Mobile version taking too long to update it's database

The last time I opened Evernote on Android (Pixel 5a) it said I'd need internet connectivity while it upgraded the next time I opened it.  It has been on the spinning Evernote icon screen showing 20% for over 15 hours now. How long should it take with 35,000 notes?  Been a customer for over 10 years and never seen this behavior before.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Had the same. Cleared app data and cache and reinstalled the app. Logged in and everything seemed fine. When you make a fresh install nothing is on the device that needs to be converted, right ? But no. Next start of app comes up with that "need internet to update message" again und now all I get is the starting screen but no access to any note. Google Pixel 7 Pro.

BTW: The login process is also a disaster. I use 2FA. You enter Username + Passwort and than you are prompted to enter second factor which I have in Google Authenticator. When I switch to Authetnicator to get the 2FA Code and switch back to Evernote App the Login reloads and you have to re-enter Username+Password. When you have done this the 2FA Code has expired.

• Like 2

I have been having that problem since 10.95.2 update, unable to use.

I just this morning cleared data, deleted & reinstalled EN on Pixel-7-Pro.  This time I got 10.96.1 and after brief "syncing", all is good.

5 hours ago, gadget said:

You enter Username + Passwort and than you are prompted to enter second factor which I have in Google Authenticator. When I switch to Authetnicator to get the 2FA Code and switch back to Evernote App the Login reloads and you have to re-enter Username+Password. When you have done this the 2FA Code has expired.

Yes, I found this about a week ago.  It was kind of comedic.  Fortunately, when I set up Google Authenticator for Evernote, I set up my tablet and a second phone at the same time so they all will generate authenticator codes I can use with Evernote.  The workaround I discovered was to call the 2FA code up on my alternate device and enter it on my phone. (There are YouTube videos on setting up Google Authenticator on more than one device so you can do this.)

Alternatively, I imagine one could use the "emergency" codes that authenticator gives during the setup process.  Of course, this means that you have to have saved those codes and remember where you put them.  I myself >might< be able to find them if I really need to,

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Nobody needs to use Google Authenticator.

EN insists to only name this app, but in fact ANY authenticator app that produces OTP codes will do.

Personally I use Authy, which is easy to setup on different devices. There are many others, and you can stick to the one you already use, like MS Authenticator or most password managers.

On 7/11/2024 at 3:18 PM, tveit said:

I have been having that problem since 10.95.2 update, unable to use.

I just this morning cleared data, deleted & reinstalled EN on Pixel-7-Pro.  This time I got 10.96.1 and after brief "syncing", all is good.

Did just the same yesterday evening again. This helped briefly but today I have added just one note (photo of an invoice) on the android  app and have the circling again, stuck at 25% and so unable to use the app even when back in wifi coverage. Will try to reinstall later when I am near a second device to generate the 2FA Code thanks to the borked login process. What a mess.

• Like 2

Having the same login problem on a Galaxy S23. When I finally am able to login I get "To improve Evernote's performance, the app has to undergo an optimization process.' 20+ hours later it's still not finished. Ridiculous lack of testing here is leading to breaking changes from minor version updates. Very disappointing. 

image.thumb.png.09cac9357810e68d300c5ad25d1d49df.png

• Like 2
hace 46 minutos, matthieudesroches dijo:

I have the same problem since 3 days now... I just can't open the Evernote app on my Android Samsung Galaxy S22. 

It loads forever but never open (see image). 

Anyone with this same issue?

evernote bug.jpg

Same problem since fryday. 

Any solution? 

• Like 1

Same problem. Took over a day for the "optimization process" to finish. Forcing the EN app to close, or power-cycling the phones didn't seem to help. Logging out and logging back in didn't seem to help. Leaving my Android phones plugged in, disabling the various power saving features seemed to help the optimization process go more quickly. Alas, that isn't the end of this story! After optimization, on one phone I have, somehow, zero notebooks but 500 notes. On another phone I  have 1 notebook and 9 notes. In reality, and fortunately on the Windows and Web client, I have 4 notebooks and 5597 notes.

Yet another Evernote quality control fail.

Update: I've lost track of how many times I've logged out and logged back in on various phones, but at least some of the time, it seems to be working in that it gets the app to display the correct count of notes and notebooks. There is obviously a multi-factor thing in effect here. It isn't simply a matter of logging out and logging back in. It's something more complicated. You have to try various things, including:

• disrupting your whole phone-life workflow to reconfigure your phone to run all the time;
  • painful trial-and-error about how long to wait before re-installing the app;
  • plenty of logging in and out;

...until you find the "magic" combination of steps that finally tricks the app into working. By then you've tried so many things it is impossible to know exactly what you did that worked, and besides, the next time the app breaks it will be a different set of magic steps.

The app is still painfully slow to use. A new wrinkle: some controls respond to the first touch, others are sluggish and require a touch-and-wait approach, or a touch, wait, give up and touch again, control finally responds but it processes both touches and mucks things up.

Look, Evernote, I know apps are hard, I'm willing to pay, be patient waiting for fixes, and accept that certain bugs won't be fixed but in return for that I expect to see net progress, net meaning the rate of fixes, however, slow, must exceed the rate of things that break. Ridiculous. And no, EN fanbois and fangirrrls, my expectations are not unreasonable. EN app used to have net improvement (5+ years ago, but it did). All the paid apps I can think of have a clear, net positive rate of improvement today.

Edited by John in Michigan USA
Update
  • Like 1

Evernote is now fully disabled on my Pixel 7. I'm a customer since 2008.

The 'optimisation' either makes an attempt and freezes around 94% (even when left overnight), or the app just shows loading screen. After a while a link appears, "Show Logs". I won't attach output directly here since I don't know if there are keys in there.

If I clear cache, storage - app starts up, asks for auth, but then requires the 'optimisation' (despite retrieving fresh from the server) which fails in the same way.

Uninstall, reinstall, same behavior.

The web client refuses to run on mobile, "Your current browser configuration is blocking Evernote from opening" on stock Android Chrome. So no workaround.