(Archived) Android "Sync Automatically" means what?

kronhead

What exactly does the setting Sync Automatically every 15 or 30 minutes mean on Android? Does the app have to be open for this to happen? Cause I seem to have to do a manual sync on the phone, to reliably get PC updates.

And I guess the same question applies on the PC app - does the app have to be open? I guess I assumed the icon in the system tray implied it would sync in the background - but I suspect that's wrong ...

Finally - would the pay version change any of this? I know it allows offline access on the phone - but will I have to do a sync before I get to a dead zone?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan -

Sync automatically on Android makes Evernote behave like GMail. It will find any new notes on the server and download the "meta data" and thumbnails. It will also upload any changes you made if you were offline.

With Offline notebooks, the sync will download the complete note and all the attachments in the background. So, if you get on a plane and try to view your notes, you'll be able to read the content of all your notes even if you hadn't launched the application.

Without offline notebooks you can browse the note title, tags, and notebooks, but if you haven't viewed the note before on the phone (or it was updated somewhere else) then you won't see it when you're offline.

Sorry - guess I wasn't clear - i was really curious about WHEN it does the sync, or, more precisely, what conditions needs to be met for the sync to occur "automatically." Does the app have to be open? I know phone apps stay open - until the OS decides to shut them down. But I do have a habit of hitting Back repeatedly to get back to the home screen. But, even if I don't do that, there is no guarantee that the app will still be running 15 minutes from now to do another sync - is there?

Same thing on the PC - do I need to keep the app open for the periodic auto-sync to work?

Thanks

Dan

Once you've launched the app and authenticated Evernote will sync in the background checking for new notes. By default it will do this every 30 minutes although the frequency is configurable. If you reboot your phone, you need to restart the application to being the automatic sync behavior. If a network error occurs during sync, Evernote will resume sync once it is able to do so.

In addition, Evernote will sync whenever you create a note provided a network connection is available.

Premium users have more control over what data is synced. Everyone gets the same sync frequency options.

Well, I ran some tests, and phone syncs seem to work as you describe. I am pretty sure I lost one web update when a PC update overwrote it with no conflict notice, but I had no screen prints of that, and was unable to recreate it.

It does appear that if I do a PC update and immediately shut down the application, the sync will never occur. I did a phone update on the same note - it appeared on the web immediately - but, despite waiting way past the PC sync time limit, the sync does not occur until I restart the PC app. At which point I get the Conflicting Change note. Personally, I would rather get a pop-up or some pro-active notice, rather than just another note appearing - easy to miss. And the conflicting change does not itself get propagated up to the web, or to the phone, which means you have no visibility there that you lost something. Seems to me that ought to happen.

I guess I will just have to remember to do a sync anytime I do a PC update. I don't use Evernote often enough to want to just leave it up.

Dan

I wanted to use Evernote as stock-take helper. I wanted to have a picture of most of my things in my store. I made about 200 notes, average 1.3MB each and after two hours it synchronized only 5, over Wi-Fi!

My boss is agitated I am sweating. Is it taking so long or I have done something wrong?

Thanks for any tips!

The original bug was that if you took a note and then didn't navigate around within the app after that, we didn't start a sync. I don't think that should affect the rate of uploading once a sync is actually in progress.

I didn't mention that I took the snapshots offline then came back to the office to connect to Wi-Fi.

Is there a limit for notes to be synchronized? It seems that now I can not make any new notes! And I did notice this after 40 or 50 snapshots!

It is a complete disaster. I have pictures on my phone but no descriptions and serial numbers...

I also read thread 'Can't sync from phone to database' but this was no help. Wi-Fi only ticked out...

Update: after more than 19 hours all notes are synchronized now.

Archived