Using 2 different accounts on Android

I see this question has been addressed for the iPhone, but have not found it for the Android.

As many of us do, I have a personal and business account. On my phone, I would like to be able to access both. It tells me it will delete all my content if I "sign out." As I recall, it took a LONG time to download all that stuff, so that isn't practical. The web brower in android is just plain weird on Evernote, so that is not really usable either.

Is there a way to log into a different account on Android? If not, is this ability in the hopper for adding, or is it one of those things that presents too many problems and is best left alone?

For now, you can only login into 1 account at a time. But in the future, we will let you "link notebook" from different account so you can see other notebook from other account. (I think that we may even have links between notes, as well. But I am not sure about this one)

I am fine with one account at a time. In fact, I really don't need to be using 2 accounts simultaneously. The practical issue is that it appears Evernote will delete all the content for the open account as part of logging out, and then, presumably, you wait for the next account to download. So it can be done, but it isn't practical. Does that clarify my question?

Sounds great. There are lots of professionals who must separate business and personal accounts (for example, if you work for the government, many and maybe all of the documents you create can end up being public records - so mixing accounts would be very bad). But yes, if the phone can retain your "main" account's data and your other accounts data separately, that would cure it.

If space is the issue, many of these phones use flash cards so space is probably not a huge deal. My phone (HTC EVO) will not use the card as program space unless the program is written to do that specifically. So I guess you guys have a lot of variables every time you introduce something.

By the way, this application just gets better and better. You guys are doing a great job. I continually recommend this to people and they are astounded that something like this even exists at all.

• 3 months later...

I bought a Android Tablet for in the Livingroom to check my mail, agenda etc. without starting up a laptop

The tablet in is use by myself and my wife

We both have a Evenote account

so multiple account would be very nice !

I'am using Evernote for about 2 years now and: i love it !

THX guys

• 5 months later...

When will this request be implemented. The Android app has been updated since the feature request was acknowledged months ago, and it still just works like the OP noted above. I too use both business and personal Evernote accounts and It takes such a long time downloading that I end up splitting between the Android app for one account and using a browser to access Evernote mobile for the other account. Since the official app is so much better I'd really like to see you guys get on this.

• 1 year later...

Is there any word on whether (or even if) switching between accounts on an Android device is ever going to be enabled?

This is a major showstopper for me (along with colleagues) using Evernote a lot since we all have personal and work-related accounts.

• 1 month later...

I second Tabbykat's comment. I need the same functionality for my Android phone as for my desktop: easy switch between multiple accounts, without loss of data. The ability search through all my notes from my phone, on either account, is a key to the usefulness of Evernote for me. Really surprised to find that this capability was not already included in the 'Droid version.

• 5 months later...

Please add this feature!! Would be great to use my business and private account next to each other.

Of course logout/login is not the most easy way, hopefully multiple accounts will be supported in the same session.

I think this is an important feature for Evernote to implement for better business/private usage of the Evernote system.

The main reason for not using one account, is that I don't want that my private notes will appear on my business system.

• Level 5*

It is ridiculous that it was first stated by a Evernote employee in 2011 that they were looking at implementing feature on Android.

Evaluation and implementation are two different things. Evaluating and then not implementing is not ridiculous.  As it is, the next best thing might be to share notebooks between accounts. Note that free accounts can now designate one shared notebook as editable, which is pretty nice. I use this sharing methodology between my work and personal accounts a lot.

• Level 5*

Actually I would say that not implementing a feature that is already on iOS after reviewing it is even more ridiculous and is a slap in the face for Android users! 

Actually I use Android, and the fact that it's implemented on iOS doesn't bother me at all.

On the other hand, you do know that you can log out of your Android client, and log back in as another account, right? It means that you'll lose an cached content, I believe, including offline notebooks, but you can switch accounts.

Yes I know that but it's not particularly user-friendly, is it? Especially if one makes much use of offline notebooks.

All I'm asking for is for parity between iOS & Android (and Windows & OSX) in Evernote products! Having different features in different clients just seems pointless.

• 2 months later...

I just spent 20 minutes of my life in online chat with Evernote support asking about this.  Apparently they don't even understand the issue, so let me spell it out simply:

• Say I have 500MB of cached workbooks on my Android.
  • Now I need to use another account (or in my case, a co-worker needed to access some of his data)
  • IF I LOG OUT, I LOSE THAT 500MB OF DATA STORED ON MY DEVICE AND HAVE TO RE-DOWNLOAD IT WHEN I LOG BACK IN.
  • If I'm out of range in the interim (a likely scenario), I have to live without my data being available until I get back and it's re-downloaded.

Frankly I don't see how I can make it any clearer that this is a huge inconvenience, not to mention costly to me in terms of download time and data which goes against my personal data plan.  There are other programs which handle this sort of thing MUCH better, simply keeping the two accounts' cached data separate from each other and offering an option to "wipe" the old data when an old account is removed.  I don't understand how Evernote can be far ahead in so many other ways, and yet so far behind in this one.  Especially since it's obviously been a requested feature since 2011.  And if I read the preceding comments correctly, the iPhone app DOES have that functionality?  Man, is THAT ever a slap in the face to Android users!

I did take a few minutes to ask a few of my co-workers, and they all say, "No, I don't know if you can do it, but that'd be an awesome feature!"  Most of us have data that we need to keep separate from work.  I understand that Google+ is similarly blind to the real-world consequences of mixing work data and personal data, which is why I have divorced from G+.

How can two such forward-thinking companies just not get it?

Oh well, I guess we'll get this feature when enough people move on to other platforms.

/rant

AzDayton

Unfortunately your post sums up Evernote's reaction to Android. They claim that they develop their app separately on different platforms but they don't seem to have many (if any) Android developers to introduce new features (especially as you've discovered those features that are on iOS and should obviously be brought to Android).

I have tried contacting Evernote's CEO via Twitter but was just ignored.

• Level 5*

I find that Evernote's Android client is quite nice, and has added features at a pretty steady rate. Just not that one. You might want to check out what the iOS folks say about Android, before you make definitive judgements about the Android dev team. For example: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49541-why-is-ioss-evernote-so-bad-compared-to-androids/. A lot of this sort of feeling comes from one client having one or two features that the other one lacks. Depends on what's important to you.

Anyways, one pretty easy workaround is just to share notebooks from one account to the one that you use on Android. If you're a premium subscriber, you can mark them as "offline", just like the original account's notebooks, and they'll be with you all the time. I do this so that I can have work notes available to me via my personal account.

If iOS users are complaining about their client relative to the Android client, then all this says to me is that Evernote needs to develop one client and port them over to all the different platforms at once. Developing different clients on different platforms is just stupid and is a recipe for complaints from everyone.

I, for one, am not going to stop complaining about missing features that should be in the Android client. Workarounds should NOT be needed - these feature should be in every client as standard.

• Level 5*

If iOS users are complaining about their client relative to the Android client, then all this says to me is that Evernote needs to develop one client and port them over to all the different platforms at once. Developing different clients on different platforms is just stupid and is a recipe for complaints from everyone.

Oh, I agree that they should have more or less the same capabilities on the different clients, for sure, so long as the apps fit the OS usage guidelines and it makes sense otherwise. On the other hand, porting is to different platforms is not always a trivial undertaking.

I, for one, am not going to stop complaining about missing features that should be in the Android client. Workarounds should NOT be needed - these feature should be in every client as standard.

Of course you're welcome to complain all you want. So maybe it'll get implemented soon, and maybe it won't get delivered at all. But sharing actually works for this purpose, in today's Evernote, and if you won't use it, then that doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this is as particularly important use case as you make out, unless you have some other reason that philosophical as to why it wouldn't work for you. But hey, maybe you have time to wait around for the perfect piece of software (which may never come). I don't -- I just use sharing, which works fine for me. Good luck.
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It's a year later and the feature is still missing on Android. I don't want to share notebooks for two reasons. First I'm in education and I teach pupils how to use their Smartphones to get their things done. I use a dummy account for this and I don't want to open my real world notes to that audience. I do this by screenmirroring but afterwards it takes time to get my notes and my real stuff back at work. Of course I can use my laptop, but the expirience is different. My second reason is that (given one day there is a presentation mode on Android, too) I use Evernote for ad hoc presentations, too. I don't even want to open note titles by accident to the wrong audience. And accidents do happen. That's why I want the possibility to clearly separate accounts with an one click switch within the Android app.

It's a year later and the feature is still missing on Android. I don't want to share notebooks for two reasons. First I'm in education and I teach pupils how to use their Smartphones to get their things done. I use a dummy account for this and I don't want to open my real world notes to that audience. I do this by screenmirroring but afterwards it takes time to get my notes and my real stuff back at work. Of course I can use my laptop, but the expirience is different. My second reason is that (given one day there is a presentation mode on Android, too) I use Evernote for ad hoc presentations, too. I don't even want to open note titles by accident to the wrong audience. And accidents do happen. That's why I want the possibility to clearly separate accounts with an one click switch within the Android app.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived