(Archived) Tags local to a Notebook

Have you guys considered adding the ability to limit a tags visibility to a given notebook? I have several tags I want to use in my Business notebook, but will never use them in my Personal notebook. Having vast real estate covered up with grey text (unused tags) seems like a waste.

I'll second that again.....

This has been raised before and is a very valid point. It would be so much simpler to just see just the tags for the open notebook instead of all tags.

Discussion here......

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5832&p=21707&hilit=tags+local#p21707

Don't forget that even if you have a local notebook, the tags you use for it are still posted up to the web version. A lot of us can't take this chance with business files. For now I use several different local notebooks for items that were tags in version 2.2. A shoddy work around I know but the only way to continue to evaluate version 3 with private information.

Have you guys considered adding the ability to limit a tags visibility to a given notebook? I have several tags I want to use in my Business notebook, but will never use them in my Personal notebook. Having vast real estate covered up with grey text (unused tags) seems like a waste.

You can reduce the number of tags displayed in the list by dragging tags under other tags. They form an organizational hierarchy which you can expand and close to hide/show sets of tags from your view.

This means you could make a "Business" top-level tag and then drag all of your business-only tags underneath it to hide them until you need them.

We're not currently scoping tags within notebooks since that opens up a set of UI and semantic questions that get a little ugly. E.g. can I make a "Pending" tag in both my Business and Personal notebooks? If so, then is this the same "Pending" tag or different? If I search for Business>Pending in All Notebooks, does that find notes tagged with Personal>Pending? Etc.

We spent several weeks going through the full implications of the different options here, and decided that the UI and cognitive model would be much more straightforward with a single namespace of keyword "Tags" that you could apply to notes.

Thanks

We're not currently scoping tags within notebooks since that opens up a set of UI and semantic questions that get a little ugly. E.g. can I make a "Pending" tag in both my Business and Personal notebooks? If so, then is this the same "Pending" tag or different? If I search for Business>Pending in All Notebooks, does that find notes tagged with Personal>Pending? Etc.

We spent several weeks going through the full implications of the different options here, and decided that the UI and cognitive model would be much more straightforward with a single namespace of keyword "Tags" that you could apply to notes.

Dave, Thanks for the very quick answer, As I'm in the UK I expected you guys to be asleep at this time..... :lol:

Your explanation of the thinking behind the Evernote tags helps me understand why we can't have separate tags for each notebook.

In Evernote 2.2 we have a Forum showing how different people use Evernote 2.2. Any chance that some of you guys could give us examples (other than the beer labels) of how you use notebooks/tags? This would help some of us mere mortals get to grips with it.......

Dave, Thanks for the very quick answer, As I'm in the UK I expected you guys to be asleep at this time..... :lol:

In Evernote 2.2 we have a Forum showing how different people use Evernote 2.2. Any chance that some of you guys could give us examples (other than the beer labels) of how you use notebooks/tags? This would help some of us mere mortals get to grips with it.......

In Japan this week ... Evernote never sleeps!

The "usage examples" suggestion is a good idea. We've done a little of this at a high level (http://blog.evernote.com/2008/05/07/how ... -evernote/), but more detailed examples/usages of features would be useful.

Thanks

You can reduce the number of tags displayed in the list by dragging tags under other tags. They form an organizational hierarchy which you can expand and close to hide/show sets of tags from your view.

This means you could make a "Business" top-level tag and then drag all of your business-only tags underneath it to hide them until you need them.

That works for filtering, but when you are creating a new note and hit the tag context menu (or ctrl-shift-t) or hit the tag from the systray popup (nice shortcut, btw), the tag dialog box just presents all the tags sorted down alpha order w/o regard to the hierarchy. Maybe instead of a dropdown combo, you could present the hierarchical list with checkboxes beside each tag?

Since we are talking about the semantics and use cases and such...

I have created a top-level tag called "Personal" and a sub-tag called "Products". When the Personal tag is collapsed and I click on the all-notebooks I get a display like: (sorry I don't have the little arrow graphics)

> Personal (10)

Then when I click on Personal it changes to

> Personal (0 of 10) (grayed out)

and no items show.

If I click on the arrow to expand it, I then get

V Personal

Products (0 of 10)

and no items show

then finally, I click on Products

V Personal

Products(10)

and the items show

This seems confusing, even when I know what it is doing, I still find it awkward.

Perhaps click on Personal should show all items that are tagged with the tags under Personal. I know this has been mentioned in another thread, but since we were talking about hierarchial tags solving an issue I thought I would reiterate it.

Thanks

Personally, I find that the fact that all tags are shown for all notebooks makes the notebook feature kind of useless. It's too difficult for me to sort through all of the tag choices and all of the notebook choices everytime I want to pull up a note. Without the option to simply display the tags for a given notebook I find that I want to organize everything in one giant notebook and just worry about the tags.

I would suggest that you add an option to only display tags that are used by at least one note in the currently selected notebooks. Tags would still not be specific to a particular notebook, but the program would simply hide the tags at the user interface level that are not contained in particularly selected notebooks. I realize this makes the user interface more complicated to learn, but it would make it easier to use once you understand how that feature works.

Maybe another option is to dynamically move the tags that are not used in the presently selected notebook to the bottom of the list. This way it would be easy to find an "active" tag for a particular notebook while there's no confusion as to whether a tag is particular to a given notebook or whether the tag already exists. If this is potentially too confusing it could be an "advanced" opt in customization choice. Now that I think about it, I think I like this option better.

Just my two cents.

• 3 months later...

Archived