(Archived) Evernote for the win!

• Level 5

I drove my wife to the doctor this morning.

Her company changed medical insurance companies for 2011.

She forgot to bring the new card along.

I called up Evernote on my iPod Touch and searched for "Blue Cross", found the scanned pdf, opened it and handed the iPod to the doctor's assistant to complete the paperwork.

Thanks Evernote and ScanSnap.

You know, me, as a new Evernote employee, wayback in 2008 I had a similar situation happen. Was at the doctor's office, didn't have my insurance card. Only I *didn't* have my info saved into Evernote.

*Shock!*

*Horror!*

Thankfully, our long-suffering and wonderful Finance Manager (since promoted) was ready with the relevant number for me via email. At the end of her email, she said, "Hey, have you ever heard of this thing called Evernote?"

The point was taken, and I have stuck *everything* in there since.

Another "win": drove ½-hour to county offices to renew my dog's license. "We need to see an updated rabies vaccine statement from your vet." "Dang...don't have that on me...wait, I've got it in Evernote on my iPhone, can I email it to you?" She said she could just look at the phone and verify the date. Problem solved. Dog is legal. Additional hour driving time avoided. Time + gas = Evernote paid for itself.

"Hey, have you ever heard of this thing called Evernote?"

:(

Problem solved. Dog is legal. Additional hour driving time avoided. Time + gas = Evernote paid for itself.

I love when that happens.

I have to admit, for my use, EN on my old iPhone was fairly unwieldy b/c it was a 3G and I tend to add many notes on a daily basis. (I think the whole sync'ing thing affected the ability to access my notes combined with the slower hardware.) So I used to rely upon Dropbox. BUT...I'd put the note into Evernote first. Then, if I thought I'd need it on the go, I'd take a screen cap & put that into Dropbox. However, since upgrading to iPhone 4, my EN/iPhone experience is a lot, lot better! So now, I'm relying more upon Evernote & less upon Dropbox, b/c if you have very many items in Dropbox, it becomes unwieldy to find them. (And reminds me why I don't understand why some people feel the need for sub-folders in Evernote, btw!) Much easier to pull things up from Evernote, IMO.

One thing I often use on the go is a list of drugs for each family member. If someone has to go to Urgent Care/ER, I can pull that up & know what they are taking as well as the dosage. (Be sure to include "as needed" drugs, too. B/c if the person is released with newly prescribed drugs & you ask if the patient should not take optional drug 1 with the newly prescribed drug(s) by ER doc, you may get chided for not including this info at check in. :) )

Archived