IPad web-clipping

I'm new to Evernote and generally find it great, BUT why the inconsistency between the desktop version and mobile versions.

Before I go "premium" I want to see this product is easy to use and grief free! But, not being able to simply use the same web-clipping icon feature in Safari on my iPad or iPhone like I can on the desktop annoys me. OR am I missing something here?

I see the thread on what seems to be migration of the desktop feature onto mobile devices, so is it just not possible?

Is Instapaper a better option? Even Printopia enables PDF clipping from the iPad / iPhone but sends it tobthe desktop so is no use if you need the page while mobile. Web-clippings are a big part of the notes I gather for business.

Is there a fix / enhancement planned? Or am I not using it properly?

Thanks for your time and help.

A potential option for implementing a web clip would be to have a "Save Page to Evernote" menu option in Ipad's Safari browser's option menu (and other Apps in the iPad). Granted it would save the whole page, but that's probably ok. I think Instapaper does something similar.

Yes I agree and having the whole page is not really a drama although something more like Instapaper's article extraction would be optimal.

So I gather Evernote does not have real web-clipping capability for mobile devices.

Well I suppose that's why Instapaper's exists.

I'm also expecting Readledocs will soon do this now they have introduced the PDF feature.

Cheers.

A potential option for implementing a web clip would be to have a "Save Page to Evernote" menu option in Ipad's Safari browser's option menu (and other Apps in the iPad). Granted it would save the whole page, but that's probably ok. I think Instapaper does something similar.

I don't think iOS offers this. Apps can register to handle some file types (eg. pdfs), but I don't think html docs in Safari are amongst them.

Pending more inter-app facilities being added to iOS, a couple of ideas for useful temporary facilities would be: (1) a near-silent alternative bookmarklet, more like Instapaper's, that doesn't offer any options but just sticks the whole page in the default notebook (the current evernote bookmarklet is too slow for practical use on the iPad); and/or (2) an alternative mail-in evernote address that clips the whole page from any url in the body of the email.

• 4 weeks later...

might this blog-post be useful? i found it via google:

http://www.thoughtasylum.com/blog/2009/ ... afari.html

as the writer of this blogpost said: "It would be great if Evernote could team up with toRead or even provide a similar service themselves that would allow the prefixed information to be populated into the "correct" parts of the note meta data (e.g. the URL of the page into the URL field, the page title into the note title)."

thx !

(no, I'm not the writer of the quoted blogpost and I'm not from toRead, I'm just an evernote-user hoping to help evernote improving their services.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been successful using Evernote's book marlet for clipping in iPads Safari.

I have MobileMe which syncs my desktop bookmarks to iPad Safari bookmarks.

As I have the Evernote book market installed on my desktop's bookmark bar, it also shows up on my iPads bookmark bar. The JavaScript works perfectly on the iPad Safari.

To address limited page clipping, I also have Readibilities' book market installed on my iPad Safari using the same method described above. If there's an article that I want to save to Evernote when using iPad's Safari, I first use Readibility book marklet on the IPad to process the web page and then the Evernote book marklet to save it to Evernote. The full functionality of the Evernote book marklet is available so the clipping can be saved to a folder and a note can be added.

• 1 month later...

I too have been nosing around, trying to find a relatively simple iPad substitute for the desktop web clipper.

This works for me: a fabulous browser called Mercury ($0.99) that is feature-rich and, as billed, much faster than Safari. I save a webpage (2 clicks), then click on Mercury's downloads, click the file name, click Back, click the export button, click Open in other apps, click Evernote, and it is popped into Evernote. For a section of a page, I just copy and paste it into a new note in Evernote.

Still more cumbersome than I'd like, but it works. BTW I'm just a user, not affiliated in any way with these products.

• 3 months later...

Just come to this and searching for web clipper for iPad. I have the Mercury browser and saved the web page (2 clicks) and opened the saved file. However then I am lost. No 'back' button, and on hitting 'open with other apps' nothing appears - not even Evernote. Can anyone clarify if there is a more up to date way to clip from the web on the iPad?

I'm not sure where I found this information, but I created a bookmark on my bookmarks bar using the following javascript:

javascript:(function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';%20try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');%20x.type='text/javascript';%20x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);%20document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%20%7D%20catch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST%20+'/clip.action?url='%20+encodeURIComponent(location.href)%20+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

When I click on it it on my iPad it brings up the Evernote window that allows me to pick a notebook and I can clip either the whole page or a selection.

• 1 month later...

I just tried HGA13's solution and it worked just fine. I copied the javascript from: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/web_clipper.php, which is what HGA13 has. I initially had problems, however, as "pasting" into Safari's bookmark inserted some "%x" formatting codes...so if you try this make sure that what you paste in is actually simply text.

In the end, I copied it on my desktop, saved it as a text file and Dropboxed it over to my iPad where I reopened it in a text editor, copied it and pasted into a Safari bookmark called "Evernote". Presto! Now I have the Evernote javascript dialogue box open up on my iPad. It's not super fast, but it seems to work just fine.

Apple doesn't give us any way to install a clipper into the iPad Safari browser, so there's no easy way to get clipping to work on the device. Our Javascript-based "bookmarklet" web clipper mostly works, but it's not very easy to install it as a bookmark on the browser:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12712

Well, not quite. Seems that Road Runner has a way to automagically put a bookmarklet in the bookmarker, but I can't get the iPad version. Drag and drop won't work for me and I've ended up just ***** up the folder erasing and make room to make room. I'm extremely disappointed.

Can someone let me know at capwalker666@yahoo.com because I rarely get by here, just a note to tell me to visit, that it's fixed.

• Level 5*
Can someone let me know at capwalker666@yahoo.com because I rarely get by here, just a note to tell me to visit, that it's fixed.

I doubt that anyone is going to take up their time to notify you when it's not important enough for you to check back yourself, but you can subscribe to the thread by clicking on the Subscribe Topic link at the bottom of the page.

Apple doesn't give us any way to install a clipper into the iPad Safari browser, so there's no easy way to get clipping to work on the device. Our Javascript-based "bookmarklet" web clipper mostly works, but it's not very easy to install it as a bookmark on the browser:

I haven't been able to get even that installed! When I try to drag the bookmarklet to the menu, it won't let me drag. What is the process supposed to be. In short how do I get any web clipping? And how do I get support without paying for a subscription?

• Level 5*

You can open a support ticket as a free user. Premium users will get dealt with first but they will get to you. They work west coast business hours Monday-Friday.

They won't email you to tell you that some piece of functionality is available.

Did you follow the instructions in the thread you quoted? It sounds like you didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

a newbie too... For the iPhone I just hit he + button and email a page to evernote. I have my Evernote email address in my contacts. You can pop it into a folder and tag it with @ and # in the subject line apparently, but, for quickness, I like to pop it in the main folder and move it from there when I have the time. I'm a big fan of Instapaper too btw.

I do not work for Evernote. I had 300+ notes in Awesome Note, but just exported them to Evernote. Not sure I'll be back, but the passwording is better in Awesome Note, no questions. You should be able to Password folders in Evernote, rather than encrypt the contents of individual files IMHO.

Best of luck.

emmet

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand the issue as every page in safari can be manipulated using copy and paste standard functions?

highlight, drag, copy in safari open evernote create a new note and paste. granted it is not as the easy one step process on a Mac or Pc with the web clipper in the bar.

I am often puzzled that the iPad is a productivity killer compared to macs and pcs but I suppose the app developerS and apple get it one day.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to go into your preferences in your Evernote application on your computer and go to the section that says Clipping. There will be a box there that says, Use the Safari clipper plugin. Check that, restart Safari and then you should have a little elephant in the top of your Safara browser. You just highlight whatever you want to send to Evernote and either click on the little elephant or right click and select, Send to Evernote. It should send it into your computer Evernote. Then hit sync in Evernote and you should be able to edit the clipping. Then hit sync again and it should appear in all of your Evernotes. Hope that was a little more clear than mud. LOL I am loving Evenote and my ipad. Have spent the last few day searching for and loading recipes.

ETA: Not sure if there is a web clipper for the ipad. Maybe the Safari one works there too.

• 4 weeks later...

When I'm browsing on my iPad and want to copy info into Evernote, I just take a "snapshot" of the page (press the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time). The beauty of this method is that you can zoom into just the area on the page you want to save, or zoom out and get the whole page.

1. open Evernote,
  2. press "new note",
  3. press the photo icon on the top right (between the save button and microphone icon)
  4. choose "saved photos" (on mine, it's the top choice)
  5. touch the photo you want to insert
  6. and VOILA!

It comes in as a jpeg and is immediately searchable

Hello there, Ive succesfully installed the bookmarklet for webclipper in safari for the iPad. but I cant get it to clip a selection on the page, just the url, or the full page. Anyone know how to do this? Greets, jo

This is a weird hack, but I've found if I hit the Evernote bookmarklet, then close it, then highlight my selection, then hit the bookmarklet again, for some reason it works.

But the pad could be the perfect device for surfing and clipping -- it's too bad there are so many hurdles and it works so slowly.

• 8 months later...

On my iPad, I email the web page to EN. I have my EN email in my contacts with a number 1 in front of it so it pops right up. But I also cut and paste relevant parts of the web page right into the email! That gives me the title in the title field, URL in the first part of the body of the note, then the article. The downside: it doesn't place the URL in the EN URL field.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is how I do it.

I use the awesome Mercury browser on the Ipad, when I want to save a web page to peruse later on Evernote I use the share thingy next to the search bar and email the link to my Evnte email address. Then open Evernote, find the emailed link, open it and click the icon on the bottom right of the screen and there is a "clip to Evnte" option.

Now I have the web page which I can navigate, open links, etc. For later use.

I'm not sure this is what people is asking about here, but there you have it. Bye.

• 11 months later...

I used the email function to email directly to my Evernote and it worked great. Go to settings in Evernote choose general and then email. Copy and paste that email into your contacts. Then you can email the page link directly to your Evernote.

This option only allows you to send the whole article and you can't clip a summary or take picture like you can, but I assume you can modify it in Evernote later.

Attached is some tips I received in an email.

post-218045-0-77438100-1408806050_thumb.

Archived