(Archived) Evernote export questions

I am assuming this question has come up in the past, but my search of the forum did not turn up anything relevant, so if this is a repeat, please forgive me:

I am using Evernote more and more on Mac, PC and iPhone, yet I cannot see any easy way to export notes back out of Evernote, which I need to do on a regular basis for business purposes. I have not found anything that can read the .enex format except Evernote, which does not do me any good since I am looking at exporting note out of Evernote, not just save them externally. The only other option seems to be HTML, which is clunky at best. The last option is to email the note to yourself, but that does not seem to work with notes that have both a PDF and text attached and, ultimately, it is probably just easier to do a cut and paste at that point. For the record, I mainly use Evernote on my Mac, but do also use it on a PC.

Thanks in advance for whatever insights you can give me on this topic.

Tom Ballard

• Level 5

Here is a comment from Dave Engberg on Jan 16

• "We export to HTML for maximum portability because that format is an open standard that is supported by millions of different applications. It also can represent our range of data better than any other format.
    For example, if you had a notebook full of audio recordings and PDF notes and wanted to export those to the proprietary MS Word file format, then you'd basically have nothing, since Word doesn't represent either of those in any standard way.
    Just export to HTML and then open the HTML from MS Word."

In Windows,

If you're only doing a few, select an image, right click & save as. PDFs & all attachments can be double clicked to open in the third party viewer/editor & saved using the third party editor.

For doing many notes, as metrodon pointed out, you've found the methods.

The *.enex format preserves 100% of the contents of your notes for use in another copy of Evernote. The format is reasonably well documented, so third party applications could implement converters/importers if they wanted to, but I don't know of any applications that have done so (yet).

HTML format preserves 95% of the contents of your notes for use in an application other than Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Evernote

then the Android update messed up anything I tried to do on it

then I found out that I am completely stuck with it forever.

There is NO way to get your notes out of Evernote in a reasonable way.

I have over 500 notes to individually figure out how to get out.

I'm sure others have way more.

wtf

So now instead of continuing to use evernote knowing I have the ability to export if needed, I spend all of my time figuring out a way to extract myself from it. Yikes.

It was free though, and I appreciate that. Its my own fault for putting all my data into a totally proprietary format. Duh!....

I loved Evernote

then the Android update messed up anything I tried to do on it

then I found out that I am completely stuck with it forever.

There is NO way to get your notes out of Evernote in a reasonable way.

I have over 500 notes to individually figure out how to get out.

I'm sure others have way more.

wtf

So now instead of continuing to use evernote knowing I have the ability to export if needed, I spend all of my time figuring out a way to extract myself from it. Yikes.

It was free though, and I appreciate that. Its my own fault for putting all my data into a totally proprietary format. Duh!....

Dude. Please reread Dave's post above yours. FYI, html is hardly proprietary.

While I'm glad to see someone keeping the "Epic FAIL" meme alive, it's pretty easy to get 100% of your data out of Evernote into the most portable rich file format on the planet:

Install Evernote for Mac or Windows

Sync your account

Select all notes

File > Export

Choose "HTML" format

Now you have a directory with all of your notes as HTML and every file in your account organized in subdirectories.

Archived