Why can't I insert text inbetween two images in a note?

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

This is an annoying issue that has been around for a while.  I often clip images and like to array them together in one note.  However, if I want to insert text between the images I can't seem to figure out how to separate the images.  If I insert one image, add text below it and then insert the second image it will work.  But if I try to squeeze this text between the images it doesn't work.

image.png.5c3d62eba558d8136b17ff18ef5d89e1.png

image.png

• Level 5

Sure you can.

Select the first picture, it will have a blue outline.

Now hit Enter.
This will not remove the selected image. Instead it will create an empty line of text right below it. The cursor will be placed there.

Done.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Now hit Enter.
This will not remove the selected image. Instead it will create an empty line of text right below it. The cursor will be placed there.

Unfortunately this  again breaks established usage patterns. 

In every other app (including Legacy) selecting something and then hitting Enter would delete the selected item and replace it with a 'Enter' (CR).

EDIT: I use this very often and V10 is not consistent, sometimes it works as @PinkElephant described, sometimes the selected image disappears and is in fact replaced by the CR (Enter).  Sio I tend to not use it and try and insert a line before I paste or write something between images.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually it always works for me - I never had a picture deleted. If it happens, use the Undo button at the top of the page to get the picture back (or note history).

It is quite obvious that somehow you ned to be able to insert a line of text between 2 pictures. If they would insert a blank line of text automatically, we would have the next users here who say they just want the pictures in a row, thank you.

You can always use the (UI conforming) method to insert lines of text below all pictures lined up, and move the pictures manually. This works as well, if you claim there must be a UI conforming way to do the trick.

But the alternative method I posted is much faster, isn't it ? So why the mimimi about it - is it a Pawlow' reflex ?

16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So why the mimimi about it - is it a Pawlow' reflex ?

Obviously it breaks your workflow if something works inconsistently, especially if this is something you use all the time.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You have a better idea ?

I don't understand your question. This worked flawlessly for years until Legacy was discontinued. 

My 'better idea would be to make it behave as it did before and as any other Mac or Windows app behaves. If this is not possible, at least make it behave consistently.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Text and pictures are independent objects. It works as designed.

The legacy part of the answer is plain nostalgia. It never was a blueprint for the new app - which is a blessing, taking the many inconsistencies of the old clients. One could expect 4 different ways of handling the same operation back then.

• Like 1

Works as designed. No issues here. Image and text all day long in my notes. Glad the OP found a solution.

Getting tiresome... OP says I have a problem... PE says here a solution... OP says thank you for your solution and then the same usernames turn up to moan, moan and moan.

Many, many, many folk left EN 'cos of Legacy pants software which is why they nearly went bust and sold the company.

Lets be positive and help people.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 3:50 PM, Dave Green said:

Another approach is to add one or more blank lines after the second image, and then drag the second image below at least one of those lines.

This does not work for me.

• Level 5

From what’s reported it seems selecting a picture (blue outline shows) and hitting Enter doesn’t work on the Android client any more.

Cant check this, I don‘t use Android.

On iOS it still works and inserts a line of text after the image.

Posted (edited)

Here is another related issue:

How do you take 2 small images that are sitting on top of one another and insert some explanatory text on the right side of each image?  Right now when I click on the right side of either image, the cursor just appears underneath the images.  No matter how small the images are I can't seem to get text to appear next to them instead of under them.

image.png.f36c5f1d400f1ec5db54a229ed1ef376.png

image.png

Edited by idoc
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Insert a table, 2 columns. Put the pictures into one column. The width of the column will automatically resize the picture. Use the second column to write the text beside the pictures.

Done.

44 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Insert a table, 2 columns. Put the pictures into one column. The width of the column will automatically resize the picture. Use the second column to write the text beside the pictures.

Done.

image.png.6bfa01b2327cf49dbbfe8708ae63f9ec.png

• Haha 1

Great idea! 

What do you do if you have 30 pictures you want to upload? 

Taking them and adding them one by one is a time-consuming ordeal this way (but the best solution so far, thanks again!)

• Level 5

Upload them - who needs text between pics …

The easiest way is to insert a table first. Then tap into the table cell, use a flash command or the blue + menu to insert the picture.

Add table cells and repeat.

I found the use of a table the only reasonably usable way to organize several pictures in a note. Main reason is that the column width is used to resize the picture, without changing resolution 

This is not possible through other methods.

In general EN is not build to organize a lot of pictures 

• Like 1

well, I do need that ;)

My workflow would be optimized with a bulk upload and then adding some sentences under each image as I go through them. 

But it appears that it cant be like that, unfortunately - but thank you so much for all your effort, it's highly appreciated! 

On 8/16/2024 at 2:40 PM, FirstNick said:

What do you do if you have 30 pictures you want to upload? 

Taking them and adding them one by one is a time-consuming ordeal this way (but the best solution so far, thanks again!)

Upload all your images in one go, click the image, hit enter and a line appear underneath between the images and you can type in text. Just tested it in Windows.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Upload all your images in one go, click the image, hit enter and a line appear underneath between the images and you can type in text. Just tested it in Windows.

We seem to have a difference between clients. From what I can tell, all clients work like this - but other users report in the Android client this deletes the picture instead.

Can’t check myself - I don’t use Android.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

in the Android client this deletes the picture instead.

Exactly

Edit: that's how every other app I know behaves (apart from V10), mark something and hit enter and it is replaced.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Feitz said:

Exactly

Edit: that's how every other app I know behaves (apart from V10), mark something and hit enter and it is replaced.

… which would make it impossible to insert a line of text after an image. So it makes sense how it works, at least for me in my Android (Google) starved bubble.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

... which would make it impossible to insert a line of text after an image.

Yep. EN treats embedded images other than commonly used text editors that allow to embed images (like Word...)

Normal behavior should be, to

• have a text cursor that allows to be placed just before or just behind an image
  • treat an image like a character-item
  • select an image
    • by
      • placing the text cursor before the image and type Shift-Right-Arrow until the selected text portion covers the image
    • or
      • click directly on the image
  • typing anything on a selected image
    • insert the characters just before the image
  • unselect an image simply by moving the text cursor

EN-behavior is

• have a text cursor (OK)
  • treat an image like something bound to special text section with space above an below (fail)
    • with one exeption: It's possible sometimes to have some images (but no text) bundled within the special text section
  • but along with moving this cursor over an image the image is directly selected (big fail)
    • nobody wants to select anything with explicit select mechanis like "click on an object"  or "Shift-Arrow" keys.
  • typing Return on a selected image
    • placed the text cursor on a new line just behind the image (fail)
  • typing any characters on a selected image
    • deletes the image (BIG fail)
  • unselect an image simply by moving the text cursor (OK)

It's a pity that EN has to use a Electron-plugin to implement thier text editor. So it won't be easy to change this behavior is short time. But it would be fine to get a "OK, we see the problem(s) and we're working on it" - we (users) learn(ed) to be patient... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2