(Archived) Searched words highlighting fails dep. on \n\r

doktorzirb

I've gone crazy with this. Some words never appeared highlighted in searchs in the Andorid client, in the case of plain text notes imported (by dragging or copy-pasting) into the Windows client. The 3 Alpha / Beta releases didn't solve this. Some times, two consecutive words in consecutive lines were highlighted, even if you only looked for the first one. Or even more odd, the next word to the one you were looking for was highlighted, instead of the target word.

Opening the original text files in raw mode (od -a in Unix) it was clear that there wasn't any special aliens surrounding the failing words, except by the fact that the end of the line concept matched the Windows style (\n\r). If I remove every ASCII 13 and leave the lines like in Unix (\n alone), and then import by copy-and-paste, the problem dissapears. If I import by dragging the text file into the Window's client window, it correctly creates the note (not any special linked document), but searches in the Android side do not work.

I reported the bug a week ago more or less, (and even sent a test file), and I thought it had dissappeared, but after an automated update of my Windows client, it happened again (always on the Android client), so it could we due to the way the Windows client upload the text to the server.

• Level 5*

I've not seen this particular problem, since I don't use the Android client, but to be a little pedantic about things, the Windows-style line end is carriage return/line feed ('\r\n', or hex 0xD 0xA). I agree though that removing the carriage returns (ASCII-13, \r or 0x0D) leaves the correct Unix-style line endings in place. What seems odd to me is that when I drag a text file into the Windows client, and then export to .enex, the line breaks are converted to

tags, i.e., no CR/LFs in the text portion at all. I'm not sure what the internal format is, but I believe that transfers to the server are in ENML, so I'm surprised that the source format would make that kind of difference. Still poking around at this though (while I am working on other things).

~Jeff

Yeah not pedantic, just I bogotified the order :-/

To make a long story short, I've been migrating an increasing number of notes since the mid 80's, from VMS to Unix to Mac to Palm / Windoze and, eventually, after a short trip through One Note and Open Office over Drop Box, I'm considering migrating to Evernote. Imports from One Note have been easy (great job, congrats, Evernote guys!) but importing thousands of notes from plain text to Evernote is an issue I haven't solved yet. Eventually, it happens this another issue with linefeeds. I can process all my thousands of text notes in a swift using a few scripts to get the proper work done on character encoding and linefeed processing, but how on earth do I import them into Evernote, if the only way to do it is to cut & paste, because dragging them (a time consuming operation, whatever) doesn't provides me the power of making searchs properly on my Nexus? Any helpful idea? A massive email scripting to my private Evernote email address doesn't work either (the problem with searches holds)

• Level 5*
Eventually, it happens this another issue with linefeeds. I can process all my thousands of text notes in a swift using a few scripts to get the proper work done on character encoding and linefeed processing, but how on earth do I import them into Evernote, if the only way to do it is to cut & paste, because dragging them (a time consuming operation, whatever) doesn't provides me the power of making searchs properly on my Nexus? Any helpful idea? A massive email scripting to my private Evernote email address doesn't work either (the problem with searches holds)

Have you tried stripping the carriage returns, and then using an Import Folder (Tools / Import Folder...) to get them into Evernote in the Windows client?

~Jeff

• Level 5*

Glad to hear it. A shame that you have to do the work yourself (and the search vs. CR/LF is still a bit of an unsolved mystery) -- a good thing that you have skillz to work around the issue.

~Jeff

There's a bug, def

In spite of the efforts, some files continue to give me problems. Can solve them, but with a lot of ad-hoc work... too busy to devote more time to this (it's more amusing that my current job, must say, but...)

I've contacted the support team and they've admitted there's a bug, waiting for solution... The product is great, it deserves (and the team deserve) to be credited and I'm sure they'll make it soon.

BTW, I haven't had this problem so far when copying and pasting plain text and RTF docs to Evernote in Linux, using the Web interface. IMHO it's all about CRs and LFs.

Archived