Loading Note... takes forever

I'm evaluating evernote and love its potential but am finding ongoing problems opening and loading notes. So far all my notes are tiny, just bits of text which at most have a couple of sentences. When I select an existing note to load and view, it often takes a very long time (many minutes) to load and sometimes it just doesn't and I end up with an error message. My data connections are fine and I'm able to log in and view the note using my web browser on my laptop - although last time I tried this I got the following error:

Unknown exception (com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException: One or more exceptions caught, see full set in UmbrellaException#getCauses) during operation (Unknown).

Close

Also, to what address can I can send error logs? It would be good if an address field is included in the email generated when clicking the 'Send Log' function in the Evernote menu.

Thanks,

David

Yes, I know - what you mean. I'll have at most a 200 byte text note. (Headers are fully downloaded, thumbnails also. Evernote Android fully on the phone).

Yet, attempting to first time see it - takes 30 seconds, a minute. What is the IP traffic doing? Is Evernote going thru a special port that ATT is restricting or throttling? I understand, it is probably a https port, on 443? But, this is a HTC Droid, it certainly has ever processing power to compute encryt/decrpt algorithms and all that. (Yes, working connected to an adaptor. Web pages pull up - very fast.)

Rob

HTC Desire (Eclair)

PS. Once a note is loaded, it appears to be on the phone. Then, it will come up almost instantly. Question: How can I cause a 2000 note notebook to be that way? Select offline - does it do that. (However, I'll take steps to back it up first. And return a duplicate notebook, to being the original for my two Windows PC - via network online NBs.)

I have had the same issue, just starting in the last couple of days. There is no error log to post. I am a "premium user" and I thought that my notes were stored off line and "right at my fingertips" This takes longer than with the wifi connection on. I have a ATT Capitvate.

Any suggestions evernote staff?

If you are a premium user, I recommend the following:

1. Open the app settings.

2. Choose offline Notebooks.

3. Check off whatever notebooks you want to be cached on the device.

Now, whenever you choose sync from the options menu, or the app syncs in the background, it should also download the content and resources for each of the notes in the selected notebook. It'll likely take a while to complete the first sync after you make the change.

I've just installed for the first time on a new Samsung Epic (Android), and it never seems to actually load a note. It just stays with the "Loading Note..." message for many minutes. I think I've let the latest attempt run for 15 minutes. In the meantime, I've had connectivity and successfully downloaded other stuff.

Seems like a fatal bug for me. I can't even open a new note I created that only contains 3 lines. I can see that new note on the Web version, but I can't open it (or any note) on the Android version.

Just want to add myself to the list of users having this problem. I have just a few small mainly text notes. The most complex "object" would be some checkboxes but that's it. I haven't been able to load my notes on my HTC Desire running FroYou for a few days now. I have been able to access them on my PC through the web interface but even that times out occasionally. I did get an update to 2.5.1 a few days ago and it may be coincidence but that might have been when I started having a problem.

I am a new one to Evernote and I am also testing Evernote the past days. After the network problem is gone Ithought everything would be fine now.

BUT: The Android-Client is useless for me. It takes up to 1 Minute (WiFi-conection) to display a text-note with a few lines (200 Byte)

I am using the Samsung Galaxy S which should have enough power to do this little job in a shorter time. Syncing my PC-Notes with my Android was the reason to evaluate EN. I bought many Apps in the Android-Market if they are really good (payed once for the App not for an account), but I am not willing to pay 45$ for the offline-feature of EN.

Also I am not able to edit the existing notes on the mobile because most of them were converted to RTF-format.

The Idea of Evernote is really good but the Android-Client is absolut awfull.

+1

this is definitely a reason NOT to buy the premium fee. On both a fast GSM and WiFi network loading notes is taking a long time...uncomfortable long when you have to access a note in a meeting or during a conversation. Like Boxer, I'm talking about loading really small notes. Because of this the offline viewing mode shouldn't be part of a premium pack.

I think there is somewhere a problem with the Android Application regarding loading notes that take a lot of time, even notes that we expect to be stored locally in offline mode. As a premium user, I have several books that are marked for offline viewing and I faced recently problems loading notes that were expected to be stored locally. Quite annoying, I agree.

For the last few days I have encountered that situation and just found out a workaround that seem to work for me. When the loading take forever I suspect that some kind of connections in the Evernote application are still pending and are affecting the whole behavior of Evernote. What I have done today was to disable my phone data network (i.e. no more access to internet), load an Evernote note that I know was available locally (that was finally fast), and then re-enable my phone data network. After that, the symptoms of slowliness disapeared: loading notes that I know where stored locally was instantaneous, and loading notes that requires a sync would take few seconds only.

Maybe someone else could test this and confirm if it help.

- Pierre

PS: To shutdown the internet on my phone I long press the power button, select the second entry that I could translate as "Data network deactivated", same procedure to re-enable it. Samsung Galaxy S with Froyo.

Tried to verify, what you were saying. First by Airplane mode to stop networking, using GO Launcher to close Evernote.

- no result.

Then, even reboot / power-off + on, no difference.

Although, my phone, once note is dloaded by going into it. It is nice and quick then. Do not have an offline on phone Notebook yet.

Rob

HTC Desire (Eclair)

I just got a android incredible and signed up as a premium user. This was Saturday and 48 hrs later only a third of the notes have even thumbnails much less useable content. I love the concept of Evernote and have found it useful on my computer, but to really be functional it must synch faster than this with a smart phone. Any thoughts on how to speed this up?

I'm having the same problems for a few days now on a Samsung Galaxy 5. It started when EN had those problems with online syncing, I believe. Today I uninstalled EN from my phone and, for now, it's working. This problem is really annoying and I thought it was because of my cellphone's rather weak processor, but now I see many people with better phones and the same thing.

Are there any known ways to avoid these errors aside from turning off data connection?

I'm not getting these "5 min" that some people says, but it takes ~10-15 sec to open a note that only has a few sentences of text. This is over a fast wifi connection. Don't really understand what it is doing, is Evernotes servers really this slow?

I'm still experiencing issues - I had thought the network upgrades might have addressed the problem however this doesn't seem to be the case. I'm finding particularly small notes take the longest time to load - if at all. After uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote, I have a note which is 7 words in length hang with the Loading Note message. After 4 or 5 minutes I've given up, hit the back button and emailed a log in the hope it might help troubleshoot. I've reproduced the situation a few times before sending the log. Also I can see the note on the server via my web browser.

I have build 118454 Ver 2.5.1 installed and I note there are later beta versions available - can I try a recent version?

It seems "the format" when native Windows or some such created notes, is different than Android's way. = You'll notice this, when you attempt to edit a "very plain text" note, created elsewhere. Evernote Android says, cannot handle the RTF. (Really, this is a droid, and it doesn't know RTF? Hrmmm)

So, besides the network protocol / exchanges. It appears to be a format of text being converted back and forth, related issue too. My guess.

----

About slowness problems with the Android client. I just started using a Droid, about a month ago. So, a learning curve there. However, unlike "most OSes" you aren't able to just "close an App."

1: However, Evernote for Android seems to need this, on occasion. Because, once you start it running, it is always there.

2: What happens? Well, I have noticed - after a day - on idle / non-use, and return, then start using phone a lot. Then, try to get into Evernote, and "just showing Thumbnails" is slow / it pauses. = Also, there is a fair amount of IP traffic happening. (I can tell this by watching my EVD0 up / down arrows activity.) But, the transferring is slowed - not "both arrows on" constantly.

3: Well, after installing GoLauncher - and found it "has a screen" (it is an Android UI App), I use it half the time with my native HTC Desire SenseUI - user interface. .. = It has "an option" to kill processes, / Apps.

4: So, after noticing "Evernote seems to be sleeping." IP traffic no where near as active, when fresh starting, like when a full reboot.

DECIDED to close it, via GoLauncher. (5) Shazam, Evernote wakes up!

Note: This doesn't solve the slow note loading issue. I know.

(*) It isn't recommended to be "just killing" your Apps, on a Droid. I don't use ProcessKill / TaskKiller, and don't intend to.

(*) My best guess - what is going on? = I would SUSPECT the networking process threads have "become stale" and Evernote Android doesn't know / realize, reset them, kill them, or what ever you may say.

----

So, that is my two cents. Still not a solution. But, at least, I would hope "explains some things" to my fellow Droid Evernote sufferers in anguish.

What can we do?

1. [*:zse2bqwn]Try to understand the process - personally, I blame the phone carriers, mine ATT. TCP/IP communication is fraught with peril. (Have you ever taken a network sockets coding class?)
    [*:zse2bqwn]Yes, stale socket communication seems to be happening. (Don't confuse with prompting for Force Close, or BS / black screen lockups.)
    [*:zse2bqwn]Although, long BS or thumbnails don't show - rather indicative, IMO the network handling needs to be re-initialized.
    [*:zse2bqwn]Find a way, to close the Evernote app. (For legal reasons, I do not recommend you do this, I did not say this, I was never here.)
    [*:zse2bqwn]Evernote should of told us this. Why we all sweat / wondering, what is happening? Does it not work on my Droid phone? Or no doubt dozens of Freemiums users spamming the Support team.
    [*:zse2bqwn]With that little bit of criticism. I am a premium user, have been for several users, definitely will continue being; and highly recommend Evernote to anyone, who can understand the "value of their data" in the Cloud.
    [*:zse2bqwn]If a "reset connection" command could be placed, in the Settings menu of Evernote Android? Would that fix this issue? I don't know. (I don't work for Evernote, just use it.)

Rob

HTC Desire (Eclair) ATT

I am having the same problem on an HTC Desire HD.

I contacted support and they suggested I should install the latest pre-release version. That did not solve the problem. However, I discovered something very interesting:

I don't know whether this happened after I installed the pre-release version or it was happening all along (I did not test before), but notes seem to load a lot faster on 3G than on Wifi. A simple text note of 20-30 words takes 1-2 minutes to load on Wifi, whereas after switching Wifi off and going to 3G it loads within 15-20 sec. Now, of course 15 sec. is still ridiculously slow for a text note, but at least the app is usable. Waiting 2 min. for a note to load, any note, makes the app unusable for me personally.

Anybody else experiencing this?

I have a similar problem on Samsung Galaxy S running Froyo, going through Optus phone provider in Australia.

I'm on 3G now and it takes between 30 seconds up to 2 minutes for simple text notes to load for the first time.

After they have loaded once, they're fast.

It hasn't really bothered me because I usually use my phone to take photo notes, and don't really look at them on my phone. But in the event that I did want to look at them, it is painfully slow.

Same problems on my Captivate w/ latest EN client, non-premium user. Painfully slow loading of small plain text note originally created on phone. I tried switching to airplane mode and noticed that some of the notes have been cached to my phone however many others would now not load at all with no data connection (i expected this to happen since im not a premium user).

However when I turned data back on even some of the cached notes now took a long time to load.

Note to user questioning ability to handle RTF... your phone can handle whatever the developer codes into the software. So in this case EN has likely not included the capability of editing RTF into the Android client. Seems like a bad choice to me. Bullet lists and font formatting are really useful in note taking.

I'm having this issue as well.

When did this start happening? I'm on Droid 1, and I can remember Evernote running smoothly in the past, but as of now, the evernote app on my phone is almost useless. Really, I'm not exaggerating. I use evernote on my phone to *quickly* check things. Things like lock combo's for farm gates, pictures of the color code for my car, that person's contact info I met the other day, etc... These are all tasks that I CANNOT wait 5 minutes to load. Almost all these notes are simple text notes, they should load instantly.

It seems to me that the android app, upon launch, starts to sync ALL data. Once it starts to sync EVERY PIECE OF INFO EVER, the rest of the entire application is useless. Nothing will load or do anything. So while it's syncing (which can take a long time depending) no notes will load. Once the sync is completed, the app is responsive, notes load right away, etc...

This behavior has GOT to be changed asap. At its current state, the application on my phone really truly is almost useless. Has there been any official statement by the dev team on status of this bug, or...?

• Level 5*
Nothing from the dev-team in days....

Looking at replacements, Springpad, Catch.com...there is alternatives.

This is a user forum, and not really intended as a support forum. Did you file a support ticket?

~Jeff

I have seen some suggestions in this user forum from Evernote stuff, so if this is not the place to ask them some answer, I wonder where it is that place? My story is quite similar to many of you, but I can say that I have just bought my new Android phone MAINLY for using Evernote... And finding it SO SLOWLY is terrible dissapointing.

• Level 5*

The place to open a support inquiry is at the bottom of this page: http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/. Evernote staff do read and sometimes post in the forums, but it's not really the best place to get support from them, though sometimes another user might have a solution, so it's worth posting in the forums, too.

~Jeff

This is a user forum, and not really intended as a support forum. Did you file a support ticket?

~Jeff

Yes, I did. After exchanging a lot of emails, half of which they did not read and I had to reply the same thing over and over and over again, here's the ultimate answer I got:

"Hi,

I will be happy to pass this along to the engineers. Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product,

Larry"

I completely agree that this issue makes the app completely unusable on Android. Now, I have some experience with software development and I do understand that fixing such issues is not necessarily a 15 min. job. So what I am shooting for is someone from Evernote accepting that there is such an issue, that it is a very serious issue and that they are doing everything they can to fix it within reasonable time. We all know that there are alternatives out there, but we are all also users of Evernote and we spend our time writing here, which means we like the platform and would rather not switch if possible, right?

So let's all pull together and try to be constructive. Please, please someone from Evernote: take a stance on this issue!

Nothing from the dev-team in days....

Looking at replacements, Springpad, Catch.com...there is alternatives.

Yes, unfortunately, until this is improved. I am using Springpad for my mobile solution, and transfer the notes - back to Evernote on the PC. At least, Springpad for now, is free and fast.

.. Evernote accepting that there is such an issue, that it is a very serious issue and that they are doing everything they can to fix it within reasonable time. We all know that there are alternatives out there, but we are all also users of Evernote and we spend our time writing here, which means we like the platform and would rather not switch if possible, right?

So let's all pull together and try to be constructive. Please, please someone from Evernote: take a stance on this issue!

Yes, maybe filing a support ticket, is a better idea. = However, I am glad, we all exchanged this information. At least, now, I can tell, it isn't my phone, or just my Carrier, and so on.

I would be curious, if an Evernote person wants? to respond. Why was the "previous version" Android client faster?

What is the dev team, doing now? I suppose, they are scrambling to get Notebook stack features, put in. And this speed / non-speed issue. Yes, I know, you cannot tell us when, or give a timeline.

But, it is pretty obvious with how Android is "perhaps?" becoming a larger installed base, of smartphones - than even iPhones. Maybe, Mr. Libin should switch to an Android phone?

Thanks for the reports. We're still investigating this, but don't see this problem on our devices. So we're trying to determine the variable (e.g. networks, etc.) that may be causing this problem.

Thanks for the reports. We're still investigating this, but don't see this problem on our devices. So we're trying to determine the variable (e.g. networks, etc.) that may be causing this problem.

Good. Thanks for the update.

I seriously doubt the network can be the problem, since it seems retrieving notes on 3G is actually faster than on Wifi. However, branding might just have something to do with it... A lot of these phones are bought from mobile operators and have a good amount of branding on top of their manufacturer's proprietary UIs (in my case Froyo + HTC Sense + O2 Germany branding).

I've already submitted logs from my phone - let me know if there's anything else I can do. Please fix this ASAP - it makes Evernote useless for me :)

Excellent! Good to hear from the devs :lol:

I will say that in response to:

However, branding might just have something to do with it... A lot of these phones are bought from mobile operators and have a good amount of branding on top of their manufacturer's proprietary UIs (in my case Froyo + HTC Sense + O2 Germany branding).

I don't think that's the case. I'm running a custom ROM that absolutely zero branding and it's still an issue.

Hey folks -

Sorry about all the hassels with note loading taking forever, we've been hard at work on a big update. Please take a look at the latest beta, we hope you'll love it:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21941

There were a few problems that we've addressed:

- Honeycomb Android clients have some different SSL behavior that required some re-work. It wasn't releasing connections like previous OS's did so the device could lock up for a bit.

- We've improved the HTTP connection management and the "Keep Alive" behavior so network requests are much faster.

- In general we've reduced the need for network requests in several cases so cached notes should appear more quickly

We've noticed that some devices drop the networking connections every 5 minutes. Our new version handles this better than prior versions.

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the update! It's great to know that you're working on it.

Unfortunately the version you posted did not make any difference for me. I am curious to hear whether it solves the problems for the other users who are experiencing this problem.

I also have a quick question: does the new version increase battery use? Does Evernote consume any CPU processing time and/or battery while it is running in background?

Thanks again and keep up the good work :)

Hi guys!

Unfortunately the version you posted did not make any difference for me. I am curious to hear whether it solves the problems for the other users who are experiencing this problem.

There is still a little loading time, that I don't really know what it comes from as it's a offline notebook. However, the loading is indeed significantly faster on my phone (Wildfire 2.2).

I also have a quick question: does the new version increase battery use? Does Evernote consume any CPU processing time and/or battery while it is running in background?

By default sync Evernote syncs every 30 minutes in the background. You can disable it under Settings. Other than sync, there's no significant CPU drain in the background.

We have identified and fixed couple of n/w connection and sync related problems.

The fix will be provided in the next update.

Pls look for Android 3.0 Beta 1 release in 2-3 days which will have better n/w performance.

We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Hemant

Android Developer.

This is VERY good news - or at least we hope it is.

EverNote is a good product and has the potential to be GREAT. I think there are many, who like me, would switch to 'Premium' in a flash if we thought it could give us quick and reliable access to notes on our Androids. The experience over the past few weeks has been very disappointing - SO much worse than on the iPad (which I also use).

Maybe the way to get some resource dedicated to this is to tell the powers that be in your shop that they are missing out on a major potential revenue stream by not having a properly operational Android implementation. i.e. It is getting this right - rather than increased storage space or better access to product support - that will sell the Premium solution to the Android community. (Of course I don't know how bad the 'premium' version is - most of the comments on this forum seem to indicate it is just as slow as my 'free' version - but I am not prepared to pay for a service that doesn't really exist.)

Good luck and I really hope that in 2-3 days you will have a lot more satisfied users (and Premium customers!)

Ato D.

Hey folks -

3.0 beta 1 is out and should address this problem. Let us know!

I just tested this. I have posted my reply on your main 3.0 beta thread here - viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22129&start=0#p95244.

I will repaste here -

1. Loading a plain text note took 12-15 seconds. Faster than before but still slow.

2. Loading a note containing some small images took more than 60 seconds. At least it is eventually showing up but it is requiring me to wait more than a minute before I can see it.

Conclusion - there is some improvement but it is not close to the threshold of acceptability. Loading page remains an issue.

(Using Android froyo 2.2.1)

Hey folks -

3.0 beta 1 is out and should address this problem. Let us know!

I just tested this. I have posted my reply on your main 3.0 beta thread here - viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22129&start=0#p95244.

I will repaste here -

1. Loading a plain text note took 12-15 seconds. Faster than before but still slow.

2. Loading a note containing some small images took more than 60 seconds. At least it is eventually showing up but it is requiring me to wait more than a minute before I can see it.

Conclusion - there is some improvement but it is not close to the threshold of acceptability. Loading page remains an issue.

(Using Android froyo 2.2.1)

Same here. There's definitely improvement, but it's still far from being usable.

• 3 weeks later...

Has this problem gone away?

I was experiencing this problem - but now it seems to have gone away! :D

2 things happened

* My device (Samsung Galaxy Tab) did a system update yesterday.

* I updated to the latest 2.6.1 version of Evernote.

Unfortunately, I didnt' work with Evernote between the 2 events.

I'm using a free account and today the notes will be downloaded and displayed in 2 - 3 seconds.

I certainly hope this has been fixed. Anybody else experiencing this????

Have a great day,

• 2 weeks later...

Just one more unhappy user, Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. Having tried twice today in different locations, when loading notes just churns away, I just powered the phone down and rebooted. This time the notes came up quickly, but why should we have to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list.

Installed version 3.0 Alpha 2. It is noticeably faster, but unfortunately still on the annoyingly slow side...

HTC Aria, unbranded, wifi and Mobistar (Belgium; operator does not use any special kinds of dataconnection policies)

The rest of the new version looks good.

• 1 month later...

This just started happening to me today. The Android app will not load even a simple text note with only a title and no text in the body. All my notes are stored locally, yet it still hangs on "Loading Note..." I'm using 3.0.1, build 142077. Sprint EVO 4G.

I have done the following, but Evernote remains useless.

--uninstalled and reinstalled, re-downloading all notebooks

--tried both in airplane mode and not

--killed the app and restarted.

--rebooted phone

Non of these things resolved the problem.

• 1 year later...

I have been rapidly uploading notes from BB so that I will have them on new android ( Galaxy). Total of almost 400 notes alphabetized, got about half way and received email " unable to submit...storage limit has been reached". My storage says I have used only 171 kb. No more notes will load. I can see the notes that loaded on my ipad. Thoughts?

• Level 5*

I have been rapidly uploading notes from BB so that I will have them on new android ( Galaxy). Total of almost 400 notes alphabetized, got about half way and received email " unable to submit...storage limit has been reached". My storage says I have used only 171 kb. No more notes will load. I can see the notes that loaded on my ipad. Thoughts?

What do you mean by "uploading notes from BB"?? Are you adding notes to Evernote from an external source, or are you syncing the notes onto your new device? Syncing shouldn't affect your upload limit, only adding new notes or editing existing ones.

I have been emailing each individual note from my BB to my evernote email address. 133 went fine and I can see those notes in evernote on my BB and iPad, but then I got the storeage limit email. Now the rest do not go. I did this so I can switch to my new Galaxy S III. I needed all these notes moved to the android from the BB.

• 1 year later...

Dear Evernote community,

I have upgraded my apple mac to os x yosimite yesterday and then upgraded Evernote to vs 6.0. Since then my notes (both local and synchronised notes) take about 1 minute to load each. I measured the time with a stopwatch. Even small textual notes containing only a few lines of text (no images or graphics) take a minute to load. Before my upgrade the response was always instant. Unless there is a solution, I won't be able to use Evernote any longer. I have a few hunders notes altogether. Can anyone convince me to keep on using Evernote?

Francois

Amendment:

It is a few hours later and I need to report that I no longer have this delay in seeing the contents of my notes. You can imagine how grateful I am to continue using and adding to my notes. I wish I could explain who this has happened, but I have no idea.

Francois

Archived