Update is required to continue, but there's no update option

I have Evernote for Windows and I restarted my computer and got a message that "An update is required to continue." I'm totally okay with this, but there's no link and no easy way to get the update with this box.

IMG_5538.thumb.JPEG.1ab4044b433f4cf7911fb6ba9abb421e.JPEG

And I'm not sure which version to download to update it!

The latest version should be 10.88.4 and you can find out what you've got from Help --> About Evernote.

Bit of a strange box. If you didn't install from the app-store then you can get the latest from evernote.com/download.

Thanks!

And yeah - I tried to go to evernote.com to get the latest, but somehow the company I work for decided that it shouldn't be a whitelisted website! 

So I'm in battles with them now.

In the meantime, I found an old .exe and "installed" that one - which prompted it to update itself! 

So I'm good now - but that was REALLY annoying!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Company computer ? Managed device ?

Then everything is possible, both lockout on device and through the central network management.

In some cases the version from the Store (Microsoft, Google, Apple) can be used to work around.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:23 PM, bonster713 said:

I have Evernote for Windows and I restarted my computer and got a message that "An update is required to continue." I'm totally okay with this, but there's no link and no easy way to get the update with this box.

IMG_5538.thumb.JPEG.1ab4044b433f4cf7911fb6ba9abb421e.JPEG

And I'm not sure which version to download to update it!

My problem exactly. Who writes this ***** software? Evernote won't start without the update and there's no way to apply the update apart from deleting the current version and installing the 'latest' version from Evernote. Why isn' there at least  an update buton on that message?

On 5/16/2024 at 7:26 PM, Jon/t said:

The latest version should be 10.88.4 and you can find out what you've got from Help --> About Evernote.

Very good my friend but if you read the original post it says "An update is required to continue." Same for me sadly. No update > No app > No Help

I don't mind being told that I will soon need to update, or that my current version is deprecated.  But being blocked from using the app without prior warning is egregious.  It's also non-standard.  I know of no other application - desktop or mobile - that will without warning block you and force an update.  At the same time, by the way, it also forced a password reset, again without warning.  This is bad practice.  I also wonder - what would have happened if I were offline at the time?  Or if I had temporarily had such poor internet service that I could not update, e.g. while traveling?  Forcing an update and password reset without warning is just bad practice.

Addendum: argh!  The new version doubled the spacing between every line of every note I've ever written!  (I use <CR> instead of allowing wrapping.)
A note-taking app should never change the appearance of old notes!  And due to this forced upgrade, there is no way to downgrade versions.

• Level 5

Your version was not just behind, it was dysfunctional.

Your version was at least 1/2 year old, so you went a long time without updating. Maybe there was a local malfunction with your updater. But it was still a malfunction with YOUR individual updater, and no app can reach beyond it when it is blocked locally.

It seems you finally got your warning, and you could update without any issues. I don't know about what you are complaining.

The password reset is not related. It simply means that your password was very unsafe to use, probably found in internet breaches already. This means the bad guys use it in their rainbow tables when brute forcing accounts. Be happy EN forces a reset on accounts using such risky passwords and have no 2 FA enabled.

You can check your passwords yourself here agains known breaches (not all are known, of course): https://haveibeenpwned.com

Responding to PinkElephant, it is true that I do not have auto-update enabled on my MacBook Pro.  Nevertheless, I would have expected an email warning me that at a certain date I would be forced to update before I could continue to use Evernote.  I checked my email archives and spam folder, and don't see such an email.  As you say, my version was probably a few months out of date, but it wasn't years out of date, e.g. I wasn't using legacy version 7 versions.

I also accept your gentle scolding on unsafe passwords.  But here too, I should have received a warning some time before my password was blocked.  Instead, my "warning" consisted of being blocked.  That's not a warning.

BTW, since you seem to be an expert on Evernote, and frequent participant in these forums, I'm curious if you have heard of a workaround for the doubling of interline spacing.  It is making my notes difficult to read, and requiring lots of scrolling up and down.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, marclevoy said:

I checked my email archives and spam folder, and don't see such an email.

You may want to double check that your email address on record is a current one that you use.  That said, they aren't particularly good about emailing users.

There has been a lot of discussion on the spacing issue.  Some have reported that it has improved in a recent version.  I can't say for certain since it is not something that I particularly noticed.