Please bring back the tabs that were in Mac legacy

abc0000

Idea

Hi, 

I know you have a lot of requests for this. It's for a reason. The tabs are hugely helpful. I am not getting notes in Legacy that I should upgrade, but I can't, because I need the tabs. 

Please. 

Thanks.

• Like 5

13 replies to this idea

Hi PinkElephant,

can you plese help me understand the following two aspects:
- Why was the tab functionality removed from the new version? What was the business and UX rationale behind this?
- What is technically stopping you from adding the tab functionality back to the application?
- What kind of research you did around the financial impact of not implementing this functionality back (cost of annoying and eventually losing customers)?

I must admit that the explanation provided above seems quite arogant and suggest a limited ability to listen to your customers. From experience it leads to an application usage decline if Product Managers don't develop the app for their customers (they tend to go somewhere else).

Best,
Marcin

• Like 2

I was just checking again to see if tab functionality had been reintroduced, as initially promised in ticket responses. But now I'm even happier with other note-taking apps than I was with Evernote after I got used to them and transferred the data.
My personal recommendation: Joplin or Obsidian: Free to use, open source and more secure, many extensions can be installed (including multiple tabs)... So if you are dissatisfied with Evernote, just give it a try.
I'm currently excited about AnyType, but it's still in the beta phase.

• Like 1

Right now I need to work with 3 notes simultaneously.

If the desktop app had the tab feature, my work would be much faster.

Currently I need to open each note in an individual window and, as Cmd+Tab doesn't help in this case, I have to keep switching screens and looking for others to move from one note to another.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Tabs were never removed - the new apps were created 100% fresh, not a single line of code was carried over. So each single feature we have today was added, all of them.

All features from the old apps were reviewed, use frequency was analyzed etc. Features that were rarely used were dropped. Features that existed in one client only automatically came under more scrutiny than features that existed on several clients. So it’s not hard to see why it was not implemented: Not enough use, exotic feature from the Mac app. The financial impact is zero, quite obviously. The new apps are in the wild since 3 years now, without tabs. Whoever wanted to leave just because there were no tabs (which I regard as quite theoretical, just to tell) already left.

Saying this happened to all more exclusive features can be proven wrong: Import Folders only existed on Windows with legacy. They are now available on all desktop clients.

I don’t say tabs will never show up. But this thread is full of WANNA HAVE, but very short of posts explaining why tabs would be beneficial. Why should EN invest into a feature that even by its alcolytes can not be properly explained ? Just telling „because it was there in legacy“ is no argument, and not enough, by far.

• Level 5

Good. Checking is always nice, that’s why we have such a nice checklist tool in v10. Checked, checkmarked, strikeout, bam, take that, ugly checkbox ! 

But I deviate, this is about tabs and legacy and life without it. Now explain how the 90% of EN legacy users who were on Windows ever made it ?! No tabs on Windows, never ever.

OK, maybe it’s insane to use a PC when you could have a Mac, and that explains it. But still … ?

Oh, are there no multiple tabs in the programs under Windows? I've actually been using a Mac for many years, and not just because of the tabs in many programs...

• Level 5

Legacy Windows never had tabs. This was a unique feature of legacy Mac. Like Import folders: These existed only for legacy Windows.

With v10 now we got Import Folders on the Mac as well, so I would say the glass is „half full“.

Completely agree with MarcinS.   Tabs are critical.   Ignore customers at your own peril.   

I have not upgraded in a long time, because I need tabs to function. I am being forced to upgrade in a few weeks, and the new version (for Mac) does not have tabs.   I am considering switching to an app that has tabs, and more importantly, listens to its customers. 

Why tabs?  Same reason why they're useful for web browsers.  Makes for easier organization.