REQUEST: Tag List OR Tag Cloud

bmehling

The list of tags gets longer and longer -- I basically leave that sidebar closed because it's just a big and not that useful to scroll through a long list of keywords.

I was thinking it might be neat to use the Tag Cloud concept (you know, font size and shade of gray indicates how many times a tag is used) and display your personal cloud of tags in that pane. That eliminates the "height" issue as the cloud is a more compact view. Of course, it should be a configurable view setting for those that prefer a long list.

Just a thought -- hardly a super important change...

Thanks, Ben

• Level 5*

I have a lot of tags, and the list is growing every week. I keep the unassigned tags hidden, and use Ctrl-alt-T to assign tags. That makes the list manageable, although I wish EN would allow showing all of the tags that are higher in the hierarchy that I have once I have put my key tags in. If I want to search, I use the tag:xxx structure in the search box. If I have too many hits, I can move some of those to a temporary folder. I get irritated by the cloud approach, but maybe that is just me - so no support from here! Sorry!

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
The list of tags gets longer and longer
(and other related comments)

The tag list in the left panel may be organized into a tree structure, making it easier to navigate.

..and I would like to see "show only tags of selected notebook" ;)

Right click on the "Tags" header of the tag list, and if you see the menu item "Hide unassigned tags", then select it. This unassigned tags from the results of the current note filter to be displayed.

Want tag cloud please. Or at least an auto-complete when filling in a tag for multiple notes.

The Assign Tags dialog (used for tagging multiple notes) has auto-complete for tags.

I haven't seen any indication that Evernote is interested in implementing tag cloud functionality, but they don't typically share their development roadmap with us. It might be of interest to search the forums for "tag cloud", as it's been suggested before.

• 3 weeks later...

I second this! I think it would be great to have the option to display tags as a tag cloud. Evernote are limiting the number of notebooks to 250- clearly that is not a lot for a power user, the idea being that instead we will rely on tags to categorize our notes (allowing us up to 10,000). A list of more than a few hundred or so tags quickly gets unwieldy. The time you spend scrolling down to find a tag means that it's probably quicker to type the tag in the search box...... A cloud tag would solve this (to some extent) as instead of the one tag per line restriction, a tag cloud conserves screen space by having multiple tags in the same row.

Zotero (which I also use, mainly for organizing citations), despite its visually less-pleasing interface, gets this, and does the tag cloud thing very well.

• Level 5

While Tag Clouds may add some functionality to some users, I think the core issue here is how you are organizing your notes with Tags/Notebooks. If you are a new user and you are talking about 250 notebooks being "not a lot", then it is clear to me that you need to re-organize your Notebooks/Tags organization. Beginners tend to create too many notebooks and too many tags, eventually ending up with a very messy setup, regretting it later.

Take some planning time, how you want to organize all your notes, tags and notebooks, it is time spent well. ENs Search facility is very powerful. If you put important Search words in your notes (or title), finding these notes again is very quick and easy (and eliminates a good deal of tags and notebooks).

Many people here have a lot more than 10,000 notes and very few notebooks. Some "power-users" have only one.

This thread may be helpful for further ideas on how to do this.

Wern

• 5 months later...

Give me a break on this "new user" line. Tagging is far superior to any form notebook creation and/or tag nesting. When you're dealing with a lot of data you need a tag cloud... I guess you experience evangelists don't have much information you're dealing with.

When you're dealing with a lot of data you need a tag cloud... I guess you experience evangelists don't have much information you're dealing with.

I hate tag clouds. I have no problem finding my notes. I have over 50,000 of them in Evernote. It's all relative. But I'd say that qualifies as a pretty fair amount of information.

• Level 5

Give me a break on this "new user" line. Tagging is far superior to any form notebook creation and/or tag nesting. When you're dealing with a lot of data you need a tag cloud... I guess you experience evangelists don't have much information you're dealing with.

I've got over 16,000 notes. Half of them include political commentary (international, national, state, county and city)

I dumped the list of my tags to a word document - it ended up 19 pages long - approximately 850 tags.

I have them structured with the parent / child format plus 3 character prefixes.

Lot of stuff, but totally manageable.

• Level 5*

@Speed2fly: I'm guessing you'd be incorrect. I only have 2600+ notes, and a fairly small number of tags (maybe 150 or so?), but others (e.g. BurgersNFries) have many more). My tag scheme is by design -- I don't need a lot because I tend to treat them like adjectives and combine them. Never actually understood the tag cloud thing, so I guess I don't need that either; just a minimal hierarchy, which I usually keep closed anyways. I do believe in tags as a better method of organizing than hierarchical structures. On the other hand, I don't really need yet another organizational system to organize my tags.

Of course, this being a user forum, you're totally welcome to present a better argument for tag clouds than "when you're dealing with a lot of data you need a tag cloud," if you have one.

Never actually understood the tag cloud thing,.

Me neither. I guess that's why I hate them. I find them distracting. I don't need some visual representation of my tags with my most used ones in

Really big letters.

I've got over 16,000 notes. Half of them include political commentary (international, national, state, county and city)

I dumped the list of my tags to a word document - it ended up 19 pages long - approximately 850 tags.

I have them structured with the parent / child format plus 3 character prefixes.

Lot of stuff, but totally manageable.

JBenson,

Could you point me to some info about the parent-child format? And how do you use the 3 character prefixes? As a sorting function?

• Level 5

JBenson,

Could you point me to some info about the parent-child format? And how do you use the 3 character prefixes? As a sorting function?

Here are a few of my posts on the 3-character prefix:

• 1 month later...

+1 for Tag Cloud!

Problems with the current implementation:

1. Tags list gets longer than browser windows size AND user has his often used tags starting with late alphabet letters => cumbersome, frequent scrolling.
  2. Tag groups callapsed by default and have to be switched to callapsed state after expanding to preserve space.
  3. Lack of the ability to review tags at a glance.
  4. Lack of the ability to quickly access most often used tags.
  5. Assigning a child tag does not tie a note to the parrent tag.

No prioritization of most often used elements - what is this? 90's? :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived