(Archived) Feature requests: GPS in desktop, integrated audioplayer

So, I have a few feature requests/ideas that I haven't found while searching the forum:

-GPS support for the desktop app. It should be possible to deduce the location of the computer with the IP. There are services for that. That way you could search for notes made in the office, at home, ...

-Integrated audioplayer for voicenotes made with Iphone, Android,...

-chose which notebook to sync to desktop. There are some notebooks I need at work versus some that I need only at home and which only take up space on the computer. It would be great if there was an option to download note from server if it was not found local (toggle on/off)

• Level 5*
-chose which notebook to sync to desktop. There are some notebooks I need at work versus some that I need only at home and which only take up space on the computer. It would be great if there was an option to download note from server if it was not found local (toggle on/off)

Create local notebooks for home on the home computer, local notebooks for work on the work computer, and sync notebooks for what you want to be on both home and work.

Honestly, IMO, if you're worried about disk space, then I think it's time to invest in another hard drive. I've got quite a few notes & my db is ~6 gb. Given than the monthly upload limit is 60 mb (free) or 1 gb (premium), the most data anyone will be adding to their cloud is 12 gb over the course of a year.

OTOH, if you used local notebooks & had a lot of very large PDFs, that's another story. But still, those won't be added to the cloud, so would only be stored on the computer they are created on.

-Integrated audioplayer for voicenotes made with Iphone, Android,...

Since the audio types may (Will?) be different, it makes no sense for EN to include a player. Just as EN does with image editors, it's handed off to a third party app. No need for EN to reinvent the wheel. Plus, that allows each user to choose the viewer/player/editor of their choice.

It's nice to see that I am left with the choice of which audioplayer I use for my audiofiles. It's also nice to see that there are a lot of work-arounds for most of the features requested by other people as well.

BUT: I merely suggested an idea. I did not say "I can't live without that, how can I possibly do that?". Of course I could add the location with a tag. Of course I can, I don't know, add a tag for when I want a link to another note. What most of us want is to just say "hey, have you thought about that?"

But what I have encountered so far on this forum is that powerposters often counter suggestions with, "nah, they don't need to include that, it would be useless. You can do that with this easy 10 step workaround right now". That's not called for. If the world worked like that, we would not need Evernote, we would only require a good filing and backup system. The thing is, Evernote is great and it could be even better. And that's where ideas from other people come in. They don't have to include them, but they should at least hear them (and that's what they do, from what I read).

But other users should not shoot an idea, any idea, down. It's not your call.

So, just my two cents after reading a few hours in this forum.

wientanz

Honestly, IMO, if you're worried about disk space, then I think it's time to invest in another hard drive. I've got quite a few notes & my db is ~6 gb. Given than the monthly upload limit is 60 mb (free) or 1 gb (premium), the most data anyone will be adding to their cloud is 12 gb over the course of a year.

OTOH, if you used local notebooks & had a lot of very large PDFs, that's another story. But still, those won't be added to the cloud, so would only be stored on the computer they are created on.

• [*:3m5uahdy]SSDs are not cheap, for those who are using them.
    [*:3m5uahdy]The repository where Evernote's database sits in cannot be changed, nor can it be moved to another hard drive. Therefore your suggestion of "investing into a new hard drive" also requires a reinstallation or a migration of an user's operating system and files associated with it, as the user cannot merely "plug in the new hard drive to expand the space of the original hard drive".
    [*:3m5uahdy]Your 12GB theoretical maximum statement is incorrect: I recall a post on the Evernote forums where a user could cancel and subscribe again to the Evernote Premium service, thus 'clearing' the upload limit of their account for the month.

You can change the location of the Evernote database in Windows by going to Tools->Options->Change Database Location

You can change it on Android by going into the Settings->Applications, going to Evernote and then selecting "Move to SD Card"

You cannot change the location (in a supported manner) on the Mac.

If you would like to install GPS capability on a desktop client, it *is* supported in Windows 7 *only*. If you don't have a GPS card, install Geosense (http://www.geosenseforwindows.com/) or something similar and you'll be good to go.

But what I have encountered so far on this forum is that powerposters often counter suggestions with, "nah, they don't need to include that, it would be useless. You can do that with this easy 10 step workaround right now". That's not called for.

[/drama]

This is a user's board. A place for users to exchange ideas. Sometimes the replies (by other users) to feature requests echo what's already been stated by EN. Sometimes the replies offer workarounds that allow users to implement something today that satisfies their needs, rather than wait for it to be implemented in the future, if it ever is.

SSDs are not cheap, for those who are using them.

That's true. But that doesn't discount the fact that if you're tight on space & a handful of gigs is a concern, that the greater concern is the size of the hard drive itself.

The repository where Evernote's database sits in cannot be changed, nor can it be moved to another hard drive.

Yes, it can. I've had my EN database on my V drive since day 1. However, as Heather pointed out, I guess that's not supported on Mac, which I did not know. (However, for those who are tech savvy, this unsupported option may work.)

Your 12GB theoretical maximum statement is incorrect: I recall a post on the Evernote forums where a user could cancel and subscribe again to the Evernote Premium service, thus 'clearing' the upload limit of their account for the month.

I don't know how that would work, since canceling a premium account leaves you as a premium account until the end of the cycle. But let's say you can do this. If someone is going to the trouble of canceling & rejoining on a regular basis in order to bump up the annual upload amount to let's say triple (canceling & rejoining ~3 times each month), that takes you to 36 gb, which is still small potatoes by today's standards.

Archived