Opening notes while one is already open

Bob R

Idea

With a note already open, I want to search and open a second (or multiple) notes and have all in separate windows at the same time.

In this example below, a search on the word "brian", produces a GO TO list below.  But when I right-click on any note name in the GO TO list, I DON'T get the option to open that note in a new window... I only get the options in the pop-out below.

BUT, if the second note is already in the side frame (because it's recent or a shortcut note), then I CAN right-click it and get the option to open it in a new window.

So my suggestion is to be able to right-click the selected note in the GO TO list and have it provide the same option to open it in a new window.

thx

br

image.png.621c9833849b51ea6d234d58942feb66.png

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You can open a ton of notes in their own window, with a simple double click - each note only once.

To open it it must be listed in a notes list, from a general view or from a search. What you show is not a search, but only a list of suggestions.

Hit enter to execute the search, then you can open the notes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bob R said:

So my suggestion is to be able to right-click the selected note in the GO TO list and have it provide the same option to open it in a new window.

I think this suggestion would be useful. Personally I rarely use the "go to" list but prefer to get the full search results because I normally want to search on more than just the title and I'm not a fan of the "no note list" view that you get if you follow a suggestion. If @PinkElephant's suggestion gives you to many results you could limit your search to titles only using

intitle:"My favourite note"

However, I doubt whether that is any more convenient than opening the note in it's own window using the three dots menu. I wish there was a keyboard shortcut to open a note in it's own window when there is no note list, although personally I use AutoHotKey to give me a shortcut.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can open a ton of notes in their own window, with a simple double click - each note only once.

To open it it must be listed in a notes list, from a general view or from a search. What you show is not a search, but only a list of suggestions.

Hit enter to execute the search, then you can open the notes.

Thanks @PinkElephant - I like that option, but when I do a search and get the list of search results, the note I had open (the current note) gets replaced.  I find myself using the 3-dots to open my current note in a new window first, then doing a search... as to not lose my current note.

• Level 5

Open the current note in it’s own window before you go searchin‘ ….

The list you are referring to is search suggestions. It will change itself with every character you type. It is not meant to be preserved to open a series of notes from it. It‘s fluid and not meant to deliver stable search results. These are generated when the search is performed, after hitting the Enter-key.

• Like 1