Unknown devices keep showing up

I have logged on to Evernote for the first time in three years and a lot has changed since then. 

Now before I can even do anything the limited device notification comes up. I have only ever logged on to Evernote with one device before. 

When choosing to unsync devices a list of at least 8 devices popped up, all from at least over 20 months ago. I chose all of them to be deleted. 

I saved and updated. 

I then signed in with my phone as well and got the same notification. As I opened the list to unsync again, one device - that is not mine - shows up. So I delete it. 

Back on my laptop I again get the notification that I can only be signed in on two devices, so I open the list and that device that I just deleted on my phone is still there. So I try to delete. But then get signed out because you can only delete 2 times a month. 

I check on my phone, go to the list, now see another device that is not mine and that wasn't there before but which, according to the list, was from 24 months ago. Of course I can't delete because I can only do it twice a month. So I automatically get signed out. 

By now I'm suspicious. I used to love Evernote but now I feel they only want you to use the paid version so they make it difficult to use the free version??? 

I deleted the whole list of devices in the first place. So how do new devices, but from like over 20 months ago, keep popping up on the list. That I can't delete, because in the free version you can only delete twice????? 

I should be worried that these devices apparently logged onto my account. But they keep popping up after I deleted the whole list! Still saying that was from over 20 months ago. 

Just confused right now. And not motivated to use Evernote if that's an issue. But if it can be explained and solved, I appreciate the support. 

• Evernote Expert

The Free plan has a limit of two devices connected to the account. It also has a limit of two device disconnections per month.

So it is likely, in the situation you describe, that you will fall foul of the disconnections restriction.

The easiest option would be to subscribe for one month and gain the ability to tidy up your devices then cancel your subscription.

While you are at it, change your password in case your account for compromised while you were away.

The cheaper option would be to close your old account and open a new Evernote account and start from the beginning with the new account.

• Level 5

Sometimes the confusion about „different“ devices is happening because you may have changed something in your setup while not using EN in the last  years.

You will have likely not logged out and then deleted it from your account when switching to a new phone, for example.

The best way now would have been to log out of your account on all devices. Then use the login on the EN website to get at your account. Unsync all devices there - the ones as well you want to continue to use.

Then log in fresh on the 1 or 2 devices you want to use.

Since cleaning up your account situation will probably require several unsyncs, the best option would be to subscribe for a month and sort things out.