it automatically with "Real Estate".

5. True hierarchical tags, so if the main tag is "Real Estate" and the child tag is "Fifth Ave", when you tag with "Fifth Ave" EN also tags it automatically with "Real Estate".

Good luck with that one - apparently looking like it's hierarchical is good enough.

• Level 5

My #1 feature request - It would be great to have a PIN-protected, collapsible, hierarchical, Roman Numeral outline template with assignable color backgrounds for individual sections of the outline along with url links to the source data. Should be easy to do.

Export to text file!!! It is the ultimate in future proofing, data portability, and peace of mind.

I typed my notes in EN without all the html markup and would like the ability to export them in the same fashion. This capability is described as a feature in the EN support guide but is not present (not in the Windows app).

I'd like to migrate my note library (almost all pure text) to a different software solution, but feel trapped because more note programs wont import markedup html mess. Anyone know of a solution?

Export to text file!!! It is the ultimate in future proofing, data portability, and peace of mind.

Still using Windows 3.1? :D Export to text is hardly the ultimate in future proofing. Can't get those screen caps, audio files, video files, etc out. Did you Google "convert html txt"? Lots of hits on that, including this one.

Still using Windows 3.1? Export to text is hardly the ultimate in future proofing. Can't get those screen caps, audio files, video files, etc out. Did you Google "convert html txt"? Lots of hits on that, including this one.

Many thanks for the link. I dont use EN for media and simply want to move my files elsewhere (as text). Thought this export feature was baked in, but I'll try the manual option.

when emailing notes, send through outlook instead of evernote like we used to do in 2.0. I really have disliked having to type in contacts names, especially when sending a note to a list of people. maybe even having a preference that would let us choose between sending through evernote or another email client.

I would like to see integration with Google Contacts

There are several suggestions I would bump, one I thought about that may help to rid the issue of hierarchal tags (or maybe I just don't understand the concept of hierarchal tags), would be to have types of tags... like places or people. If I'm just being a goof-head and just suggesting what hierarchal tags are, I apologize in advance... well at least in advance of you calling me stupid, but really at the end of my idea.

Encryption of entire notes, entire notebooks, or an entire tag.

Encryption is the #1 feature for Evernote, for me. I encrypt text all the time, as I store logins, passwords, credit card info....all manner of sensitive data. That way, I'm not at a loss when I have to log in somewhere I only go to occasionally, and forget the login credentials. I just smile, open my login note, unencrypt the text with the login details, and I shout out, once again, "I LOVE EVERNOTE!"

But to be able to encrypt an entire note would be very cool and time-saving. How about an entire notebook? Way cool.

There may be nothing more important now in this cyber world in which we live, than having the protection capabilities of encryption!

• Level 5*

Kind've asked and answered before I know, but not quite in this way - I'd like to see a "reminder" feature on notes. Just added some information about a conference in October forinstance that I won't need until then; I can and will search for it closer to the date, but my swiss cheese brain is quite likely to forget the exact place or title, and searching just the main content will turn up more than a few matches. I've tagged the note (if I remember the right tag in 6 months' time) and the note includes the booking emails - but lots of my notes include emails. The only way to ensure that I don't lose this information would be to set a reminder for a day / week / month before the event so something pops up to say "Today's reminders..."

Gaz

Feature request for the future: the ability to update the "created" dates for multiple notes at the same time (similar to tagging). There are times I scan/upload a batch of documents all at once, and this feature would speed up the organization process a bit.

• Level 5*

How about a "back" button? Just honed a particularly elegant search and had a window full of useful results in my Windows (Vista) client, then hamfistedly clicked a tag in the left margin and lost them all. Bother. Now have to retype that search string all over again. An "Oops (I didn't mean to do that)" button would come in very handily for us less dextrous users...

* the note as a whole

This is a fairly commonly requested feature. You can find further discussion elsewhere by searching the forum for "highlight' or "background color".

Most (if not all) of those "discussions" are about changing the background color of notes.

What about the background of the program (aka background everywhere) ?

Last time I asked, that basic feature of Windows programs all over the world was deemed "impossible to do", or something along those lines.

• Level 5*

* the note as a whole

Most (if not all) of those "discussions" are about changing the background color of notes.

Correct (plus the application of highlighting of selected text) -- that's what the poster was asking about, and that's why I directed him to check out the forums if they wanted more on the topic.

What about the background of the program (aka background everywhere) ?

Last time I asked, that basic feature of Windows programs all over the world was deemed "impossible to do", or something along those lines.

That's a different topic. It's not impossible, but neither is it a feature of all Windows programs in the world. It's a choice in this case, I think.

Well, that was a figure of speech :wink:

The same problem applies to those of us that either do their stuff at night or in low-light environment, whether it's about notes or the whole program: white background hurts the eyes.

It has been talked about here, for instance (though at some points it seems to then again mostly be about notes): viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7183

I would like to have a collapse all tags button so I'll be able to navigate through tags faster.

I have 5 top level tags and there are hundreds of tags inside those top level tags so to quickly navigate to different tags "collapse all tags" would be really useful!

Another request is a better search. I would like to use wildcard at any position in a word not only at the end. For example when I don't remember exactly the tag it would be useful

Well, it wine way don't work well at all. Nervernote lacks the function that makes evernote interesting.

They should at least make the effort to get evernote usable with wine.... And in the meantime, no way i'm going premium... Being unable to use evernote at home seriously reduce it's uses.

Going back to windows because of evernote, not an option !

• Level 5*
How about Stacks that will allow page tabs (sub pages) to each NOTE that will allow a deeper ability create strong note structure. :shock:

Stacks contain -->

Notebooks, which contain -->

Notes

Where do pages and/or tabs fit into this picture?

When I add a page to Evernote of a website page that includes a video, the video is not included with the added page in Evernote. I figure this is due to the attachment file size may be very large thus taking up a lot of storage. It would be convenient to have a box included in the added page in Evernote that shows as a place holder for the video and that you could click to view the video maybe at the original site or as a download otherwise you may miss seeing the video when you read the website page in Evernote later. Thanks.

When I add a page to Evernote of a website page that includes a video, the video is not included with the added page in Evernote. I figure this is due to the attachment file size may be very large thus taking up a lot of storage. It would be convenient to have a box included in the added page in Evernote that shows as a place holder for the video and that you could click to view the video maybe at the original site or as a download otherwise you may miss seeing the video when you read the website page in Evernote later. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=19610&p=81374&hilit=video#p81374

Other considerations are copyright issues.

Also, long as you add the web page URL to the note, you can go back & click it, assuming the video/page hasn't been taken down.

Multiple levels of stacks. And with regard to this post on the first page...

Stacks (one level deep) are as good as you're going to get for a very long time, as far as notebooks go. Anyone wanting to use Evernote is simply going to have to come to terms with using tags for organizing, rather than sub notebooks.

...well the name of the thread is post your #1 feature request and this is mine.

In fact, after visiting this board today for the first time in years, and browsing through the ENDLESS threads on this issue going back years, and the apparent refusal (as far as I have seen) of anyone on the part of EN to make any type of official statement about why they refuse to implement it, I must say it's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. I quite honestly can't think of many instances in which a software company is inundated with the same fundamental request for year after year, yet refuses to implement it or acknowledge why they won't.

In several threads I've read people say "it's easy to ask for without knowing what's involved". Well if they could implement one level of stacking, but they can't easily implement a second level, something seems seriously screwed up with the platform. I can't help but wonder if this is an issue with someone at the top being obsessed with the idea that hierarchical organization is bad and that they simply aren't going to give it to people.

BTW, the fact that I am passionate and somewhat frustrated about the issue speaks well to what EN has accomplished. The product is otherwise exceptionally intriguing and beautifully implemented, that makes me care enough to bother to rant about this. And no I don't want to use tags for my hierarchies, I'd like to be able to actually use tags for, gasp :D, tagging. When I looked at the product today for the first time in years ands saw stacks I felt a moment of excitement - I could finally switch from OneNote. The excitement quickly turned to disbelief when I saw that after being asked for it for years, that their solution was to introduce stacks one level deep. Absent some official explanation, I refuse to believe this is anything but a totally arbitrary decision to force someone else's belief upon us about how we should organize our information.

Flog away -- it's mainly your energy that's being wasted, and the horse is still dead.

Maybe the thread should have been titled "post your #1 feature request here, except for the ones EN has decided against for your own good". That way all us suckers could have saved our time and effort bothering to post our #1 feature request :D :D.

Maybe the thread should have been titled "post your #1 feature request here, except for the ones EN has decided against for your own good". That way all us suckers could have saved our time and effort bothering to post our #1 feature request :D :D.

I don't know what you have against someone pointing out that a #1 feature request has already been nixed by EN. No one seems to mind if someone posts the feature is already on the EN list of things to do. Also, the posts are already out there on the board. So if someone had already looked it up, the would most likely have found the "official" response by Evernote. This is a discussion board & there are no guarantees that if you post something, no one will post an opposing opinion or a post that you dislike.

Yes, this is a message board and people may have opposing opinions. Which is exactly why I expressed mine. The argument that EN has nixed the feature request is weak because it suggests that people should not request the features they want, and it's also not how change takes place. Would EN have ever offered nested notebooks if people didn't keep asking for it? Unlikely. If a company says no to something and people continue to express their unhappiness both verbally and with their pocketbook, than the company may change their stance. The thread asked for the #1 feature request several of us have stated it.

• Level 5
If a company says no to something and people continue to express their unhappiness both verbally and with their pocketbook, than the company may change their stance. The thread asked for the #1 feature request several of us have stated it.

I agree with your comment. Trying to put the kibosh on an idea just because it was not approved for past releases does not mean we should stop asking for it. My hot button is the addition of the "Due Date" column. It has been mentioned many times and a year ago Evernote agreed that it will be added. But that won't stop me from commenting about the importance of the request in this forum.

Best of all worlds would be that people post their #1 feature request and not comment - positively or negatively - on other posters' requests. :D

Unfortunately the anonymity of the Internet gives people what they think is "courage" to be as intrusive or abrupt as they please. Gotta grow some thicker skin, folks!! Take all Internet-posted slights as water off a duck's back!

Jim

Yes, this is a message board and people may have opposing opinions. Which is exactly why I expressed mine.

So...it's ok for you to post your opposing ideas...

...but not ok for those who either have existing information about the topic or those who disagree with you to post.

I got it.

Best of all worlds would be that people post their #1 feature request and not comment - positively or negatively - on other posters' requests. :D

Would neutral comments be allowed? I suppose comments that state the feature is already included or in the works would be considered positive & therefore nixed, as well.

Would neutral comments be allowed? I suppose comments that state the feature is already included or in the works would be considered positive & therefore nixed, as well.

Hey, I am not "nixing" anything! ( Not a word, "nixing", I know!). I was just saying... I'll say anything that can avoid arguments/spirited discussions as opposed to just comments regarding favorite features! Heck, I'll even dance if needed! :D Sometimes we can get off on some far-out tangents. Personally I just try to ignore such comments and move on with the feature requests. I can all too easily kill a lot of time otherwise, you know?

Thanks!

Jim

Hey, I am not "nixing" anything! ( Not a word, "nixing", I know!). I was just saying... I'll say anything that can avoid arguments/spirited discussions as opposed to just comments regarding favorite features! Heck, I'll even dance if needed! :lol: Sometimes we can get off on some far-out tangents. Personally I just try to ignore such comments and move on with the feature requests. I can all too easily kill a lot of time otherwise, you know?

It seems sometimes people confuse replies/discussions with "arguments" or of being "stifled." (Archie Bunker comments aside!)

1. If someone posts a feature request that has been acknowledged by EN staff as something "on the list", usually someone will post a link or post stating this. It makes the original poster feel good. YAY.

2. If someone posts a feature request that has been noted by EN staff as something they will either not do or probably will not do, I see nothing wrong with linking to that. It certainly gives the feature requester (not a word) a grip on their request.

3. If someone posts a feature request that another board member posts a workaround for...then the OP can either elect to use that workaround or not. Additionally, there is no guarantee their request will be implemented in EN soon or ever.

Ironic thing is that EN Evangelists tend to get raked across the coals for doing two out of the above three.

Unfortunately the anonymity of the Internet gives people what they think is "courage" to be as intrusive or abrupt as they please. Gotta grow some thicker skin, folks!! Take all Internet-posted slights as water off a duck's back!

I do think this is good advice. We're not your mom or dad. There will most likely be opposing posts. There's not one thing I've posted on the board that I wouldn't say to that person's face. I've also had some nasty things posted about me. I normally ignore them & continue to try to help people on this board & life goes on.

...wow... how did I end up in a Dr. Phil message board..??? :lol:

Yes, this is a message board and people may have opposing opinions. Which is exactly why I expressed mine.

So...it's ok for you to post your opposing ideas...

Maybe the thread should have been titled "post your #1 feature request here, except for the ones EN has decided against for your own good". That way all us suckers could have saved our time and effort bothering to post our #1 feature request :lol: :lol:.

...but not ok for those who either have existing information about the topic or those who disagree with you to post.

I got it.

I don't think you do. The statement which you quote didn't tell anyone not to express their opinion. And even if interpreted that way it was only telling people not to express the opinion that others should not state their opinion, a rather relevant distinction. Lastly, you evidently missed the smiley face and tongue at the end, which for most people indicates fun.

Tag bundles : tired of typing six words every time I want to add a note. Should be able to add several tags by either typing a tagbundle name, or dragging the note to a bundle. Tagging is especially tiring on iphone or in #email. Now I can't even cut and paste them.

Date/Time Picker in the search window : ridiculously hard to search tags or text in a date range right now (unless I'm missing something).

Having more options for importing folders. Besides specifying the notebook, being able to select a tag for all files imported from the folder would be very helpful. Also, allowing the user to select whether to use the first line of the file as the "title" within evernote, or to use the filename itself as the title. Personally, I would LOVE to be able to just import a file using the filename as the title.

Personally, I would LOVE to be able to just import a file using the filename as the title.

I'm not at my computer right now, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works

Yup. Just confirmed. Importing files sets the title to the file name.

Personally, I would LOVE to be able to just import a file using the filename as the title.

I'm not at my computer right now, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works

Yup. Just confirmed. Importing files sets the title to the file name.

Are you using an automatic import folder? bc all my files are coming in with the first line of the text file as the title.

thanks for looking into it btw

• Level 5*
Are you using an automatic import folder? bc all my files are coming in with the first line of the text file as the title.

If you're importing text files (.txt, maybe other extensions), the actual text of the note becomes the note content, and the title is set to the first line of your imported file. If you're importing things like PDFs, Word documents, etc, then the file becomes an attachment, and the title of the note is set to the filename.

Encryption of entire notes, entire notebooks, or an entire tag.

Encryption is the #1 feature for Evernote, for me. I encrypt text all the time, as I store logins, passwords, credit card info....all manner of sensitive data. That way, I'm not at a loss when I have to log in somewhere I only go to occasionally, and forget the login credentials. I just smile, open my login note, unencrypt the text with the login details, and I shout out, once again, "I LOVE EVERNOTE!"

But to be able to encrypt an entire note would be very cool and time-saving. How about an entire notebook? Way cool.

There may be nothing more important now in this cyber world in which we live, than having the protection capabilities of encryption!

I second this request.

As a matter of fact I wonder why this so much needed feature wasn't implemented so far :(

It would be "image rotation". It has already been discussed in the forum, wether the feature is to be realized before the integration in evernote (mobile pics) or after, but the fact is that it's not easy with mobile...

If I can have several wishes, I'll go for:

• links to other notes
  • ability to save images to camera roll on iPhone
  • rtf editing on iPhone (or at least, bold, italic, bullet, check box)

If I can only have one, I'll go for the second. Yesterday I wanted to edit a photo using an iPhone app. I had the photo in front of me in the Evernote app, but the only way I could think of to open it in the other app was to email it to myself, then save the image from the email. I wasn't in wireless network range, and it was really irritating to be spending my data allowance on emailing images that were already on the device. I know that some of the restrictions are because of the way Apple does things, but lots of apps can save images to the camera roll, so that should be feasible.

ability to save images to camera roll on iPhone

Hmm...I actually thought that was already possible...seems the common hold image doesn't work in EN. For me the only way to export an image at the moment is to edit the note, then view the image attachment, and then choose "Open in" in the top right. The options I get are Dropbox (so transfer to DB, which AFAIK can save to camera roll) or SketchBook, an image editing app (paid version, not sure if free version is the same)

As a matter of fact I wonder why this so much needed feature wasn't implemented so far :o

At the risk of being redundant, please search the board on security. The "wide open databases" thread is lengthy but pretty much covers all aspects of the topic.

I think integration with Google Calendar (or optionally Oulook Calendar) would solve a lot of the requests for calendar and reminder features.

Springpad has Google Calendar integration and this seem to be a really compelling feature for many of its users.

The searching functionality of Evernote is not good. When I want to search something, I have to input my query twice: once in the global search box and the second one is within each note found if there are more than 1 match in a result note.

It will be much better if it is like searching in Microsoft Office Word 2010.

I think integration with Google Calendar (or optionally Oulook Calendar) would solve a lot of the requests for calendar and reminder features.

Springpad has Google Calendar integration and this seem to be a really compelling feature for many of its users.

I have to add my vote to yours! I've been trying diffrent apps and I personally find both Evernote & Springpad are good. However, Evernote is missing a reminder feature. I hope we get an idea if this is coming in the pipe pls?

Ahmad

However, Evernote is missing a reminder feature. I hope we get an idea if this is coming in the pipe pls?

As has been stated several times on the board, EN plans on adding a due date and that's it, with respect to task/to do list management. Any reminders or more extensive task/to do list management will be left up to third parties. And , as per usual, no ETAs on the rollout of the due date, except to those who consider "soon" an ETA.

#1 - Collapsible outlining, a la NoteBook (Mac), OneNote, etc.

#2 - Encrypt stored notes on Evernote's servers. I work with a lot of personally identifiable health information (PHI), which I cannot store in synchronized Evernote notebooks but only locally on my machine.

• 1 month later...

Tried searching through the message boards to see if anyone else had posted this. They likely have, but I couldn't find it.

As someone who's heavily using EN, here are the things that would make my life easier:

1) A much better Honeycomb client for tablets. Seems like all that great screen real estate is being wasted.

2) Storing headers for notes that are emailed to Evernote. I bcc a lot of communications to EN, but it's very frustrating that it doesn't store the header information (so I don't even know who the note is to)

3) Rule-based tagging. Manually tagging items, particularly emails, is a pain. Would be nice to set up some simple rules that could handle this automatically upon receipt.

4) Inclusion of attachments in note when imported from Thunderbird. Very annoying.

5) Better encryption options. This has been mentioned extensively elsewhere. I would add that once EN gets tighter with security, two-factor authentication would be nice as an option (which I would gladly pay for).

• Level 5*
3) Rule-based tagging. Manually tagging items, particularly emails, is a pain. Would be nice to set up some simple rules that could handle this automatically upon receipt.

I've certainly wished for this in the forums. I use rules a lot, both in gmail and Outlook, and think it would be a useful feature. Anything to help in getting good tags, easily, would be great.

Better encryption options. This has been mentioned extensively elsewhere. I would add that once EN gets tighter with security, two-factor authentication would be nice as an option (which I would gladly pay for).

There is scads of discussion on the various aspects of Evernote's security, including what you're asking for. Search will find it if you look a bit deeper, I'm sure.

I would like to see a way that the attachment i.e PDF could be renamed to have the same name as the Note.

I would like to see Evernote outline their security policy and pathway clearly on the website. Data safety and integrity is my number 1 concern.

Could the PDF Search go to page that has the search term in it?

Thanks

Please revamp Tags ( what is the use of creating notes when you can't search for them via tags)

-- Ability to search for Tags

-- Ability to change tag fonts ( bolds etc) - so stand out some commonly used tags

-- Ability to select multiple tags and get notes associated with all of them

thx

Definitely image resizing and moving within the note. It would be really great to be able to make, for example, just a little thumbnail pointing to the original (hi-res) image location. I don't always want to attach whole photos just to be able to make a note about them (big image = note gets confusing, unnecessary filesize on hardrive & server, unnecessary bandwidth usage for upload).

• 4 weeks later...

Evernote as Printer

I really, eally wish that Evernote was one of the printers that shows up whenever I go to print a document. I know that on Mac, I can print to PDF into Evernote, and that's close. However, I don't really want to create PDFs because then I cannot annotate things. Also, I'm a sometimes windows user and that PDF printing option only works on Macs.

Evernote as Printer

I really, eally wish that Evernote was one of the printers that shows up whenever I go to print a document. I know that on Mac, I can print to PDF into Evernote, and that's close. However, I don't really want to create PDFs because then I cannot annotate things. Also, I'm a sometimes windows user and that PDF printing option only works on Macs.

I don't know why you can't annotate PDFs. I do it quite often. Many (most??? all???) free PDF viewers allow you to annotate.

On Windows, I use CutePDF Writer to print a PDF to my hard drive. I can then either add the PDF to EN or if I saved it in an import folder, it gets automatically added to EN.

Would be great if I could resize text in a note using the mouse's scroll wheel, or at least using CTRL+ or CTRL-, which works in most other apps that I use (e.g. Word, Firefox, etc). I don't mean changing the font size from e.g. 10 to 12, which would of course be a more complex formatting thing, but rather just resizing the visual representation of the text on the screen; on my office computer, my default Evernote font of Calibri 14 is just right for my eyes, but at home on my laptop it looks huge, plus there's less screen real-estate to spare.

Let me have a special "high priority" tag that violates my default sort order for notes. My default is chronologically by date created, newest on top. I want my special high priority items to always appear at the top regardless of when created. I would find this very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Default sort order for notes should be an option. I prefer "Notes by Updated" so I see my most recent changed notes first. But since "Notes by Created" is the default, I have to change this every time I start Evernote.

I second an earlier posted about the need to offer some way to temporarily increase the data limits. I am trying to input lots of old info and have already reached my limit and still have 6 days to go in this cycle. Maybe offering a one time extra 10gigabytes that won't expire or maybe allowing extra from previous months to accrue and still be available. I'm a premium user.

Part of the problem is that I didn't realize that, according to a forum post I found, whenever you change or add a tag, the whole note is uploaded again, counting toward usage limits. I had it set to sync in the background and do it frequently therefore everytime I edited a note by modifying tags which a lot of new users do, it uploaded again. One user suggested putting large notes in a local folder until you know you've finished tagging and editing it. Then move to a synched notebook.

Any suggestions? I'd love to find a resource that gives best practices, like how to deal with this and other gotchas. I don't want to pay $25 for the Evernote Essentials and don't know if it covers this or not. If you know where I can get info like this please let me know.

As of now, I'm stuck with not syncing Evernote on my main computer for the nex 6 days.

Thanks for any tips.

One user suggested putting large notes in a local folder until you know you've finished tagging and editing it. Then move to a synched notebook.

That was what I did when I was scanning old stuff, and then just transferred blocks over to the synced notebooks and stayed under the monthly limit (back when it was 500MB/month) so I didn't lose my syncing. Then I just dumped stuff in during the last day of the cycle to make sure I got to the limit.

I'm doing this too. I have two folders on desktop, one synced to INBOX (for docs I know I want to upload) and another, synced to a local notebook, "To be Uploaded". I put everything else in here, big files, etc., pending the month end.

One user suggested putting large notes in a local folder until you know you've finished tagging and editing it. Then move to a synched notebook.

That was what I did when I was scanning old stuff, and then just transferred blocks over to the synced notebooks and stayed under the monthly limit (back when it was 500MB/month) so I didn't lose my syncing. Then I just dumped stuff in during the last day of the cycle to make sure I got to the limit.

• 1 month later...
Let me have a special "high priority" tag that violates my default sort order for notes. My default is chronologically by date created, newest on top. I want my special high priority items to always appear at the top regardless of when created. I would find this very useful.

For my "high priority" notes, I use the ! char to start the note title. Click the Title header; if the sort order is descending all notes starting with ! will be at the top of the list. But, for reasons know only to Evernote, you can't search for the ! char. "intitle:!mynote," assuming such a notes exists, will return 0 results.

I hope that helps.

Be able to save into a shared folder. My wife and I both cook and want to keep our recipes in the same folder. Other things we keep separately. The workaround is clumsy (save into a local folder, then copy, then delete from the local.)

This feature would make it an impressive project management document database system.

• 1 month later...

1. Please do something so that an entire Stack can be shared with all notebooks in that stack. Right now I have a stack with 25 notebooks in it and some of the note books have 25 to 30 notes that may be a "page" or two long. So lots of info.

2. The ability to import a group of people's email address into the Invite Box. I have over 2,000 people that I want to share a notebook with (and like I said over 25 notebooks). So to have to type in each person's email address for each of the 25 notebooks is a deal killer. I'm sure that each of my 2,000 people who I share with would be happy to become a Premium Member if they had to. Example to share 25 notebooks with 2,000 people is 2,000 X 25 notebooks means typing in over 50,000 email addresses. Then If I add a notebook I have to retype in each of the 2,000 email addresses again. Is there someway that I could share notebooks with these 2,000 people without having to notify each one through the invite box in EN. Maybe send them to a link where they could just subscribe to a notebook.

3. The ability to notify people who subscribe to my notebooks of additions or changes to a notebook.

4. Free vino for all Premium members. :-)

1. Please do something so that an entire Stack can be shared with all notebooks in that stack. Right now I have a stack with 25 notebooks in it and some of the note books have 25 to 30 notes that may be a "page" or two long. So lots of info.

2. The ability to import a group of people's email address into the Invite Box. I have over 2,000 people that I want to share a notebook with (and like I said over 25 notebooks). So to have to type in each person's email address for each of the 25 notebooks is a deal killer. I'm sure that each of my 2,000 people who I share with would be happy to become a Premium Member if they had to. Example to share 25 notebooks with 2,000 people is 2,000 X 25 notebooks means typing in over 50,000 email addresses. Then If I add a notebook I have to retype in each of the 2,000 email addresses again. Is there someway that I could share notebooks with these 2,000 people without having to notify each one through the invite box in EN. Maybe send them to a link where they could just subscribe to a notebook.

Who are you sharing with and what type of content is this? I'm having a hard time imagining the scenario.

With that many people, you could consider just making it public and sending them all a link.

If you have all 2,000 people's email in a spreadsheet or something, you could copy/paste that list. You would just need to then do a copy/paste 25 times (Once for each notebook)

Allow structuring and sharing of structures.

I know I'm not the first one to say so but I'm putting the finger on the point again because of its impact on data organisation which is definitely an aim of Evernote IMHO:

The drawback on tag structuring in flat collections is that you only see the immanent structure by searching and not by showing.

If you want to share structured information, like projects/circumstances where the structure of presentation is part of the information itself

a) it forces you to put all information/notes into a single notebook, because there are no overall tags once shared

:) the structure within has to be outlined by a "keynote" or people won't know the structure inferred otherwise by obvious organisation

This means that Evernote generally is more applicable for sharing collections than constructions.

Nevertheless the concept of "inheriting" context by nesting entities of understanding is quite a natural real world model, not so much just "old" thinking habit.

Why is the flat structure hung up so highly as basic concept for Evernote?

• Level 5
I know I'm not the first one to say so but

• * tag structuring
    * flat collections
    * structuring
    * sharing of structures
    * structured information
    * sharing collections
    * constructions
    * "inheriting" context
    * nesting entities of understanding
    * flat structure