(Archived) Edit Shared Premium NoteBook by non-Premium EN user

PeterNorman

Idea

Hello!

I'm a premium Evernote subscriber. I've shared a notebook with my girlfriend (a subscriber of Evernote's free edition). We both use the latest version of Evernote for Mac (2.0).

I tried accessing the shared notebook on her Mac but had no luck.

I am aware that free users may edit shared premium notebooks via Evernote's web interface - I've tested this and it works for me. However, given the new features of Evernote for Mac 2.0, I'm wondering if it is possible for her to access and edit the shared notebook in Evernote for Mac?

If so, how do I go about accessing the shared notebook from her copy of Evernote for Mac 2.0?

Thanks very much!

peter

10 replies to this idea

My husband and I are in the same situation. For him to see the notebooks I shared with him, he has to first accept the invitation from the email, then within Evernote for Mac click on "Shared" above the left sidebar and once he clicks on the notebook, the notes will start populating. He's also able to edit the notes from there.

The only down side to this arrangement is that there doesn't seem to be any easy way for him to move a note from one of his own notebooks into one of our shared notebooks.

Wow, thanks very much for the reply, Librarienne!

Is your husband's Evernote account free or premium? I don't know anyone who has a premium Evernote account - otherwise I would have run some tests - so I really appreciate your feedback!

I haven't been able to load my shared notebooks from my girlfriend's Evernote for Mac - her Evernote account is the free version whereas mine is the premium version.

Thank-you!

peter

Yes, if a Premium user shares a notebook with a Free user, the Free user can click on the link to view it on the web. Then, on the web, the recipient must click the "Link this to my account" in the top-right corner.

Once the notebook is linked to the account, it should appear in their Mac client under the "Shared" tab (right above the notebooks on the left).

Thank-you Dave!

The "Link this to my account" link does not remain on-screen in the free Evernote Web account long enough to click it - the link appears briefly in the top-right corner of the shared notebook but by the time the page completely loads, it has disappeared.

In all, the link is onscreen (where I expect it) for about 1 second - try as I might I can't get it to work.

I have duplicated this behaviour in Safari 5.03 for Mac and FireFox 3.6.13 for Mac.

Why would this happen? Perhaps a conflict with an extension? The only FireFx extension installed is the 1Password extension; I temporarily disabled the extension but the "Link this to my account" link still does not stay in place.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank-you very much for your prompt reply!

peter

Reasons for the Link option to go away:

Conflict with an extension (Adblockplus, maybe?)

Notebook has already been linked successfully

You're not signed in to the account matching the email address the invitation was sent to.

If someone's account is registered to: address@me.com but you send the invitation to address@aol.com instead, and they login to their account, they won't be able to link it because it's not their's.

Thank-you, Heather!

I still have NEVER been able to click the 'Link this notebook' link from the free account despite having:

- uninstalled all FireFox & Safari extensions (there was only one (1Password); she's never installed Adblockplus)

- sent the invite to the email address with which the free Evernote account was configured

- not successfully linked the notebook already due to never being able to actually access the 'Link to this notebook' link

The link is still going away. However, out of the blue, ALL the shared notebooks I had created suddenly appeared in both Evernote Web and Evernote for Mac. It appears that the process for sharing notebooks DOES NOT require clicking the 'Link this notebook' link in order to have the notebook appear in Evernote for Mac's Shared tab. (I have to conclude this since I've never actually clicked the 'Link this notebook' but the notebooks are appearing in Evernote for Mac's Shared tab nonetheless)

I'm confident that I did nothing to cause the shared notebooks to appear. I left everything alone the moment I posted my last question; when I read your response I fired up Evernote for Mac on my girlfriend's MacBookPro and found the shared notebooks under the Shared tab. Perhaps the notebook sharing facility on the Evernote servers was simply slow to respond for some reason (three days had passed since I created and shared the first notebook; I created the second and third notebooks today after reading Dave's reply but before receiving yours).

So, I deleted all the notebooks created during my previous attempts and successfully created, shared and accessed a new one just now. Woohoo!

However, the 'Link this notebook' link still did not appear in the web browser.

Based on my experience this week, these are the steps I (premium account) followed to share a notebook to an Evernote user (free account):

- create a notebook in a web browser

- configure sharing on that notebook

- configure the invitation so that the user can modify the notebook AND tick the box to require that they log into Evernote

- send the invitation

- have the user click the link in the invitation email to load the notebook in their default web browser

- soon (though maybe not immediately) the shared notebook will appear in their Evernote for Mac desktop client

Could it be that the 'Link this notebook' link does not appear in the web browser because the activation URL automatically does the 'link' step? Perhaps this automatic 'link' requires that the invitation be configured to require the user to log into Evernote?

Whatever the reason, I now have it working thanks to the saint-like patience and help of you (Heather), Dave and Librarienne. My forehead is gone soft from beating it on my desktop in frustration but there's probably a hockey helmet around I can wear to prevent further brain damage. Ha!

I hope these posts help others finding themselves in similar circumstances rather than just giving someone a nosebleed due to my persnicketiness.

I've been waiting for the new editable notebook sharing feature for years! Thank-you!

-peter

The only down side to this arrangement is that there doesn't seem to be any easy way for him to move a note from one of his own notebooks into one of our shared notebooks.

This is a huge down side. I'm curious if the folks at Evernote plan on remedying this situation.

"Shared Notebooks" are not really "in" your account. They're linked, like a web page is linked from another web page, but they're not additional notebooks in your account.

At the present time, you will need to copy the content of a note into a new note.

"Shared Notebooks" are not really "in" your account. They're linked, like a web page is linked from another web page, but they're not additional notebooks in your account.

At the present time, you will need to copy the content of a note into a new note.

It would be all right if it were only the contents that needed to be copied over. We share a recipes notebook. Because she can't clip into the shared folder, she has to copy the content, the URL, the tags, and the title. That's four copy/pastes. Is this the long-term plan for shared notebooks?

If clipping from the web, you could attempt using this plugin:

http://clipmarks.com/clip-to-email/

I haven't tried it, but if you're allowed to set the email subject, you can use Evernote's email-to-specific-notebook feature.:

To email into a specific notebook in an account, you will need the Evernote incoming email address. The address is located under Account Info in the desktop versions of Evernote, under Settings in Evernote Web, and in the Sync tab of Evernote for iPhone.

In the subject line of the email, write the title of the note as you want it to appear in the account. In the same subject line, add one or both of the following:

Use @ for notebooks: Use an @ symbol followed by the name of your destination notebook

Use # for tags: Use a # symbol followed by the tag or tags you wish to assign. You can have multiple tags, just start each with an #

For example, Subject: Trip to Florida @travel #expense report

Would create a note titled Trip to Florida in my "travel" notebook, tagged with "expense report".

You cannot create new notebooks or tags with this - you must use an existing notebook or tag. In the subject line, always put the note title first, then add any notebooks or tags This feature will not work for notebook names that contain an ‘@’ or a ‘#’, and it will not work for tags that contain a ‘#’ in their name.

So, she'd simply need to know you're Evernote account's incoming email address, and the notebook name as it is in your account, and emails should go right there.

Archived