(Archived) Scansnap + evernote workflow: How do you handle bills of var

So I have access to a scansnap here and was about to hook it up with evernote and let it go. I've read all over the web how people love that they can just let it chug through 50 pages at a time and not worry about anything. However I don't understand how people are separating bills.

What if you have a 4 page long bank statement, then a page long amazon receipt, then a 2 page long comcast bill? Or what if you just have several multi-page documents?

Do they all just get thrown into one big pdf file on your computer / in evernote?

Or do they all get separated into individual 1 page long files?

(neither of which is really acceptable since it requires post editing of every single document.)

How do you guys do it?

Depends upon your scanner & software.

If you scan to PDF, you can scan multiple pages. (IE bank statement. Which, btw, I don't put into Evernote.) But each doc must be scanned individually, if you want each document to be contained in a single file.

For a very long thermal receipt from a grocery store, I use NeatWorks. The firmware on their rebadged scanner allows lengthy (IE longer than 11 inches) receipts to be scanned. Again, those don't go into Evernote, most of the time, for me.

• Level 5
So I have access to a scansnap here and was about to hook it up with evernote and let it go. I've read all over the web how people love that they can just let it chug through 50 pages at a time and not worry about anything. However I don't understand how people are separating bills.

What if you have a 4 page long bank statement, then a page long amazon receipt, then a 2 page long comcast bill? Or what if you just have several multi-page documents?

Do they all just get thrown into one big pdf file on your computer / in evernote?

Or do they all get separated into individual 1 page long files?

(neither of which is really acceptable since it requires post editing of every single document.)

How do you guys do it?

I''ve got a ScanSnap and yes, it is super. It can scan single-sided or dupliex, color or B&W, OCR'd or not, and various resolutions.

If you want to scan a 50 page document to a multi-page PDF file, it will do it.

Each day, I take the mail and decide what to scan.

The phone bill will be duplexed and usually is several pages long.

The credit card bills are scanned for the front page only.

After each document is fed through, I create the customized title and let it be sent to Evernote.

The confidential stuff is sent to my non-sync'd local notebook.

Then I do the same for the next document.

I would never consider doing them all together to one file.

I put the original documents into a single folder and hold them for a couple months, then chuck them. Might be overkill, but just in case I need an original, I could retrieve it. The thermal receipts go straight into the trash.

Like BurgerNFries, I use the NeatReceipt scanner for the small thermal receipts. My wife usually crumbles them up in her purse, so it takes a bit of forensic recovery to get them into a scannable condition.

What are you doing with them instead? Just keeping the files on your computer?

Yes. I use a password manager for passwords & IME, I rarely need to access anything else that's got sensitive information, right away. Usually, anything like that can wait until I get home. If I absolutely must access something like a credit card bill (that I couldn't access online b/c it's so old) or tax returns or whatever, I have two options. I can either use Logmein to access my computer at home (it's on 24/7) or I can access the backups that I have on Jungle Disk (which are stored encrypted on JD's servers.)

BTW, the sensitive info on my hard drive is stored in a Truecrypted container.

What are you doing with them instead? Just keeping the files on your computer?

Yes. I use a password manager for passwords & IME, I rarely need to access anything else that's got sensitive information, right away. Usually, anything like that can wait until I get home. If I absolutely must access something like a credit card bill (that I couldn't access online b/c it's so old) or tax returns or whatever, I have two options. I can either use Logmein to access my computer at home (it's on 24/7) or I can access the backups that I have on Jungle Disk (which are stored encrypted on JD's servers.)

BTW, the sensitive info on my hard drive is stored in a Truecrypted container.

How's Jungle Disk, by the way? I was thinking about purchasing the $3 a month service, but was wondering if it would be practical, since I already have Evernote and a hard drive that I image my laptop to.

• Level 5*
What if you have ....

If I have to scan, one document at a time. Depending on document, may store locally or sync, always delete the source.

For statements (bank, credit, whatever), I've tried to eliminate snail mail and have gone paperless wherever possible. I download the PDF form of the statement and store it in a Local notebook on my home PC (I don't use the delete after import option on these).

Archived