(Archived) Request: Incorporate tool like those found in Skim for OSX.

There is a free program about the web called "Skim". This handy tool lets the user underline, circle, post notes, icons, alerts etc directly onto PDF files allowing the user to mark up a PDF (the marking are only visible when using said program). This is something that I've always noticed missing in Evernote. there is no way to make notes on a PDF.

PDF functionality resembling skim would make all the difference!

Here is the link to the program. Rather neat.

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

Depending upon your OS, you can use Skitch (Mac) or Jetscreenshot (Windows) to annotate screen shots. I can also use a myriad of free PDF editors/viewers to annotate, highlight my PDFs.

This is something that I've always noticed missing in Evernote. there is no way to make notes on a PDF.

Yes you can. See paragraph above.

Why, on Earth, would one want to use "Skim" when annotations are only visible to users of the app? :shock:

Since this is your first post on this board, me thinks you must be affiliated with Skim. Not a problem except if you are, please state this rather than pretend to be a "user."

Depending upon your OS, you can use Skitch (Mac) or Jetscreenshot (Windows) to annotate screen shots. I can also use a myriad of free PDF editors/viewers to annotate, highlight my PDFs.
This is something that I've always noticed missing in Evernote. there is no way to make notes on a PDF.

Yes you can. See paragraph above.

Why, on Earth, would one want to use "Skim" when annotations are only visible to users of the app? :shock:

Since this is your first post on this board, me thinks you must be affiliated with Skim. Not a problem except if you are, please state this rather than pretend to be a "user."

Wow, you have managed to misread my entire post.

First, I was merely describing Skim, I don't use it because it doesn't save notes and annotations to the PDF itself. Which, yes, means it's next to useless when I add them to Evernote.

Second, I was requesting functions for Evernote, (there is no way to make annotations on PDFs in EVERNOTE, please keep in mind we're on an Evernote forum after all!) I use Evernote heavily for my projects and would like it if they expanded their functionality so I can highlight and annotate PDFs while I am still in Evernote - I would like to not have to go between 2 or 3 apps when I'm reading PDFs. I thought that the basic idea of Skim was well done, so I used it as an example.

Third, why on earth would a skim "affiliate" (whatever that means) ask for evernote to copy its functionality? That doesn't make any sense. Needless to say, I'm not a affiliated with Skim, I wouldn't even particularly recommend the program, BUT it does something useful that evernote does not do. And with note sharing, I think it could add an extra kick to projects that require collaboration.

Have a nice day!

No you can not. See paragraph above. :D

• Level 5

Yes, that "affiliate" assumption was uncalled for. Unfortunately, some people jump in without reading the entire post.

In your very first post, you mentioned the link to Sourceforge.net

Sourceforge is dedicated to offering free open-source software and thrives on community collaboration.

I did not feel you were trying to promote the program, you were just looking for a way to edit PDF's in Evernote.

Second, I was requesting functions for Evernote, (there is no way to make annotations on PDFs in EVERNOTE, please keep in mind we're on an Evernote forum after all!) :

1. It could easily be interpreted from your OP that you are wanting Skim incoporated into Evernote.

2. Unless you're new to the planet, I'm sure you are aware that people hawking their own apps often frequent other message boards, posing as a satisfied user. So it does tend to raise eyebrows when a new board member's first post (on any message board) is about a different piece of software. There was nothing untoward in my post, so if you are not affiliated with Skim, there is no reason to be offended. A simple, "No, I'm not affiliated with Skim" is sufficient. (Which you did include in your 2nd post, except you also indicate you don't know what "affiliated with" means...)

Needless to say, I'm not a affiliated with Skim,

(snip)

why on earth would a skim "affiliate" (whatever that means)

3. Just like with Skim, I don't know why I'd want annotations I made in Evernote to only be visible in Evernote.

4:

As I mentioned in my post above, yes, you can make notes in a PDF in Evernote by using a third party app, just like you do with image editing, Word/Excel/etc editing.

Depends on the client.

Our sister product, RitePen, does this admirably on Windows.

As BurgersNFries Mentioned, you can use Skitch on Mac.

iAnnotate does this on the iPhone.

I'm sure you can find something that can do it on any of our platforms...

Depends on the client.

Our sister product, RitePen, does this admirably on Windows.

As BurgersNFries Mentioned, you can use Skitch on Mac.

iAnnotate does this on the iPhone.

I'm sure you can find something that can do it on any of our platforms...

Preview does annotation on PDFs magically well.

Archived