Disaster: Notes without sorting function!!! Please undo this - IMMEDIATELY!!!

Dee1967

Idea

Sorry, but it's a disaster: The notes have to be sorted by reminder date, which can also be done on the Evernote iPhone app. Otherwise, Evernote is worthless to me because I can no longer use it decentrally. Please change this again immediately, thank you!

• Like 2

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  No need to be sorry,  any changes in the app are not your fault.  We're mainly other users here so not sure what's happening with reminders,  which seem to have been integrated with the Tasks,  Events and Calendar features.  Evernote's project lead published something earlier this year where he said something like "no-one uses Reminders" but given the number of complaints we're seeing,  that wasn't very accurate. 

For the moment we're advising everyone to switch to use Tasks rather than reminders - they're more flexible,  can be sorted in various ways,  and -if you're on one of the latest Evernote versions- you should be able to set your preferences to generate several reminders automatically for each task created.

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003792141-Tasks-Overview for more...

Thanks for the comment. But notes are not always tasks. And yet a reminder is necessary. It is also not understandable why you can filter notes by reminders, but this filtering is not sorted chronologically by date (the most urgent thing at the top!). For a decentralized way of working, it is essential that the sort also works in the app and not just on the desktop. Not every note makes sense to be converted/added to a task, especially since the effort involved is huge because in addition to the note title, a task title also has to be set - everything twice. It doesn't work like that at all. PLEASE TURN OFF SORTING BY MEMORIES OR AT LEAST MAKE FILTERING BY MEMORIES SENSE. THIS IS NOTHING!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Dee1967 said:

Not every note makes sense to be converted/added to a task

Tasks are added to notes by using the "+" or "/" feature,  or can be stand-alone tasks created with one click like a new note.  If not applied to a specific note,  all tasks are grouped in one default "To do" note.  The Tasks option in the sidebar will show you all tasks whether or not connect to a note,  and can be sorted by various options including due date.

If that's not acceptable to you I'd suggest you follow the Submit a Request link at the bottom of the link I gave above - as I said,  we're mainly users:  you need to ta;l to Evernote direct.

Thanks, this is all clear to me, but it doesn't solve my problem. With hundreds of notes with reminders all over the place, I can't make a task out of it now. The time required for this would be incredible. It is absolutely incomprehensible that notes that usefully have a reminder cannot be sorted. This must work equally on all tools - including mobile - otherwise Evernote is worthless to me. Evernote wants to be an organizational app, so this feature is mandatory. And as I said, a filter that currently displays notes with reminders but does not sort them in a meaningful way is also absolutely incomprehensible and unusable. Sorry. I guess I actually have to look into alternatives now and advise friends against Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If you have so many reminders, use the desktop app (or the web client) to review them.

There you can still show and sort them.

I don't agree with EN to remove the reminders function from mobile (I use reminders as well, but not as extensively as you). But if you rely on them, use what's there.

Send your opinion about the removal at feedback@evernote.com

Explain why you use them instead of tasks, and why you need the functionality on mobile as well.

• Confused 1

Thank you for your feedback. It's simply about the amount of notes with memories that have been created over the years. You can't just leave out this function on your mobile from one day to the next. It also makes no sense, as long as a note has a reminder date, a sorting function based on urgency is mandatory. The current filtering for memories on the mobile is also absolutely useless if it cannot be displayed in chronological order - this is absolutely incomprehensible. Sorting/prioritizing only on the desktop also calls into question the entire decentralized, cross-device functionality of Evernote and its usefulness in general. I simply expect Evernote to have the same functionality everywhere, be it on the desktop or on mobile. If this is not possible, Evernote is simply useless in today's world and Evernote loses its status as one of the leading organizational tools.

• Like 1