(Archived) Possible To Hyperlink Notes in EN3?

I've only recently begun using EN3, and the product is very promising. What I really need, however, is the ability to create links between notes in a Wiki-like fashion. Is that a capability that's planned for a future version? Or, better yet, have I just overlooked an already existing feature?

Also, while I'm at it, I'll add my voice to some of the other threads and request a native Linux client.

Thanks.

This existed in the 2.2 version - a fact I discovered when I was trying to find a work around for the tag ordering in the 3.0beta version.

If it's not in the works already, I'm seconding! I'd love a way to link notes to one another, even if it only exists in the local notebooks.

This existed in the 2.2 version - a fact I discovered when I was trying to find a work around for the tag ordering in the 3.0beta version.

If it's not in the works already, I'm seconding! I'd love a way to link notes to one another, even if it only exists in the local notebooks.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. It's one of the many that there's never been any indication on the part of the EN team, since 3.0 came out, that it will ever return, other than that vague, generic reference made by Dave a couple of months ago, which was never confirmed by Phil.

Which makes sense in the new paradigm. Pretty hard to have links when the notes are being moved from place to place, even platform to platform. I imagine it takes a different technology on each platform. I think all such "techie" features are gone for good. EN 3.0 is flat, and, I predict, will remain so.

I use search phrases instead of hyperlinks. It's actually simpler, now that I am familiar with the process. And it works no matter where you move stuff.

Just a thought.

But it doesn't work to launch a particular note or category from outside EN.

Several programs that I have come across refer to these as anchors. I currently use a couple of programs that offer this feature. I would like to narrow down the field to one app, and often feel that the deciding factor will be this one. I really enjoy the flexibility and access appeal of EN. I don't understand the complication with this concept. The other programs that I am currently experimenting with seem to handle this feature just fine, without any issues with respect to moving or re-arranging data. WikidPad being a good example. It of course does not have the features or security of EN, but does offer this most excellent wiki-style cross-linking. Coding and other various bit references (contacts information, statistics tracking and so forth are my main driving factors. Excellent example, you clip a bunch of notes from a meeting you had. You read in the notes that BillyJoeBob started a process. You need to contact him, and so being able to click on his name there and it jumping you to his contact note is just well, an excellent and awesome time saving, data managing concept. I say we keep pushing for it. This is the type of envelopes to push at, as they are the ones that will put and keep EN on top.

Ditto for category (now tag or attribute) links. I agree with those in favor of this feature. Like many of the 2.2 features that have been removed, this was useful. I could embed links to notes anywhere in my system.

But the feature most useful to me since the invention of the inbox was the ability to create a category link on my To-Do categories. I put that link both in my system startup and as a target in my key-stroke launcher. With 2.2, when I boot up, my to do list is automatically displayed in Evernote. Whenever I need to get back to it I can see the whole category in a couple of keystrokes, regardless of whatever else I have open.

I vote too to bring it into 3.0, but sadly agree with Salgud on the reality of this expectation. Babies, bathwater, you know.

Several programs that I have come across refer to these as anchors. I currently use a couple of programs that offer this feature. I would like to narrow down the field to one app, and often feel that the deciding factor will be this one. I really enjoy the flexibility and access appeal of EN. I don't understand the complication with this concept. The other programs that I am currently experimenting with seem to handle this feature just fine, without any issues with respect to moving or re-arranging data. WikidPad being a good example. It of course does not have the features or security of EN, but does offer this most excellent wiki-style cross-linking. Coding and other various bit references (contacts information, statistics tracking and so forth are my main driving factors. Excellent example, you clip a bunch of notes from a meeting you had. You read in the notes that BillyJoeBob started a process. You need to contact him, and so being able to click on his name there and it jumping you to his contact note is just well, an excellent and awesome time saving, data managing concept. I say we keep pushing for it. This is the type of envelopes to push at, as they are the ones that will put and keep EN on top.

I think we may be talking but 2 different things here, or 2 variations on a single theme. You're talking about internal links, which, it would seem to me, would not be that difficult to implement because they would be contained in the same file. Jims and I are talking about external links, which, it seems to me. would be more difficult to implement across platforms. We could really use the opinion of a programmer, one who knows the ins and outs of cross-platform programming, but since this is a tabu topic at EN, doubt any of them will jump in and offer an opinion. IOW, it's moot.

I went back and re-read the thread. I'm not sure what I was reading the first time (probably something from my own little world), but yes, I think we are talking about two different things. Which leads us to the following summary statement.

We need both of these features. I had not considered linking notes from outside EN. That does sound like a nice idea. I totally understand the nightmare that would be involved in trying to do so. At the same time though, if you were to be able to create your external link utilizing the interenal anchor feature (the one I'm discussing), I would think you could do it that way. Basically you would create a link (shortcut) to EN that then has an anchor reference on the end. Lets say you have an anchor for your To-do list. In EN whenever you click on your wiki-anchor (whatever thingy) it would jump you to that note, but then if you can associate that anchor to an external link to EN you could put it anywhere. Basically using the anchor as a parameter with the link to EN so once launched EN would then jump you to that anchor. Then you could link notes internally or externally. Right? The system could handle the link aspect to EN, and then EN could handle the specific notebook and note (based on assigned anchor).

Archived