What are Notebook Stacks for?

I used to use notebook stacks to narrow searches, to find something in related notebooks. They have now taken that away, it's either one specific notebook or all of them  So what can you do with them now? 

I am amazed at how much functionality they have removed. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Stacks are,  and always have been,  one way to segregate notes visually.  Stacks contain notebooks,  which contain notes,  which contain pretty much anything you want that will fit into 200MB. 

It so happened at one stage that searching for a term including a specific "stack:name" would only return results from that stack.  Whether that was a planned step or a happy accident of coding is unknown.  That - along with many other things - has changed,  so now you search for a term and filter for a stack if you need to via "located in".

I have several stacks including ones for projects where I want all the related notes in one place.  and another for notes I have shared with others - mainly so that I don't lose them or accidentally delete something that someone else still needs.

You can use or not use stacks in any way that you want - IMHO that's one of the joys of Evernote.  It's pretty much a blank slate within which you can use any system you wish.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In addition: Stacks are a way to set up an archive area. Move notebooks of closed projects, old journeys or similar into their own stack, for example called „archive“.

By using the expression -stack:archive you can exclude this content from searches.

Similar is a use with 2 stacks, one for Business and one for Private notebooks, among others. -stack:Business would allow to search excluding all business related content, likewise -stack:Private excludes all private notes. If you have only these 2 stacks, and all notebooks inside of each, the same can be achieved by positive search stack:stackable as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, gozzilla78 said:

has the article about Evernote's system limitations been removed?

If you're referring to the page which listed the features of each different account level,  then yes - I'd imagine here were quite a few changes to be made...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you're referring to the page which listed the features of each different account level,  then yes - I'd imagine here were quite a few changes to be made...

Thanks for chiming in. I meant the limits of the system, like maximum number of tags, maximum number of notebooks, maximum number of notebooks in a stack, etc.

On 6/9/2024 at 10:00 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Stacks are,  and always have been,  one way to segregate notes visually.  Stacks contain notebooks,  which contain notes,  which contain pretty much anything you want that will fit into 200MB. 

It so happened at one stage that searching for a term including a specific "stack:name" would only return results from that stack.  Whether that was a planned step or a happy accident of coding is unknown.  That - along with many other things - has changed,  so now you search for a term and filter for a stack if you need to via "located in".

I have several stacks including ones for projects where I want all the related notes in one place.  and another for notes I have shared with others - mainly so that I don't lose them or accidentally delete something that someone else still needs.

You can use or not use stacks in any way that you want - IMHO that's one of the joys of Evernote.  It's pretty much a blank slate within which you can use any system you wish.

So users have to adapt to the code?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dvgibson said:

? Apps work in certain ways and users either adapt their approach to take advantage of those processes,  or find a different app that suits them better.  We're always able to send suggestions to Evernote to add features or options,  but what you see is all their is.  Unless the company makes a commitment to offer a specific access,  they're under no obligation to maintain it regardless of future changes - and in this case the facility to limit searches still exists;  the manner in which you do so is just different.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, dvgibson said:

Yes, exactly. You have to use a software as it is designed.

If it is well designed (as in my opinion EN is well designed), the way the app is leading you is beneficial to achieve results and be productive.

If it is not what you are looking for, it is up to you to notice your mistake in choosing the wrong software, and correct your error.

8 hours ago, dvgibson said:

No the app is a sentient thing and must adapt itself to each users needs as it is all powerful. Evernote is made for YOU!

Just to be clear I'm completely kidding, I'm just genuinely surprised someone would ask this question. It's somewhat unreasonable. Software isn't designed for one particular individual. It should be used as intended and workflows need to be built within the constraints of the software. If that isn't possible you've chosen the wrong tool.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

No the app is a sentient thing and must adapt itself to each users needs as it is all powerful. Evernote is made for YOU!

Just to be clear I'm completely kidding, I'm just genuinely surprised someone would ask this question. It's somewhat unreasonable. Software isn't designed for one particular individual. It should be used as intended and workflows need to be built within the constraints of the software. If that isn't possible you've chosen the wrong tool.

Funny, I'm not feeling the love. :) Tough Love? 

• Level 5*

Searching for stack:<mystackname> gives me the entire content of that stack.  Adding more filters or keywords refines the search.

• Like 1