(Archived) Unable to Synchronize: Out of Space?

Apparently I've filled up my memory. I have a lot of PDFs for my research and now that Evernote supports PDFs on the Mac in the beta I was added and organizing them - well, I was until I ran into the problem where I can no longer synchronize because I've exceeded my quota.

So, is there any way to change this, or are we going to be limited in what we can store in Evernote because of this? Yes, I know I can create an unsynched notebook, but this just surprised me to find that I actually will have issues sharing these PDFs... Understand all resources are constrained but I'm wondering what the policy is, and whether you're going to allow "upgrades" or alternate storage (such as Amazon S3, perhaps?) so that I can bypass whatever constraints Evernote places on my "memory"

Even worse, I'm finding that Evernote continues to try to synchronize, despite the inability to do so. Basically, sucking up all my bandwidth and such in an attempt which will fail. So, if I now reorganize everything into a non synchronized folder, do I get the space back?

We have a limit on the total amount you can store in an account for the current beta period. You can see this limit on the "Settings" page of the web UI.

This system is temporary, and will be replaced by a comparable Free account level and a Premium level that will cost a few dollars a month. The Premium level will give you much higher limits than the Free, plus SSL encryption for all communications, etc. This new system will be available relatively soon (weeks, not months.)

Currently, you can delete some notes or move them to local notebooks if you want to free up space on the service.

Okay, here's a thought: could a system be implemented to allowing synchronizing between notebooks on different machines, but NOT stored on the central server? I think this has been discussed in terms of USB, but perhaps the server could be set to allow a pass-through sync or somesuch.

A limit on the size of the shared notebook, unless in the many GB's, could be a deal-breaker...

Edit: Another idea that just struck me is that perhaps notes on a given notebook could be marked for not syncing. That way, I could mark notes that I don't need on multiple notebooks as non-syncing, just saving server space (and, bandwidth).

Edit: Another idea that just struck me is that perhaps notes on a given notebook could be marked for not syncing. That way, I could mark notes that I don't need on multiple notebooks as non-syncing, just saving server space (and, bandwidth).

You can create a "Local" notebook in either the Windows or Mac client which will not be synchronized to the service. Notes in this notebook won't count against your quota, but you can't access these from other computers, or take advantage of the other advantages of synchronized notebooks (web access, etc.).

That's precisely correct: the notebooks can't be synched directly across systems. What I think a number of people (myself included) are looking for is a way to sync notebooks without relying on the Web server. I see this is an issue in at least two respects:

1. Security/privacy for information that simply can't go out into the cloud

2. Concerns about running out of space--ironically, the more EN is relied upon, the more of a concern this becomes

I guess the question is: are there any plans to allow synching without using the Web server? If not, it would probably be better to know that now than to become reliant upon a tool that will not work long-term.

We've found that synchronization without a central server is virtually impossible due to firewalls, etc. I.e. trying to sync from your work PC to your home PC without a server to store the data on (at least temporarily) is basically unworkable for anything but the most IT-savvy power-users. That's why we've gone the current route, to make sure you can always get to your data when you need it without poking holes through your corporate firewall, etc.

You may wish to see whether the additional options from our premium offering meet your needs in a few weeks.

Well, as some have mentioned, the sync could be as simple as exchanging notes with a "proxy" on a USB stick. It could also be over a local network (I use a small utility to sync my Outlook PST's this way, for example). Perhaps an even more relevant example is OneNote 2007, which allows opening a notebook from another location (I have mine on a USB stick) on a system; this notebook then syncs with the original notebook whenever it's available.

This doesn't have to be real-time sync or over the Internet. I think the simplest example would be using a USB stick. Granted, that has a physical limit in size as well, but unless you folks plan on giving up 8GB of storage per account (or more, even), then it would still be a preferable option.

But, yes, personally, I'm certainly willing to wait a few weeks to see what's going to be offered for how much. It's just that I'll have to keep evaluating alternatives in the meantime, as much as I'd love to stick with EN.

Archived