(Archived) Why aren't parent tags inherited by subtags?

Notaker

Idea

I haven't used subtags much before, but I always thought the ability to create subtags was neat — because I assumed that when I tagged a note with a subtag, it was also tagged with all the parent tags. E.g. if I have a tag "Work" with a subtag "Project1", I would expect all notes tagged with "Project1" to show up when I view everything tagged "Work". I was baffled when I found out that this was not the case.

After a bit of searching I found one thread in the Windows forum that requests this as a feature.

Can anyone see any reason why this was not implemented in the first place?

And, when this is not the case, what is the point of subtags?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Why?

Possibly to maintain search speed and avoid the computer-code clutter needed to support multiple mobile systems and operating systems.

What is the point?

Try working with a vertical column of 300 tags. The Parent / Child allows for a more manageable system

Thank for your replies!

The thread BurgersNFries link to gives a good answer to my question. (I searched for "subtag", which is probably why I didn't find this and many other threads.) I still think it would be good to have this as an option in preferences, but at least I now have an easier time making my peace with it :)

Archived