(Archived) Notebook Sorting & Organizing

bumbbles21

Idea

I tried to do a search for this but didn't turn up anything so...

Is there any way to sort each notebook in a different way? Some I'd like to sort by date old-new, some new-old, and some alphabetically by tittle. I know that I can change it to these, but I seems to change all notebooks to the same sorting instead of allowing for different notebooks to save different sorting options.

Also, is there some way beyond tags that I can organize within each notebook? dividers? sub-notebooks? I run the website, social media and meetings as a volunteer for a non-profit and I want them to all have the same notebook, but not all just be thrown in there helter-skelter so that I can find things easier.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Is there any way to sort each notebook in a different way? Some I'd like to sort by date old-new, some new-old, and some alphabetically by tittle. I know that I can change it to these, but I seems to change all notebooks to the same sorting instead of allowing for different notebooks to save different sorting options.

No, you can not change the sort of one notebook and make it different from another notebook.

Also, is there some way beyond tags that I can organize within each notebook? dividers? sub-notebooks? I run the website, social media and meetings as a volunteer for a non-profit and I want them to all have the same notebook, but not all just be thrown in there helter-skelter so that I can find things easier.

Yes, use Stacks.

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/12/07/update-evernote-4-1-for-windows/

That answer doesn't seem to address the problem. For me, the aggregation should occur at the note level. example: I have a Notebook named for a specific project. Within the project notebook are many categories: Expenses, Organizational, Promotional materials, etc. I want to be able to aggregate at that level: the Note Level. Put all invoices in one note. All promo items in another note. And so forth.

Can I do that now? If not, is it coming SOON?

• Level 5*
That answer doesn't seem to address the problem. For me, the aggregation should occur at the note level. example: I have a Notebook named for a specific project. Within the project notebook are many categories: Expenses, Organizational, Promotional materials, etc. I want to be able to aggregate at that level: the Note Level. Put all invoices in one note. All promo items in another note. And so forth.

Can I do that now? If not, is it coming SOON?

You can do that today, if you really want to -- there's nothing stopping you from adding all of your invoices to a single note, etc. But why would you want to? Why not just tag invoices with, say, "Invoice"?

~Jeff

• Level 5
Well, I just started with Evernote a few days ago and I haven't mastered tags. Looks like I'd better go that way, eh?

My suggestion - limit the number of notebooks to a few high level topics and then go crazy with tags.

I have 8,000 notes in 7 notebooks, but hundreds of tags.

• Level 5*
Well, I just started with Evernote a few days ago and I haven't mastered tags. Looks like I'd better go that way, eh?

I think that the key to Evernote is coming to terms with tags. There's no one way to go about it; jbenson2 has elaborate tagging schemes that suit his purposes, but others are not so tag-happy. I'd suggest going slowly, tagging as you see fit. I have less than a hundred tags in my system, and it works fine for me.

But in general, in Evernote you organize notes using Notebooks and Tags. Stacks give you some means of organizing notebooks, more for screen space management purposes, and tags can likewise be organized into hierarchies, but mainly it's Notebooks and Tags. And Searches. Good luck!

~Jeff

Archived