Cannot find my database file

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Just purchased a Win 10 machine and trying to set up some backup protocols onto an external hard drive.  Thus, I was trying to locate the EN database file for periodic backups.

The description of the location of this file on the EN help pages is:

"If you choose to backup the Evernote data directly, the data that must be backed up lives in the C:\Users\[PC Name]\Evernote\Databases directory, so you'll want to make sure it's included in your backups.  

• Some older versions of Evernote databases may exist in the C:\Users[PC Name]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases directory.

I do not see the database file in either location.  When I go to C:\Users\[PC Name]\   I do not see an Evernote folder in that path.  And when I try the C:\Users[PC Name]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases directory option , I do not see an "Evernote" folder in that path.  Instead, I see something that says "evernote-client-updater".  If I go to AppData\Roaming\Evernote I see a folder that says "databases-off-the-record" but it doesn't have any data in it.

In short, how the heck do I find the database file?  I seem to recall that in Legacy there was a feature within EN itself that would point you directly to where that file was sitting.  I don't see that in v10.  My plan was to do periodic backups of the database file as well as all of the enex files.  I also backup my "Add to EN" folder which houses all of the pdfs that I export into EN.

Also, did a search for username.exb and could not find that file anywhere on the hard drive.  I am assuming that the newer v10 does not use that file as the database?

• Evernote Expert

If you want to backup the Evernote data directories you should retain %AppData%\Evernote

This presumes you are using the downloaded app from evernote.com

If you are using the Store version then I've no idea where the data from that is stored.

Actually you might be better backing up with an external program. I use the GitHub project evernote-backup

Others use Backuppery.

• Level 5

The path to the data is in the app settings, when you scroll way down on the opening page.

There is as well the option to change that location.

Both may be hidden when using the install through the Microsoft Store.

In general the method by backing up the data folder is workable - but requires a working client.

The better options is the GitHub project already mentioned. It creates a copy of the database, and from that ENEX files per notebook can be created by a simple command line entry. It is as well possible to install it in Docker - which allows the program to run for example on a NAS, based on a backup schedule. The benefit is that it creates ENEX files, that can be imported into many other apps, or back into EN as well.

Backuppery is a third option. But it requires a subscription, so it adds significantly to the cost of operating EN. I have no experience with it,  but probably other users here can tell.

Just want to make sure that I am understanding how to backup the data file.  The Settings gives me the following path for the Evernote local data:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

when I go there I see something like this.  There's no one actual database file like I was used to seeing on Legacy (that one was called username.exb).  Instead there are now entire folders and I don't know if the database file is one file enclosed within a folder.  When I try to use my sync software to sync this folder to an external hard drive it tells me that there are 3500 files to synch.  

image.thumb.png.e394fe58265d516ff440a9e4321f32d1.png

image.png

• Level 5
  • Solution

Each note is a folder. In it are 2 files, or more. The database holds metadata only.

Save the whole folder.

Personally I have it copied by TimeMachine. In addition I have installed the GitHub project that saves the entire content via a Python script. In an additional script it can convert the database into one ENEX file per notebook, automatically.

Thanks Pink. So if I ever have to reconstitute EN I replace the folder with the synched folder? I will also keep a backup of each notebook as an enex file just for safety. I also keep a copy of all my “Add to Evernote” folders. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

At one time, at least, and likely still, AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\ held the notes, and AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\ held the attachments. But @PinkElephant is right, the simplest and surest way is just to copy the whole AppData\Roaming\Evernote\ folder including everything under it, all of which would have some meaning.

• Level 5

@idoc correct - the idea is you quit the client. Then rename the existing folder like „….Evernote.OLD“. Then you copy the folder from the backup into the same path, practically taking the place of the folder you renamed. When starting the client it finds the new database.

Caveat: I did never try this myself. My main backup is through the copy from the GitHub project.

• Evernote Expert

To be honest, backing up the local data directories isn't a great approach. The cloud version is the master data so your local data will be overwritten by the cloud.

Better than nothing at all but much better to generate a set of ENEX files which can then be uploaded as needed.

The evernote-backup project will create the ENEX files on a schedule. I understand that Backuppery will do something similar.

Thanks, AG.  Now I understand.  At first, when I started to make very heavy use of Evernote, I was concerned about backups.  Eventually, after not making much progress, I decided to stop sweating it.  Since spending time on the Forum, and seeing posts about Github and Backupery, I've started to wonder if I should start looking again.  Thanks again for the quick response.

Vinnie