Global shortcuts enable / disable switch

So i cant post in the desktop solution so posting here.

Evernote 7 years ago ppl asked for a global toggle to disable the keyboard short cuts, now you gave an individual shortcuts disable enable. Were you able to create a global toggle switch ?

Just this past weeks something was hijacking my Alt+s shortcut on win 11,  had no idea what for along time as it launched sniping tool. well it was Evernote - for weeks i had problems with polish letters as it always opend the sniping tool via evernote short cut. Just now i figured it out by chance.

So to avid same situation down the line where some OTHER of my standard shortcuts is hijacked - do we have after 7 years an option to globally disable ALL freaking keyboard shortcuts for evernote?

And yes i AM annoyed by the software

• pchelka changed the title to Global shortcuts enable / disable switch
  • Level 5

From the discussions in the forum most users find keyboard shortcuts useful. Some may find there are some surprises, especially with non English language keyboards and spelling. I know of no other app that offers keyboard shortcuts, and at the same time has an option to turn them off completely. Most apps even don't offer an editing option.

But maybe you have an example of a popular app that has a general keyboard shortcuts kill switch ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pchelka said:

So to avid same situation down the line where some OTHER of my standard shortcuts is hijacked - do we have after 7 years an option to globally disable ALL freaking keyboard shortcuts for evernote?

This reads something like. A person stole my car. Solution: exterminate all people.

A look through the forums will show that alt+S has a long history of problems - particularly with Polish letters. I think there is also an alt+ctrl+v conflict with Excel. Other than that I think the keyboard shortcuts work well. There are only 5 global keyboard shortcuts (including the two mentioned) - global keyboard shortcuts are the only ones that work outside of EN. Switching them all off one by one would only take a few seconds.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

There are only 5 global keyboard shortcuts (including the two mentioned) - global keyboard shortcuts are the only ones that work outside of EN. Switching them all off one by one would only take a few seconds.

image.png.7d1a6514657ef06219ab6656d88112fd.png

It took me 8 seconds... is 8 still a few? Maybe I'm a slow clicker.  🤣

That's actually pretty slick that they have that -- so handy and convenient.

• Like 4

I have the same issue with alt-s in Windows 11.  The shortcut opens the Windows snipping tool instead of the Evernote Helper tool.  I filed a bug report some months ago and received the response that they're aware of the issue.  I suggest you report it too.  BTW, changing the short cut in Evernote to a different key combination didn't help, at least for me.  I suspect (and I'm a dumb end-user, not any kind of coder) that the Windows is intercepting the function request inside the operating system to launch its own utility.  Bad Windows!  Bad!:wacko:

Im agravated due to a very simple reason - I really had trouble understanding WHAT is doing this override and no it was not windows as the problem went away once i cleared ever note shortcuts

Issue it took quite a while time *for me to find it* and quite a lot of frustration, srsl you know this is a problem why not have a single switch to disable all shortcuts in setting. How i am supposed to know if there is maybe another hidden in there shortcut somewhere that will cause me problems?

Or should i by default blame the ever-note app ?

Just add a single slider in the settings  - ***all shortcuts*** global non global whatever - How hard can it be ?

• Level 5

Because "nobody -1 (=you)" seem to have any necessity.

• Most value the shortcuts.
  • Those with problems go to the help database.
  • Those with issues with specific shortcuts went through support.

The latest option is what you should do if you want anything changed.

11 hours ago, pchelka said:

why not have a single switch to disable all shortcuts in setting

Because it's easy enough to do already. The global keyboard shortcuts are grouped together and outlined for you so conveniently already. Why add unnecessary complexity that only a few people would use even if it is easy to develop?

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, pchelka said:

How hard can it be ?

It could be very hard or at least complex. How could we say. As we have seen all to vividly (with v10.59.5) small tweaks can have unexpected and significant impact.

We know that the current development effort is focused on speed and reliability. Since this is in neither area I doubt it will get attention in the short term.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, pchelka said:

Im agravated due to a very simple reason - I really had trouble understanding WHAT is doing this override and no it was not windows as the problem went away once i cleared ever note shortcuts

Issue it took quite a while time *for me to find it* and quite a lot of frustration, srsl you know this is a problem why not have a single switch to disable all shortcuts in setting. How i am supposed to know if there is maybe another hidden in there shortcut somewhere that will cause me problems?

Or should i by default blame the ever-note app ?

Just add a single slider in the settings  - ***all shortcuts*** global non global whatever - How hard can it be ?

And, just to be clear, none of the people you're talking with here work for Evernote, so none of can do it, even if it were that easy. Evernote support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The Windows shortcuts being OS-grade will always overrule any app shortcut.

So I hope you contacted the right support team - in this case the one from Microsoft.

No, actually, I didn't contact Microsoft, just Evernote.  I'm not a *****, Pink!  😀  And I prefer to spend my time doing things that could actually have a result, and contacting Microsoft is far, far down that list!

For all the moaning here about Evernote's team, they have been very responsive to me, and I think it's terrific that Federico has been so visible on the forum lately.  Compared to my experience with Microsoft - there are no words to express the difference.  

Vinnie

• Like 2