Fatal mistake

I made the fatal mistake of updating without being aware that I will lose a decade worth of private notes. Some notes became public but not up to date, some are totally lost. What a disaster. Before I close my account I would like to try recoup the private notes off an older usb enex backup. I have two questions: does anybody have a Legacy link for win 10? And what would be a similar alternative for the way Evernote used to be, with private and public note capability. Thank you

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, willoh said:

updating without being aware that I will lose a decade worth of private notes

Updating to v10 does not automatically delete notes - either you logged in to a new blank account with the wrong credentials,  or you had one or more local notebooks and opted not to convert them to online notes.  Either way your Legacy EXB file should still exist with a complete record of all your notes,  and by reinstalling the older version you should get back to normal.  If you're still missing notes,  please give us a full explanation of what exatly happened and maybe we can assist...

On 7/10/2023 at 4:19 AM, gazumped said:

Updating to v10 does not automatically delete notes - either you logged in to a new blank account with the wrong credentials,  or you had one or more local notebooks and opted not to convert them to online notes.  Either way your Legacy EXB file should still exist with a complete record of all your notes,  and by reinstalling the older version you should get back to normal.  If you're still missing notes,  please give us a full explanation of what exatly happened and maybe we can assist...

I'm not sure what I did short of freaking out, I may have tried to stop the evil update and messed something up. I have this one note that I update frequently and I can tell with certitude that after becoming public, it's missing recent info. Do you have a link to an older version that works with win 10? The one posted by Pink Elephant triggers a "can not run on your pc" message. Thank you

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, willoh said:

"can not run on your pc" message

The fact that you get this when trying to run the older version suggests you have different problems.  I have a W10 laptop that runs v6.25 quite happily.  If you're a subscriber I recommend you contact Support (we're mainly other users here) but if you can,  please screenshot this message - does it seem to be coming from Windows,  or Evernote,  or do you have an anti-virus app somewhere in the background?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Also... Does the installation complete or is this error occurring during the installation? I suspect that this is a problem with the installer rather than Evernote.

You have the option to use Windows' System Restore and go back to an image prior to the upgrade.