(Archived) Evernote for Android v. 2.6 Beta 1

Philip Constantinou

Hey folks -

We've published another update to Android 2.6. This version, beta 1, has the following updates:

• [*:3iueic8w]Improved rich text editor
    [*:3iueic8w]Fixed problems with failing to scale images
    [*:3iueic8w]Improved note loading speed

For the image scaling problems, you may need to go into your Settings and select "Clear cache" for the correctly displayed notes to appear.

You can download the latest version now at:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

We'd love to hear your feedback.

[EDIT] Hey folks -- we've changed the version number -- instead of calling this release 3.0 we're going to call it 2.6 and push out a release a little sooner. My apologies for any confusion this causes.

Hello,

I have just tried it and the note editing seem to have improved a lot. Now it is possible to add new lines inside of a note. Meanwhile, after editing a note that is mostly a single line note, the note appear as double-lined after I have finished editing it, even if it was just about adding a little dot at the end of a line. Appeared to be scary but I saved and sync the note to realize that my changes took places but not the double-lined appearing, except for what I have added. Let me explain.

If I add a single "." character at the end of a line and save, the whole note will appear as double lined on the Android, but on the web and windows, the note will appear just fine (only a new dot will appear).

If I add the following in the middle of my note:

line1

line2

line3

This will appear as double lined on the device (i.e.):

line1

line2

line3

And on the web it will also appear as double line... But on the Windows version, it will appear just fine:

line1

line2

line3

So, there is a little inconsistency. What we see on the device is more scary than it is actually. To resolve the whole situation, I have done a tiny edition on windows, and resych everywhere and the note started to appear properly everywhere.

This is an awsome feature. I will test it more but it is definitively promising...

How will you announce to the community that note editing is now possible on android.... and still not possible on Iphone!!! You are not trying to tell people that android is better than IOS, aren't you? :wink:

Thanks for the great feature.

- Pierre

I am writing just to say big Thank you for this update and continued support of Android platform.

All is working fine with this last update for me. I notice a huge speed improvement on

loading notes and I really like the Snippet view.

Thanks again!

I wanted to report my findings after installing this:

1. Loading a plain text note took 12-15 seconds. Faster than before but still slow.

2. Loading a note containing some small images took more than 60 seconds. At least it is eventually showing up but it is requiring me to wait more than a minute before I can see it.

Conclusion - there is some improvement but it is not close to the threshold of acceptability. Loading page remains an issue.

(Using Android froyo 2.2.1)

Hello,

I have just tried it and the note editing seem to have improved a lot. Now it is possible to add new lines inside of a note. Meanwhile, after editing a note that is mostly a single line note, the note appear as double-lined after I have finished editing it, even if it was just about adding a little dot at the end of a line. Appeared to be scary but I saved and sync the note to realize that my changes took places but not the double-lined appearing, except for what I have added. Let me explain.

If I add a single "." character at the end of a line and save, the whole note will appear as double lined on the Android, but on the web and windows, the note will appear just fine (only a new dot will appear).

If I add the following in the middle of my note:

line1

line2

line3

This will appear as double lined on the device (i.e.):

line1

line2

line3

And on the web it will also appear as double line... But on the Windows version, it will appear just fine:

line1

line2

line3

So, there is a little inconsistency. What we see on the device is more scary than it is actually. To resolve the whole situation, I have done a tiny edition on windows, and resych everywhere and the note started to appear properly everywhere.

This is an awsome feature. I will test it more but it is definitively promising...

How will you announce to the community that note editing is now possible on android.... and still not possible on Iphone!!! You are not trying to tell people that android is better than IOS, aren't you? :wink:

Thanks for the great feature.

- Pierre

Yes, we have found the issue. We will update the fix in next beta update. Thank you for the report.

Thanks,

Hemant

Android Developer

I wanted to report my findings after installing this:

1. Loading a plain text note took 12-15 seconds. Faster than before but still slow.

2. Loading a note containing some small images took more than 60 seconds. At least it is eventually showing up but it is requiring me to wait more than a minute before I can see it.

Conclusion - there is some improvement but it is not close to the threshold of acceptability. Loading page remains an issue.

(Using Android froyo 2.2.1)

Dear User,

Note loading time would depend on your n/w connectivity.

Pls send us the logs and we would investigate this further.

Try to open couple of notes and then go to setup and click send logs to android-preview@evernote.com.

Thanks,

Does this version allow me to search my offline notebooks without a data connection?

For me, this is the single biggest negative about the EN experience on Android.

Dear User,

This feature is not yet available. But this is definitely in our plan.

Thanks

Does this version allow me to search my offline notebooks without a data connection?

Dear User,

Thanks

Thanks for the update. Do you know if this is actively being worked on yet or has it not got that far yet?

Dear User,

Thanks

I would upgrade to premium if this were possible. Curious, what's the point of offline notebooks if a data connection is required?

Dear User,

Thanks

I would upgrade to premium if this were possible. Curious, what's the point of offline notebooks if a data connection is required?

My understanding is that you can browse an offline notebook but cannot search it at this time. So, if you have a notebook with a few notes in it, you can scroll through the list and pick whichever note you want. This is particularly useful if you need to grab a note you put in recently, that would be at the top of the list. I guess you could also make a small notebook just for offline notes and move a note there and sync if your on the go and know you'll need it.

I'm sure they want to implement offline searching, its just a matter of getting the programming right.

My understanding is that you can browse an offline notebook but cannot search it at this time. So, if you have a notebook with a few notes in it, you can scroll through the list and pick whichever note you want. This is particularly useful if you need to grab a note you put in recently, that would be at the top of the list. I guess you could also make a small notebook just for offline notes and move a note there and sync if your on the go and know you'll need it.

I'm sure they want to implement offline searching, its just a matter of getting the programming right.

It seems that you can't browse an off-line notebook without a data connection though.

See: Offline Notebooks and a Data Connection

So I am having a problem with the Blackberry Evernote application just released in January. Support first told me to uninstall it and reinstall the beta version. I still have the problem. So today the email from Evernote support instructs me to download and install the beta version for Android (link in the first email in this thread). Is this Android beta version going to work in my Blackberry Torch 9800 or am I missing something here?

I did raise this question back to the support team but they typically only respond once each day so this problem I am having has dragged on into weeks now. They give me different things to do attempting to solve the problem but so far nothing has worked. Now with this instruction to download an Android app for my Blackberry Torch 9800 has me wondering if they are paying attention to my support thread over time.

What do you think?

TheGurkha,

I just been able to view and edit a note on my Galaxy S while the internet connection was shutdown. The note was belonging to a book marked for offline availability and was containing rich text (it was the content of a web page). After the edition took places, I have re-enabled the internet and let the phone sync and could see the change back on the windows version of evernote.

I might have misunderstood your message, but offline mode is working as described.

As of searching in offline mode, this is not working but browsing by tag works, which could help reducing the manual search.

Hope this help

- Pierre

So I am having a problem with the Blackberry Evernote application just released in January. Support first told me to uninstall it and reinstall the beta version. I still have the problem. So today the email from Evernote support instructs me to download and install the beta version for Android (link in the first email in this thread). Is this Android beta version going to work in my Blackberry Torch 9800 or am I missing something here?

I did raise this question back to the support team but they typically only respond once each day so this problem I am having has dragged on into weeks now. They give me different things to do attempting to solve the problem but so far nothing has worked. Now with this instruction to download an Android app for my Blackberry Torch 9800 has me wondering if they are paying attention to my support thread over time.

What do you think?

I located your TS ticket and log file. I will forward those information to our Blackberry Engineer. Sorry for the mishandling your case.

I will contact you again as soon as I have information from our engineer.

Ah Fan

Thank you. I have a daily correspondence going with support but it has been stuck in a loop as I now have been asked to download the same prerelease beta software 3 different times. I did it the first time and the problem still exists. Anyway it looks like the request for me to download the Android beta must have been a mix-up by the support team. I just outlined the glorious details of the history of my issue back to support and hope that it will help get me out of this confusing loop.

It seems that you can't browse an off-line notebook without a data connection though.

See: Offline Notebooks and a Data Connection

Hmm, I just set my phone to airplane mode and it did allow me to browse one of my offline notebooks. The odd thing is, it says "two offline notebooks" were selected in the main menu, though when I go to the settings at add or oremove an offlien notebook, only one was shown as checked "offline". I don't know whether or not my second notebook was supposed to be an offline one or not.

It seems that you can browse offline notebooks, but its possible it might be a little glitchy.... this is easily testable by setting the phone to airplane mode after you've set a notebook to be offline if you are a premium user.

Hmm, I just set my phone to airplane mode and it did allow me to browse one of my offline notebooks. The odd thing is, it says "two offline notebooks" were selected in the main menu, though when I go to the settings at add or oremove an offlien notebook, only one was shown as checked "offline". I don't know whether or not my second notebook was supposed to be an offline one or not.

It seems that you can browse offline notebooks, but its possible it might be a little glitchy.... this is easily testable by setting the phone to airplane mode after you've set a notebook to be offline if you are a premium user.

I set my phone to airplane mode and I could browse the notes, including the ones with images in. It seems to be a bit hit and miss for me.

TheGurkha wrote:

Dear User,

I was disappointed after upgrading to paid version that I couldn't search my offline notebooks without a data connection.

The search feature is so good on a desktop and soooo bad on mobile.

I have Satellite internet and the inherent latency makes searching painfully slow. Maybe works better on real internet?

Anyway glad to hear offline searching is in the works - can't come too soon for me.

Archived