(Archived) Feature Request: Custom Notebooks based on RSS feeds

I think the title sums it up well. I use a lot of different services, and it doesn't seem like evernote is interested in developing import features for a bunch of different services. I think allowing rss feeds to become notebooks in my account would take care of most integration problems. Ideas for such notebooks: favorited tweets, starred items in google reader, bookmarks from just about any bookmarking service, a twitter or facebook status archive, the possibilities would be endless.

I totally agree. I decided to use evernote because of its amazing search capability but I am not able to move all my starred articles in google reader to evernote. I tried to write a script that takes google readers starred atom feed and emailing it to evernote. However, I have not been very successful. I think this is a easy task for experienced programmers at evernote. I will highly appreciate somenbody to add this functionality. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for this feature request.

You can do this automated now via TarPipe (http://www.tarpipe.com), which let's you create a workflow to connect and RSS feed and dump the entries into Evernote (among other destinations). But - it requires a $5/month subscription (which I have). So, yes, I am paying more per year to add an easy feature to Evernote than I pay for my Evernote Premium subscription.

• Level 5*

The general rule seems to be that Evernote don't like to reproduce functionality that you can get from their partners. If you can get it from tarpipe now then I'd probably guess that you won't get it from Evernote.

The general rule seems to be that Evernote don't like to reproduce functionality that you can get from their partners. If you can get it from tarpipe now then I'd probably guess that you won't get it from Evernote.

Perhaps, but it may depend on the demand. The more users that want a particular feature in Evernote the more likely it will be implemented.

Evernote seems to have two main objectives:

1. Make it easy to put all of your information into Evernote

2. Make it easy to search/find the specific information you need at any moment

So if connecting RSS feeds into Evernote is a popular need, then Evernote may very well implement such a feature.

Of course, just like your post, this is just my opinion/thoughts.

No one really knows what Evernote will or won't do in the future.

• 5 months later...

+1

I would like the ability to import RSS feeds into a specific notebook. The ability to add notebooks settings and tag(s) on a per feed basis would be nice too. I need this to store my completed Remember the Milk tasks, which are exported via RSS. Currently I store the completed tasks in my Google Reader account. Evernote would be a better place as I think of it as my electronic filing cabinet. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

The problem is that tarpipe doesn't do this -- or at least not well. Tarpipe only supports plain text + 1 image -- any HTML content is mangled beyond uselessness.

This functionality would be supported by using feedmyinbox.com (or similar service) plus multiple incoming email addresses (viewtopic.php?t=28200).

Interesting thread. I have literally thousands of RSS feeds starred and tagged and lately every single time I do it I am thinking "boy I wish I could be doing this right *within* EN. I don't even bother to try to move them to EN, not even the new ones, because it would be too time consuming. For instance I have (2) feeds where I star every single article. Having a built-in RSS reader would be beyond awesome. I won't be holding my breath though :(.

I've found the feedmyinbox.com does suite my RSS to Evernote needs (for now). It would still be nice to have the ability to customize Evernote for filing (e.g. all email from a particular address with a certain subject is filed in a certain folder with tags).

• 1 month later...

I just posted this in response to another question, but ifttt.com should work for many of the actions discussed on this thread too. You can set up automatic forwards of a lot of things to the Evernote notebook of your choice, with tags also added automatically if you want. I've only used it with few "triggers" (the outside sources to be forwarded), but it has worked great so far for me.

• Level 5*
I just posted this in response to another question, but ifttt.com should work for many of the actions discussed on this thread too. You can set up automatic forwards of a lot of things to the Evernote notebook of your choice, with tags also added automatically if you want. I've only used it with few "triggers" (the outside sources to be forwarded), but it has worked great so far for me.

Yep; Ive used this also. Pretty simple to set up, but the title/content isn't always to great; for example, when the feed is just a thumbnail/summary of the actual article, I'd rather have the whole article rather than the summary. Haven't figured out how to automate that yet, if it's at all possible. Flip side is that I haven't tried all that hard to figure it out.

Pretty simple to set up, but the title/content isn't always to great; for example, when the feed is just a thumbnail/summary of the actual article, I'd rather have the whole article rather than the summary. Haven't figured out how to automate that yet, if it's at all possible. Flip side is that I haven't tried all that hard to figure it out.

I'm pretty sure there's no way around this, regardless of where you're reading your feeds. If a feed only provides excerpts, there's no way to extract full post/article data, since the feed data only includes the title, link, excerpt, etc. Whether you read that feed in a dedicated RSS reader, through your mail client, or in Evernote, you can't make more data show up than what the feed provides.

Archived