Make a Folder non-Searchable - is this possible?

I would like to know if there is any way to make a folder non-searchable.  In other words, keep the notes in tact in the folder but designate it so that a general search does not return results from that folder.  I tend to keep old notes around in my own archive folder and I do not want to delete them permanently.  It would be nice to keep those notes out of any general search.  I'd have to look specifically for notes in that folder or extend the regular search.

If not able to do this, it would be an interesting feature to add in the future.

• Level 5

No by a simple toggle.

Yes by using the advanced search language:

-notebook:mynotebookname 

will exclude the notebook mynotebookname from being searched.

You can add this to searches you save, to avoid a lot of typing. The same way you can exclude a full stack of notebooks from searches.

• Like 2

... or tag any notes (anywhere) i.e. with tag ".hide" and use

-tag:.hide

to exclude them from being searched. If you use several tags whose names start with ".hide" (like ".hide-private", ".hide-john") you can exclude subsets of hidden notes from being searched:

-tag:.hide-private       excludes only those
-tag:.hide-*                  excludes all with special hiding tags
-tag:.hide*                   excludes really all hidding (including with simple tag ".hide"

Seems more complicated but does not destroy a notebook structure if you want to hide some notes within given notebooks...

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes by using the advanced search language:
       -notebook:mynotebookname 

Great! My first thought was "oups - this won't work" because phrase "[-]notebook:" didn't work so far: "notebook:" had to be the first phrase in a longer string and "-notebook" didn't work at all. So I tried to use tags...

So this is one of the (OK, not the only) features of EN10, I like 😉

If the notes really are old eg from an old job or something and you are very unlikely to need them you could just export them and delete the notes. If you do need them just import them back into EN

• Like 1