(Archived) free or premium for Livescribe Integration??

So originally I sent a email into EN support asking a few questions about integration between EN and Livescribe. However, I am at 10 days now without a reply or response from Evernote so figured I would turn to the community here for some help. I recently received a Livescribe Echo pen that I will be using in earnest here starting next week. I am not sure if these questions would be better directed to Livescribe, but I am just planning on using the Livescribe desktop app as a sync portal to get my notes into EN - no sense to me to have notes in two places to look.

-It is my understanding that pages/notes synced to EN from the Livescribe desktop are sent over as images, this would mean that even free accounts have OCR done on them? I want to make sure I understand that as it will become important as I use my Echo more.

-Is it possible to add a uploaded page from LS directly to a EN notebook and tag it? Am I able to use the email subject formatting while syncing over the EN desktop app? Ok so this is not a free/premium question, but more of a is it possible.

-I am trying to find out what benefits a premium account to provide, if it would provide any, to someone like me. I am fine with the free account for now - are there any added benefits that directly impact the integration between EN and Livescribe? This would be benefits in addition to the upload limits, I understand that I might hit those and need to upgrade because of that. Is there anything else though?

Thanks for any input provided here!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you read this thread for some more insight:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=19488&start=0&hilit=livescribe

but I am just planning on using the Livescribe desktop app as a sync portal to get my notes into EN - no sense to me to have notes in two places to look.

Just to clarify, you will not have the "tap to hear" feature that is Livescribe's niche. (Discussed in thread I posted above.) For my use case, I normally don't need that. Instead, I tend to use EN as a repository for the audio file along with a screen cap of what I wrote.

-It is my understanding that pages/notes synced to EN from the Livescribe desktop are sent over as images, this would mean that even free accounts have OCR done on them?

Yes.

-Is it possible to add a uploaded page from LS directly to a EN notebook and tag it?

No. The notes (audio is one note & written page is sent as another - I think this is m) are sent to your default notebook.

From what I can see, the upload limits (including note size limits) are the only advantage a premium account offers over a free account, in this case.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you read this thread for some more insight:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=19488&start=0&hilit=livescribe

Just to clarify, you will not have the "tap to hear" feature that is Livescribe's niche. (Discussed in thread I posted above.) For my use case, I normally don't need that. Instead, I tend to use EN as a repository for the audio file along with a screen cap of what I wrote.

Yea, the tap to hear if I need it I understand I will need to do in the LS desktop app. Not sure how much of that I will need or use. Just really looking forward to the idea of having all notes digitized and getting rid of some noteboook clutter!

No. The notes (audio is one note & written page is sent as another - I think this is m) are sent to your default notebook.

From what I can see, the upload limits (including note size limits) are the only advantage a premium account offers over a free account, in this case.

Thanks - that I what I figured would be the advantage, but wanted to make sure I did not miss anything. Hopefully at some point in the future there can be tighter integration between the two. It would be nice to upload to something besides the default notebook and save time from resorting.

Hopefully at some point in the future there can be tighter integration between the two. It would be nice to upload to something besides the default notebook and save time from resorting.

Yeah, I'm interested in how this will progress. At this point, most of my written notes are typically less than a page while the audio may be 60-90 minutes or longer. IE, when I take a family member to the doctor or the ER, I have the pen recording most of the time (b/c I think it may freak the docs out to know they are being recorded so i just start it & leave it on rather than pause/stop/start/etc.) & I think ER is Latin for "kiss at least three hours of your day goodby". At this point, when selecting only one session out of a page of several, you do only get the audio for that session. But the written part is still the entire page. Plus, the aac file (from the Livescribe app) is smaller than the wmv file that's created when using the LS/EN integration. One audio clip is 452 kb in aac format but sent to EN as a 7.9 mb wav file. So I still use my manual system of taking a screen cap of the written part (from the LS desktop) and adding the aac file to the same note.

I believe that Livescribe is working to provide better compression on their audio files so that they will fit well into notes.

Unless they end up being able to attach the audio to the note, instead of creating two separate notes, there is no sense in sending the audio to Evernote if the audio goes with a handwritten note.

This is one integration though it would be nice to see some extra collaboration between EN and LS (maybe there already is?) - LS could sure use some sort of cloud based app and Evernote provides just that. I understand though that each company has a different focus and each has their core competencies, just saying it would be pretty nice to see deeper and more integration between the two services. And I know this can be said about many different apps/integrations from various Evernote users depending on what other products they might use and how they use Evernote. This is just my little wish item 8)

They made the decision to put the audio and image in separate notes, but I'm not sure about the reasons for that. We've heard from various users that they'd prefer to have them merged into a single note instead, so we've passed that feedback along to Livescribe.

Thanks

Archived