Jump to content
  • 0

"Find in note" (search) tool seeks from top of note, not cursor, and also seeks too soon


acheong87
Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Idea

I'm on version 10.76.2 for Mac but I suspect this could be a cross-platform issue. I've noticed this issue for many years but just dealt with the annoyance—but it's becoming a bigger nuisance as I use longer notes on a daily / hourly basis. There are 2 problems actually, and they are related.

  1. When you try to search for something in your note using the "Find in note" tool (Command+F in Mac), it searches from the top of the note, not where the cursor is. This is really annoying when I'm looking for specific terms or trying to highlight repeated terms in a list or table or paragraph or braindumped blob I'm working in—I have to scroll all the way back down to find where I was. Editors as far back as I remember (even Windows Notepad) all start their search where the cursor is, or at least where the top of the viewport is. I just tested on TextEdit and Atom and IntelliJ IDEA just to confirm—yep, none of them start the search at the beginning of the file. So Evernote's behavior is surprising.
  2. There's a related issue, but it could be solved by solving the above. When I want to search a term, say, _foobar_, on the very first keypress of the "f", Evernote goes and finds the first "f" in the entire note. Who is searching for a single letter in a note? At least if the search didn't begin from the top, I'd be able to keep my view where I was while I type more letters. So fixing #1 would actually make this a non-problem. I think fixing #1 is a better use of resources than adding debouncing (_e.g._ waiting 200ms for another keypress before finding) or removing the automatic find (as opposed to waiting for "Enter") behavior.

That's all. Minor annoyances aside, Evernote is a great product, hope to see it continue to improve.

Link to comment

6 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Solution
5 minutes ago, acheong87 said:

I can't tell from your screenshot though whether it's a long note. My issue applies to long notes where I might be hundreds of lines scrolled down.

Valid point. It was actually a short note. I repeated the process on a long note (5873 words). I searched for the word data of which there were 84 occurrences, well scattered through the note. The note did jump back to the top which is obviously your concern. However the numbering was correct for the next occurrence of the word after the cursor (38 of 84). If you scroll down that is also the highlighted one. Hitting enter (or the right arrow in the dialogue box) will jump to the next occurrence (39 of 84). You would then need to use the back arrow to go back to 38. I can't think of a way of going directly to the next occurrence. 

I agree with you that the jumping back to the top of the note is unhelpful. I do think though that using the arrows in the Find window to progress through the results, starting from the second(!!) result after the cursor, significantly reduces the pain. I do wish there was a way of jumping directly to the first result after the cursor.

Link to comment
  • 0
14 minutes ago, acheong87 said:

When you try to search for something in your note using the "Find in note" tool (Command+F in Mac), it searches from the top of the note, not where the cursor is.

May be it's a Windows vs mac thing but I don't the overall behaviour as a problem.  As a test, see the screen shot below,

  • I placed the cursor in the word under
  • I then pressed ctrl+F and typed win
  • It automatically said 3 of 3 and highlighted that instance in the text

It is obviously numbering from the beginning of the note but actually selecting the next occurrence. That seems like quite sensible behaviour to me.

 

 

image.thumb.png.15f86f3b311b23aac07028bce42f41bd.png

Link to comment
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

May be it's a Windows vs mac thing but I don't the overall behavior

Thanks for testing! I can't tell from your screenshot though whether it's a long note. My issue applies to long notes where I might be hundreds of lines scrolled down. So, if you add a bunch of Lorem Ipsums above your test material (or copy-paste the same thing a buncha times), does it still search from your cursor in Windows?

Link to comment
  • 0
13 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I do think though that using the arrows in the Find window to progress through the results, starting from the second(!!) result after the cursor, significantly reduces the pain.

Omg. How have I never noticed that. That does significantly reduce the pain! I suppose it's still a minor thing worth fixing (great one for the programming intern) but I'm satisfied with just finding the previous / next entity to jump me back. Thanks @Mike P!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

Valid point. It was actually a short note. I repeated the process on a long note (5873 words). I searched for the word data of which there were 84 occurrences, well scattered through the note. The note did jump back to the top which is obviously your concern. However the numbering was correct for the next occurrence of the word after the cursor (38 of 84). If you scroll down that is also the highlighted one. Hitting enter (or the right arrow in the dialogue box) will jump to the next occurrence (39 of 84). You would then need to use the back arrow to go back to 38. I can't think of a way of going directly to the next occurrence. 

I agree with you that the jumping back to the top of the note is unhelpful. I do think though that using the arrows in the Find window to progress through the results, starting from the second(!!) result after the cursor, significantly reduces the pain. I do wish there was a way of jumping directly to the first result after the cursor.

Good workaround Mike. In testing this I noticed that the arrow keys don't jump through the find results on macOS - they simply scroll through the find text box so I have to use the mouse.

Also, am I the only one driven crazy by Evernote not following the standard convention to highlight the previous search term when using the keyboard shortcut to jump back to the find (or search) box? As far as I can remember, every app I've ever used follows a standard convention of highlighting the search term so that it can be more easily deleted and replaced with a new search term. Since the first release of V10 Evernote no longer does this (it did it on Legacy) and it drives me bonkers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
12 hours ago, Paul A. said:

In testing this I noticed that the arrow keys don't jump through the find results on macOS

Thearrow keys I was referring to were the arrow key icons in the dialogue box - sorry for not making that clearer. You can access them in the keyboard using tab and shift+tab from the text box.

12 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Evernote not following the standard convention to highlight the previous search term when using the keyboard shortcut to jump back to the find (or search) box?

I'd never really noticed that. The simple find box (as opposed ot the bigger search and replace) is fairly unobtrusive so I tend to just leave it there if I've used it. I do continue to like how the find dialogue is pre-populated with the search term from a main note search.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...