(Archived) Evernote for Android v. 2.6 Alpha 1

Philip Constantinou

Hey folks -

We're really excited about the next big release of the Android client. We've still got a few more updates coming but we think 2.6 Alpha 1 already has so much good stuff in it we wanted to get your feedback.

Here's the list:

Sync performance: We've optimized the sync and caching behavior. Initial syncs can run up to 6 times faster. We're optimized the networking and database performance so notes and thumbnails should appear fasters too. Loading notes repeatedly should also perform better.

Notebook Stacks: we've redesigned the Notebooks view to include Notebook Stacks. We've also added features like enable / disable offline sync, and viewing notebook sizes right into the list. If you tap on a Stack then you'll see all the notes contained within the notebooks in the stack. You can create stacks from the Mac or Windows clients.

Snippets: We've got a new way of looking at notes which is a big improvement for folks who make text notes. In this view, called snippets, we display an initial excerpt of the text of a note. If the note has text and images you'll see a bit of both. Snippet text will only appear for notes where the text content is downloaded (eg. notes you've viewed or created the note on the device, or the note is within offline an notebook). You can switch between snippet view and the other views (list, mixed and thumbnail) by pressing the Display Options button from the note list.

Rich text editing: This still needs a bit more polish but we've been working on tools to allow you to edit rich text notes including notes with styles and embedded images. This isn't a WYSIWYG editor, but it's a big step forward from being limited to copy and append.

Disable background sync: To conserve battery we'll disable background sync if you don't launch Evernote or create new notes for 7 consecrative days. Relaunching Evernote will re-enable sync. This should help save your battery if you're an infrequent user.

Download the preview now at:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Or check for updates.

[EDIT] Hey folks -- we've changed the version number -- instead of calling this release 3.0 we're going to call it 2.6 and push out a release a little sooner. My apologies for any confusion this causes.

Working great!

On my desktop Mac I can drag tags onto each other and form "tag stacks". However, on my android device the "stacks" are not shown, this greatly increases the clutter when browsing through the tags. Any chance this will be added in 3.0?

Still there is no fit to screen option for pictures. I just cant view my notes with photos because its too big and I cant zoom it out to fit the screen. Damn...

If If the 3.0 version will not have this option I will not use Evernote.

Still there is no fit to screen option for pictures. I just cant view my notes with photos because its too big and I cant zoom it out to fit the screen. Damn...

Thanks for the feedback. We'll work on that. It seems to be an intermittent problem -- we'll get it fixed.

Second that (it's there, but it doesn't work and has never worked....)

Great news!

I'm experiencing a little weirdness when editing rich text notes, though, specifically note elements that contain the ToDo checkbox. After editing, the note element retains the checkbox, but also has a visible " " code at the beginning of the text. And in one experiment, the element was duplicated, leaving me with both the original element and an edited one ... with the edited version again including a visible " ".

Great news!

I'm experiencing a little weirdness when editing rich text notes, though, specifically note elements that contain the ToDo checkbox. After editing, the note element retains the checkbox, but also has a visible " " code at the beginning of the text. And in one experiment, the element was duplicated, leaving me with both the original element and an edited one ... with the edited version again including a visible " ".

Thanks for the feedback.

Disable background sync: To conserve battery we'll disable background sync if you don't launch Evernote or create new notes for 7 consecutive days. Relaunching Evernote will re-enable sync. This should help save your battery if you're an infrequent user.

Suggestion - could you make this a sync option (like a checkbox)? Personally I haven't seen any battery issues with it syncing automatically. I realize that I can just open the app, but there are times where I will update notes from one of my computers and not touch the phone for several days...I'd hate to be in a bad reception spot and need that shopping list or whatever and not be able to get it because I hadn't opened the app in 7 days.

Suggestion - could you make this a sync option (like a checkbox)? Personally I haven't seen any battery issues with it syncing automatically. I realize that I can just open the app, but there are times where I will update notes from one of my computers and not touch the phone for several days...I'd hate to be in a bad reception spot and need that shopping list or whatever and not be able to get it because I hadn't opened the app in 7 days.

Agreed.

Disable background sync: To conserve battery we'll disable background sync if you don't launch Evernote or create new notes for 7 consecutive days. Relaunching Evernote will re-enable sync. This should help save your battery if you're an infrequent user.

If you create a note on another device, your device will continue to sync. Sync will only automatically disable if there's no account activity at all.

I thought that after brilliant version 2 the pace of development would slow down. Glad I was proved wrong..... This version again brings great improvements. The snippets view is especially useful.

In my brief testing I experienced no issues...

Does Evernote sync changes made to attachments, i.e. what happen if a pdf or doc file attached to a note is opened and edited on a mobile?

No, this isn't currently supported. If you open a PDF from a note in Evernote on Android, it is effectively "read only" in the viewing application.

I really like the new feature and can accept that we can modify a single "line" at a time. What appear to be missing is that I haven't find a way to add a line in the middle of a note as there is no button appearing on the keyboard when we edit a line. Am I missing something, or there is no way to add a line in the middle of a note?

I am currently facing a problem on a test pages that contains the lyrics of a song. The song contains several small sentence and in edit mode, each of them can be edited individually, which is fine. But when I select a line, do a change to one of them and record the change on the line (not save the note yet), the note will appear as "double line" and when I click on a line to edit it, it won't select the whole line as before, something the line is truncate. It seems to have problems with the single quote character (') as what appear before is interpreted as a single line, as well as what follow it.

I can easily reproduce as I haven't change the note where I see the problem.

The Widget dissapears (I keep the application on the SD card, which is desiderable, whatsoever)

Platform: Nexus One /Froyo

Searches on non-strictly plain texts don't highlight words properly yet (bug already reported to the staff)

The Widget dissapears (I keep the application on the SD card, which is desiderable, whatsoever)

Platform: Nexus One /Froyo

This is a limitation of the Android OS. If you put an application onto the SD card, you can never use a widget from that app. So if you want to use Evernote's desktop widget, you need to keep the app on the main device storage.

From http://developer.android.com/guide/appe ... ation.html :

"Your App Widget will be removed from the home screen. When external storage is remounted, your App Widget will not be available for the user to select until the system resets the home application (usually not until a system reboot)."

Glitches when adding Cyrillic tags. When either adding cyrillic tag while entering new note or while editing existing note or while viewing note list through presshold menu. I enter tag and it appears in tag enter list but is not saved actually.

Assigning english tags works as it should.

I really like the new feature and can accept that we can modify a single "line" at a time. What appear to be missing is that I haven't find a way to add a line in the middle of a note as there is no button appearing on the keyboard when we edit a line. Am I missing something, or there is no way to add a line in the middle of a note?

I am currently facing a problem on a test pages that contains the lyrics of a song. The song contains several small sentence and in edit mode, each of them can be edited individually, which is fine. But when I select a line, do a change to one of them and record the change on the line (not save the note yet), the note will appear as "double line" and when I click on a line to edit it, it won't select the whole line as before, something the line is truncate. It seems to have problems with the single quote character (') as what appear before is interpreted as a single line, as well as what follow it.

I can easily reproduce as I haven't change the note where I see the problem.

We have fixed some of RTE problems and would release in next beta update.

Archived