Sort Search Results by Other Columns

Banarieo

Idea

The display of search results allows other columns to be added, such as location (why isn't this "notebook"), URL, Size, etc.

But it is only possible to sort on Title or Created Date. Why is it not possible to sort on any of the additional columns?
Should be easy enough to do, and would be helpful. For example: I've decided to move notes that mention "Paleo Diet" into the "Paleo Diet" folder.
I had been placing them in my "To Read" notebook, and other notebooks, but want to consolidate them. There are already 100s of notes in the "Paleo Diet" folder,
so the search results show the notes mixed up by "location". If I could sort on location, all of the notes already in the "Paleo Diet" folder will group together,
and I could locate notes in other locations/notebooks very easily. As it is now, I must hunt through the entire list to find misplaced notes. Very slow.

6 replies to this idea

3 minutes ago, Banarieo said:

The display of search results allows other columns to be added, such as location (why isn't this "notebook"), URL, Size, etc.

But it is only possible to sort on Title or Created Date. Why is it not possible to sort on any of the additional columns?
Should be easy enough to do, and would be helpful. For example: I've decided to move notes that mention "Paleo Diet" into the "Paleo Diet" folder.
I had been placing them in my "To Read" notebook, and other notebooks, but want to consolidate them. There are already 100s of notes in the "Paleo Diet" folder,
so the search results show the notes mixed up by "location". If I could sort on location, all of the notes already in the "Paleo Diet" folder will group together,
and I could locate notes in other locations/notebooks very easily. As it is now, I must hunt through the entire list to find misplaced notes. Very slow.

The ability to sort by any of the fields available (not just location) was available in Legacy and has been much requested since the inception of V10. Sometimes there is no workaround for the users use case. Sometimes a creative use of the advanced search syntax will give a solution which is as good or sometimes better. In you case how about

paleo diet -notebook:"Paleo Diet"

to find all the notes mentioning paleo diet not in the notebook.

• Thanks 1

I imagine you could have emails sent to an intermediate email address on a platform like Outlook that has forwarding rules.  Then you could set up rules in the email client that take advantage of the # and @ options built into Evernote forwarding to route the emails to different places in Evernote.

Vinnie

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Banarieo said:

Should be easy enough to do, and would be helpful.

I agree that other sort options would be very helpful.  Hopefully it is on their todo list at some point.  Others have asked for this as well.  Without access to the code, we don't know how easy or difficult this may be.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Banarieo said:

I had been placing them in my "To Read" notebook,

Just one other thought that you might find helpful. If I have a note that requires reading I add a "to-read" tag to the note, but then file it as normal. That way all the notes on that subject are always in the same place and can easily be found.  Clicking the tag gives me my reading list which spans across lots of different subjects. If I just want reading on subject X I can search for both the to_read tag and notebook (or tag) X. Once I've read a note, I simply remove the to_read tag.

Tags are really good at handling meta data like reading, reviewing, action etc.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, Mike P said:

The ability to sort by any of the fields available (not just location) was available in Legacy and has been much requested since the inception of V10. Sometimes there is no workaround for the users use case. Sometimes a creative use of the advanced search syntax will give a solution which is as good or sometimes better. In you case how about

paleo diet -notebook:"Paleo Diet"

to find all the notes mentioning paleo diet not in the notebook.

Just realized I never returned to tell you how much the advanced search example has helped. It's changed my use of Evernote entirely. I had over 8k notes in my default notebook (mostly the result of newsletters being sent to my Evernote address. Searching this way made it possible to clear the notebook in a few days.

Is there a way to define rules for notes to be moved from the default notebook to other locations? This has been in Outlook for many years, and adding the capability in Evernote would be fantastic.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Banarieo said:

Is there a way to define rules for notes to be moved from the default notebook to other locations?

I don't think so. You could suggest it to EN using feedback@evernote.com