(Archived) Feature request: Multiple account support

I am promoting the use of EverNote at work but this brings about a problem. I do not want to mingle my corporate and personal data. I want to maintain two seperate accounts and be able to switch them effortlessly on my Mac, Windows PC, iPhone, and iPad.

Support for this feature should be the same across all platforms if we are going to be able to push this forward.

I too would like to see a multiple account feature. I have a personal Ipad that would like to use to set up notes and information for a classroom setting being able to have students access to my classroom information but not my personal notes. The inability to have multiple accounts is limiting this type of situation.

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually kind of the wrong section of the forums for this topic, as we do support multiple account switching everywhere except the Mac.

In the Mac, Evernote is tied to your Mac Profile, and therefore to create another account with the Evernote client, you need to sign out of one Mac Profile and into another.

Someone has created the Evernote Account Switcher, which is a use-at-your-own-risk type of tool (some people swear by it) which will allow you to do what you wish on the Mac, however, we recommend that if you have multiple accounts, while you're on the Mac, you simply choose one to login to with the Evernote desktop client, and use Google Chrome to login to the other (as that will give you Drag/Drop access). Also, Evernote Web will be nearly indistinguishable from the desktop clients very soon in look and feel, so that will shorten the usability gap even more.

On all other clients, including the mobile devices, you can simply Sign Out of one account, then Sign In to another.

• 2 months later...
This is actually kind of the wrong section of the forums for this topic, as we do support multiple account switching everywhere except the Mac.

On all other clients, including the mobile devices, you can simply Sign Out of one account, then Sign In to another.

With due respect, I don't consider that meaningful multiple account support. I have this wish as well, I have a paid account and would like to set up a second paid account to use as a shared notebook with a few other people (I prefer not to use the shared notebook option, it's too limited). However if I have to continually log out of one account to log into another that's not a usable option for me.

Thanks

With all due respect, I don't consider that meaningful "multiple account support". I have this wish as well, I have a paid account and would like to set up a second paid account to use as a shared notebook with a few other people (I prefer not to use the shared notebook option, it's too limited). However if I have to continually log out of one account to log into another that's not a usable option for me.

Thanks

Also, Evernote Web will be nearly indistinguishable from the desktop clients very soon in look and feel, so that will shorten the usability gap even more.

I'm not sure how what you quoted is a response to what I said. If you are suggesting that I use a browser to access one account and the Client to access another, I'm sure that works for some people just fine, but my previous post still applies. To me that's a workaround, not meaningful multiple account support. If shared notebooks could work identically to regular notebooks, that would also be a great option. But when I tested that the other day it did not appear that they could show/support stacked notebooks. That pretty much negates its use, if a person is stacking the notebooks they want to share that is what provides all of the context, and they need the people they are sharing them with to be able to see those stacks (assuming the sharer wants that of course), not just see the notebooks. Feel free to correct me if it is possible for people to see the stacks on notebooks that have been shared with them.

I'm not sure how what you quoted is a response to what I said. If you are suggesting that I use a browser to access one account and the Client to access another, I'm sure that works for some people just fine, but my previous post still applies. To me that's a workaround, not meaningful multiple account support.

I guess sometimes, you just have to accept that things aren't going to work the way you think they should. (shrug) Personally, it seems MUCH easier to use a desktop client for one account while using the browser for another, rather than having to log out & back into Evernote for the proper account.

But when I tested that the other day it did not appear that they could show/support stacked notebooks. That pretty much negates its use, if a person is stacking the notebooks they want to share that is what provides all of the context, and they need the people they are sharing them with to be able to see those stacks (assuming the sharer wants that of course), not just see the notebooks. Feel free to correct me if it is possible for people to see the stacks on notebooks that have been shared with them.
Also, Evernote Web will be nearly indistinguishable from the desktop clients very soon in look and feel, so that will shorten the usability gap even more.

And, FWIW, with the new beta version, yes, stacks exist in the web client. Feel free to check it out by switching. Toggle is in upper right portion of the screen. And since stacks on notebooks shared TO you, are not implemented on the desktop client (at least that I can see on the Windows client) , that means the new web client is on par with the desktop client, in that respect.

• 1 month later...
I guess sometimes, you just have to accept that things aren't going to work the way you think they should. (shrug) Personally, it seems MUCH easier to use a desktop client for one account while using the browser for another, rather than having to log out & back into Evernote for the proper account.

As usual you are just telling people how they should just accept things instead of listening to people and trying to understand that their needs might be such that they can't just use what you think represents an easy solution.

I'd like to use EN for our business but businesses have unique needs and I can't just tell my employees "hey just use the client for this and the web interface for this", it actually needs to be seamless. Of course now you can tell me how EN isn't really for business and how it's not meant to be used that way. But in fact with multiple account support it would actually work quite well for us.

And, FWIW, with the new beta version, yes, stacks exist in the web client. Feel free to check it out by switching. Toggle is in upper right portion of the screen. And since stacks on notebooks shared TO you, are not implemented on the desktop client (at least that I can see on the Windows client) , that means the new web client is on par with the desktop client, in that respect.

Please reread what I said, the issue has nothing to do with whether stacks can be viewed in the web client. EN does not support the sharing of stacks. Only individual notebooks can be shared. This makes it worthless for us because if I want to share (3) different stacks of (10) notebooks, the user they are being shared with only sees all 30 notebooks, so ALL hierarchical context is lost. That is why it would be nice to have multiple account support, because then that limitation could be overcome. Then I could just buy another paid account and make it a shared account. Then everyone could see all the notebooks in their proper context. It would be very cool because we could have a company wide shared EN account for our small office. And people could have their own personal EN and the shared company EN. But that is only possible with multiple account support.

So we have a situation here where we have one limitation (can't share stacks), there's a workaround (create a second dedicated account for sharing), but the workaround won't work either because there is not multiple account support.

• 3 months later...

Archived