Note linking broken: both inside a note as link to other note

The system is broken.
Results when clicking on a Note Link (inside the note, for instance in a table of content + link to other note):
* homepage is shown (most of the time)
* link to random note
* seldom i'm directed to the correct note

This occurs in mac version as browser version

10.89.2-mac-ddl-public (20240523113635)
Editor: v178.2.0
Service: v1.107.2

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  If you're clicking on a link inside a browser,  have you tried clearing your local cache?  It's also possible that your database index has somehow been damaged,  which requires a clean reinstall.  I take it you're not a Teams (business) user?

• Level 5*

Not guaranteed,  but it is a process that Support will have you going through before they'll look for any other issues,  so it's worth doing when you have some time.  The only drawback is that Evernote needs to build back its local infrastructure in the background when the reinstall is complete,  so you'll have about 80% performance for the next week or so (depending on how much you use the app).

- Here's a short version of the full process:

Sign out of Evernote / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data.  The new install is still initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

(I'll move this discussion to the Web group too)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, belgiumbart said:

The system is broken.
Results when clicking on a Note Link (inside the note, for instance in a table of content + link to other note):
* homepage is shown (most of the time)
* link to random note
* seldom i'm directed to the correct note

You are not the first to report this. Internal  links, if the note is in a filtered list, have been broken for a long time. 10.91 extended this so that, for me at least, most of the time links do not work. On desktop versions, the workaround for the original bug works here too. Open the link in a new window. I'm not sure that this translates to the web version.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your advice, much appreciated.

i'll just wait for a bug fix for this issue.
The randomness of "note link roulette / note links are like a box of chocolates" is identical in desktop and web version (tried 3 different browsers)
Back to manual searching and copy-pasting in the meantime

• Like 3

ran the update
10.92.3-mac-ddl-public (20240612161827)
Editor: v178.12.0
Service: v1.113.6

and both internal and external note-links are broken again
there's no random links you end up with, you always get redirected to the homepage
this occurs when clicking on a link in a TOC or when clicking on a note link outside of the one you're in

1 hour ago, belgiumbart said:

and both internal and external note-links are broken again

I'm not seeing any change. For me note links work provided the parent note is not in a filtered list or a list of search results. This is a long standing bug and not related to the bug they introduced 10.89.

• Like 1

Like @Mike P, both internal and external links are working fine on both my Windows and Web clients.  I'm not sure about the filtered list situation -- seems to be okay on the web client but I'm not at all sure I'm reproducing exactly what Mike is referring to.  I don't use filtered searches nearly as much as Mike, so that bug doesn't cause me much grief.

Vinnie

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm not seeing any change. For me note links work provided the parent note is not in a filtered list or a list of search results. This is a long standing bug and not related to the bug they introduced 10.89.

Thanks @Mike P for pointing this out (again). You are correct.

I had a 'saved search' with a certain tag in my Shortcuts.
ALL notes within that 'saved search' (with that tag) had issues with external and internal links.
Notes NOT in a 'saved search' didn't have any problem. (PS: initially -on posting this issue- that was also a problem, but that one has been resolved)

I then removed the 'saved search' and internal and external links work fine again.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My Links in the android application are now broken as well.  Windows still works just fine, but the android linkes are definely broken for web/links.  Unsure what the deal is.  All that happens is I get a little flash on the bottom of the screen and nothing else happens.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, KCour2006 said:

My Links in the android application are now broken as well.  Windows still works just fine, but the android linkes are definely broken for web/links.  Unsure what the deal is.  All that happens is I get a little flash on the bottom of the screen and nothing else happens.

I'd suggest quitting the app and powering the phone off and back on.  If the issue persists,  uninstall / power cycle / reinstall.

Well, as usual, uninstall and reload didn't work. Man this application is frustrating. 

I checked my tablet and it's the same as my phone (both android) links became broken, but work on laptop. Very odd. 

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, AMS_67 said:

I am also having the same issue with broken note links. Submitted a support case, still waiting for a response. 

Since this issue affects everyone you won't get individual updates,  but Evernote is actively working on the issue and link accuracy is improving...

11 hours ago, KnutK said:

Solution for iPad and iPhone : deinstall Evernote and re-install it - check!

Sorry - only a solution for a short Berlioz 😕 see here: